Rain and Limp mode

mobz

When it rains overnight, I start my joinery to work as usual, reach a little steep hill approx. 500m down the road, increase gas, then there a funny noise, the turbo cuts out : (

Turn the car off then back on again - cars fine - usually doesn't happen again

Odd thing is this only happens on wet/damp conditions.

In the dry it's absolutely fine

I'm pretty sure it's not sticky vanes on the turbo

Brief car background;

04 plate, asz, hybrid

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dann2707 epic idea! I do have a FMIC so you could well be correct buddy

I was thinking about water getting into something, but seems odd after turning the car off then back on again it all seems fine for the rest of the journey/whole day.

Motech performance based in Northants carried out the remap

Holmesie - I have a sensor not sure which, but it's near the drivers side headlight (on the aftermarket boost pipe), I think this gets wet time to time. Could this be it? Hmmmm

I too approve of Danns idea, Holmsie may also be onto something since that sensor on the boost pipe is probably the boost pressure sensor.

Waterproof the connector and wiring on the sensor and if it still does it then your remap might be sailing too close to the wind and the car is sensing overboost slightly when the inlet air charge is particularly dense when the FMIC is cold and wet.

Remember that the signal output of a MAP-type sensor is the combination of inlet air pressure AND temperature since the ECU is trying to calculate the net oxygen content of the inlet air which depends on both these things. If the ECU decides it cannot provide enough fuel to burn with the oxygen it will flag an overboost and shut down the turbo.

Wow great work guys! Really appreciate all the help! This is why I love this site, always a lot of smart people happy to help!

I shall try sealing the sensor, see how that works, if no luck, may end up getting the map slightly tweaked : )

Thanks all!!!

• 3 years later...
On 2014-1-4 at 21:55, mobz said:

Was scanned and advised potential overboost, however seems odd it only overboosts in the rain

I'm having exactly same as you and that came up on mine.. mine did it again today. Only when it's been raining though..