Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 105ps Running issues and MPG Problems

All sounds a bit odd.   Power at Flywheel is extrapolated from measure torque at rear wheels, then the "Torque*Pi*Revs/sec*2" and the then trasmission losses from the wind down cycle.

To loss 45 horsepower in transmission would require such loss that it would manifest itself in one or more of the comopents by way of heat or noise.  But 45 Hp is about 33 Kw ie nearly 17 two bar electric fires of energy.  The only component I can think of that deals with that much power are the brakes ie very badly binding.

Transmission losses would be no more than 15 hp for a conventional gearbox and drive system ie circa 10-15%.   I would summise from this logic that the engine is possibly only producing about 80 hp, which seems logical for the way you said the car felt.

Sorry you have given up on the Fabia and it does fill me with some worry as have in mind a 90 hp 1.6D DSG !        

Unfortunately the dealer don't give a ****. The service manager doesn't seem to know very much about cars and the dealer principal insists that the car is perfect. 

I've wasted the last week of my life trying to sort this out, on top of the 10 or so visits it has had to the dealership since we've owned the car. We're moving to France in the new year and I have so much stuff to sort before we go that arguing with a crap dealer is very low on my list of priorities. 

I certainly would never recommend that anyone ever buys a car from Startin Skoda in Worcester and I'd think very hard before buying another 1.6CR VAG Engine. 

I've got my eye on a BMW 318d Touring. It's such a shame because we really really wanted to like the Fabia. It would have been a 10 year car for us, but all I see in it's future are more very expensive problems. 

So sorry Skoda, but I'm out. 

Unfortunately the dealer don't give a ****. The service manager doesn't seem to know very much about cars and the dealer principal insists that the car is perfect. 

I've wasted the last week of my life trying to sort this out, on top of the 10 or so visits it has had to the dealership since we've owned the car. We're moving to France in the new year and I have so much stuff to sort before we go that arguing with a crap dealer is very low on my list of priorities. 

I certainly would never recommend that anyone ever buys a car from Startin Skoda in Worcester and I'd think very hard before buying another 1.6CR VAG Engine. 

I've got my eye on a BMW 318d Touring. It's such a shame because we really really wanted to like the Fabia. It would have been a 10 year car for us, but all I see in it's future are more very expensive problems. 

Certainly a tale for us all to learn from. We bought one car from Startin Skoda and certainly felt the service from Sales and Service was very average and after buying some Skodas from what was the Brooklyn Group have used Savilles Garage in Kidderminster which we have found excellent for both Sales and Service.

Which Rolling Road did you use for you power test??

Having recently come back from Summer Holidays in France I was pleasantly suprised to see how many Dacias there were. Clearly many French buyers are sick of paying inflated Euro land prices and see the value of the Dacia, the modern day Skoda brand, though some Skodas are still good value ie the Rapid/Toledo most are nothing like the value they were a few years ago.

Diagnosis seems to be the main issue here as well as service, taking the dealer to the Northern or Western bypasses in Worcester in your car and a similar car should have dyno'd the cars quite accurately. Claines roundabout to the flat where the Blackpool turning is, should be flying (90-ish) by the top of the hill, good enough benmark for me. What the Fabia VRS is doing at that time I will take the Fifth Amendment.

Edited by lol-lol

Really sorry you couldn't sort this issue out.I agree that I wouldn't buy from Startin Skoda in Worcester and I live about as close to them as you. I purchased the MonteCarlo Tech from Brooklyn in Redditch even though it is much further away and have to say that both sales and the subsequent 2services have been excellent.

If you would like a second opinion on your car or even to try mine feel free to contact me. I PM'd my number a few days ago.

ATB Dave

Thanks Dave. I'm just waiting to speak to Skoda UK again, but I doubt they'll have anything too positive to add. I didn't realise that Startin had such a poor reputation, but everyone I've mentioned them too has said the same.

Thanks for sending me your number, I just wanted to see how this plays out before troubling you for any of your time. I'll keep you updated. :D

Certainly a tale for us all to learn from. We bought one car from Startin Skoda and certainly felt the service from Sales and Service was very average and after buying some Skodas from what was the Brooklyn Group have used Savilles Garage in Kidderminster which we have found excellent for both Sales and Service.

Which Rolling Road did you use for you power test??

Having recently come back from Summer Holidays in France I was pleasantly suprised to see how many Dacias there were. Clearly many French buyers are sick of paying inflated Euro land prices and see the value of the Dacia, the modern day Skoda brand, though some Skodas are still good value ie the Rapid/Toledo most are nothing like the value they were a few years ago.

Diagnosis seems to be the main issue here as well as service, taking the dealer to the Northern or Western bypasses in Worcester in your car and a similar car should have dyno'd the cars quite accurately. Claines roundabout to the flat where the Blackpool turning is, should be flying (90-ish) by the top of the hill, good enough benmark for me. What the Fabia VRS is doing at that time I will take the Fifth Amendment.

Hi lol-lol.

The dyno run was done at PowerStation in Tewkesbury. Here's the result.

10620036_10154711718380478_6915495662864

We've noticed a huge presence of Dacias in France too. We did test drive a Duster a while ago, but I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. If you want aircon you have to buy the top spec model and it's over 17k. Probably still great value, but I just didn't like it. 

Maybe a Stepway would be a giggle. 

Hello.

I have a 1.6 cr Fabia and getting around 56mpg - but if I drive around malvern and to Ledbury where I work - normally warming up when I get to work, I know it's getting a lot better once warm and on longer trips, my wife can drop it down to around 40 when dropping off the kids doing short trips and around malvern ( may be the hills ) I would like to add got car from blade in Gloucester but had the last 3 services done and 2 faults done at Startin skoda and very happy with service, Rebecca very helpful.

David

As you can see you I have similar car to you. I have now done 47000 miles in four years and regularly return 490 miles on a tank but have achieved more than 520+. I like the car as it was my first new car paid for by myself alone. But the fuel consumption has always been disappointing particularly in the winter.

The engine is refined and quiet but you do need to keep the revs up. Even after all this time, I have to remind myself not to change up into 5th until I hit 60 due to the high gearing.