ABS pickup ring distance to sensor / inspection for damage?

Hey guys, this is driving me nuts now!

Basically my front right abs sensor isn't getting any signal, i've just done some logs in vcds and all 3 wheels are moving on the screen apart from this one that displays 1km/hr, it doesn't fluctuate it literally stays at 1 forever.

I've changed my ABS sensor so that's all new, however looking down the hole, i'm now aware of which way i'm supposed to be looking, at the bottom of the hole not the top! Am I supposed to see the ring quite clearly? As it looks like it's spaced quite apart but I have nothing to base it on without removing the other side which would probably be just as hard to remove (had to drill this one out)

Am I supposed to be able to see the ring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPyKXEVCn0

Is there any other way I can inspect the ring to see if it's damaged or would I have to remove the whole unit back to this stage: 

10840391993_759fe4142b_b.jpg

So annoyed as I'm going up to Newcastle Friday for a job interview and need my car working perfectly, along with going to Uni to do some work :( Arrgghhh help me please

Edited by Dann2707

Swap the sensor from the other side, ?

What is the fault code? Does it say electrical fault or mechanical? I have seen the ring get damaged by the bearing housing starting to rust

I've fitted the new abs sensor today mate so it won't be that. 

The fault code is http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00285

00285 -  ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)

35-00 -   -

Sadly it doesn't say whether it's electrical or mechanical :(

I'm starting to think it's the ring pickup that's damaged now. Can't find anything that shows mevisually how close the pickup ring is supposed to be sticking out down that hole. 

I wouldn't mind driving like that but it's the fact it's kicking in ABS and violently pulling the car left and right, not just gradually but literally yanking the wheel from my small child like hands lol

Edited by Dann2707

oh if it is doing that then it will be the ring damaged, it is most likely missing a couple of magnetic strips so the abs is getting an incorrect signal, new bearing time I'm afraid, mate

Dude out cars have type 2 wheel bearings that need a special tool to fit.

If the local garage used a press it will have knackered it so the magnetic part will no longer work.

What you need is something like this to check it

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/Magnetic/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtU4koy-iUc

The vid above will help you understand about type2 bearings

Found the problem guys, the bearing looks like it's slid out by a bit and the ring that holds the bearing in was completely loose.

Not only that but there looks like there's a big gouge taken out of the pick up ring as shown :( Not sure if it was like that or if it will still work, going to press the bearing in more and see if it picks it up on vagcom when the wheels are spinning before assembling / fitting a new bearing. 

Gap was way more than 0.3mm, more like 3-4mm

11852877855_9d7cfa04cd_b.jpg

Note the gouge on the top left of the ring :(

11853669206_08eb49d4d4_b.jpg

And finally the ring was completely loose and you can see the bearing is protruding by about 3-4mm!

11853152683_76de7cb715_b.jpg

11853148043_1398d5abc1_b.jpg

Hopefully this might help someone else in the future but...

I can confirm that they've pressed the bearing properly in and now VCDS is picking it up that the bearing is properly moving, was only sticking at 1km/hr previously as said. Really really happy, just gotta eat then put it all back together!

Did you watch the video that spud31 posted?

If they suggest you don't even touch the magnetic ring with a screwdriver, I'm afraid I can't see it working correctly in the region of that damage that your pic shows.

Hope I'm wrong!

When pottering along it will pull left and right fairly strongly. And when accelerating it pulls right and under heavy braking it also pulls right. Feels like the lower wishbone might be loose in the console but the bushes were replaced about 3 months ago!

I'm wondering if the bearing coming out has damaged something else?

Any ideas? I don't think its the cv joint as there are no noises, no drones or clicking. Just this awful pull.

Reads like something's too loose or way out of alignment. Get the consoles checked, that they're solidly mounted and the bolts are holding. Wouldn't be the first time a thread has stripped.

Could possibly be a broken spring or ARB issue. An alignment check, a proper one might give clues as to where to look.

I'm going to jack it up first thing in the morning and check over everything, if I can't find it i'll drive it up to the garage to see what they say.

Springs were also changed recently too and they're fine after inspecting them.

From what I can gather it looks like i've gone too fast out of a corner maybe from testing the rarb, it's pulled the bearing out and consequently ripped the console bush or pulled the bolt out/ snapped it etc. 

Place your bets people! At my expense :( haha

that bearing was never pushed all the way in to start with, the locking tines are all intact on the pic and they won't come out without breaking first. .

the pulling sounds like tracking is out but if you have changed console bushes and springs it will need checking anyway.

Okay so today I woke up early (10am lol) to find the problem. Jacked the car up and as it was daylight I could easily see what the problem was! Look at the wishbone ball joints...

Offside:

11868833695_3b7d189f04_b.jpg

Nearside:

11869109323_be42ffc219_b.jpg

11869260804_47c0a5d6c7_b.jpg

It had totally undone itself, which i'm not sure how that's happened as it's a nylon nut?!

Anyway I've tightened it up and after a drive the car is now  100% perfect. So happy i've found the problem and it was an easy fix!! Thank you all for the help :)

11868823575_892f807572_b.jpg

Please replace that nut with a new one.  Nyloc nuts shouldn't be re-used.  I suspect it came undone because someone had previously re-used it. I'd be tempted to do the other side too in case that's another disaster waiting to happen.

Someone has also fitted the 3 bolts that hold the balljoint to the wishbone the other way up on the offside.  Who did the console bushes, a garage?

I'll get 2 ordered asap. Do you know what size nut I'd need? 

Regarding the 3 bolts that are upside down, that was my doing! Shouldn't make a difference though should it? I fitted the console bushes too.