Which cars can I rob the handbrake springs off?

Fitted these as o/s caliper was binding slightly,lots of 3 in 1 & tapping the arms back when parking up has freed it up but still having trouble adjusting the cables,the yoke thingy doesn't want to sit straight as soon as there's a bit of tension on it it goes lop sided.

Anyone know if these wear out or are available as a replacement on its own.

Well, going back many years when my wife's 2003MY Polo 9n first had this problem, I made that dumb assumption! Searching through my VAG parts list revealed that you could only buy the complete cable assembly, not to be stuck, I found that you could order a new yoke in for a Golf - job done! Now with new yoke in hand I realised that the original was okay, just canted to one side - ie a stuck/sticking/faulty calliper. Cleaned everything up brakes okay for a week or so, repeat resetting piston, brakes okay for a week or so, added external springs, brakes okay for 9 months or so - that is as good as I've made them without replacing callipers.

Incidently, it does tend to be the O/S that causes most problems it seems by reading these postings on all VAG Fabia/Polo/Ibiza forums.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Found a galaxy up the scrapyard so got them off. The guy told me to take them so got them for free which was a bonus. Freed it off and fitted, brake pedal feels firm again and it now has a good handbrake. Well happy :)

20140109_112214_zpslqhap216.jpg20140109_112239_zpsn0j5jrah.jpg

I've got a set rattlnig around in my glove box as while they fit my car they don't fit Mrs Pasty's car.

not sure why, some comment about there already being something in the required holes...

Well, going back many years when my wife's 2003MY Polo 9n first had this problem, I made that dumb assumption! Searching through my VAG parts list revealed that you could only buy the complete cable assembly, not to be stuck, I found that you could order a new yoke in for a Golf - job done! Now with new yoke in hand I realised that the original was okay, just canted to one side - ie a stuck/sticking/faulty calliper. Cleaned everything up brakes okay for a week or so, repeat resetting piston, brakes okay for a week or so, added external springs, brakes okay for 9 months or so - that is as good as I've made them without replacing callipers.

Incidently, it does tend to be the O/S that causes most problems it seems by reading these postings on all VAG Fabia/Polo/Ibiza forums.

Fair enough,was just a thought lol,brakes don't bind & handbrake works so i'll put the cover back on & ignore til september time. :giggle:

The "1KO" or "7M0" relates to the platform that the parts were initially designed for, so you should never find them attached to the end of a VAG part number - they will always be at the front of any VAG part numbers. As said above already, try a VW car parts place (or TPS) and ask for springs for the original Sharan.

So are 7H0615296 & 7H0615295A the same as 1K0615295 & 1K0615296?

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered these yesterday, came today went to put them on and they don't fit, don't look like there supposed to either.

They look right to me.

Did you have the hand brake on when trying to fit?

• 6 months later...

I've just purchased these ones from Silbury Skoda on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SKODA-SEAT-AUDI-O-S-R-N-S-R-REAR-HAND-BRAKE-SPRINGS-7H0615295A-7H0615296-PAIR-/271569169803?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f3ac8ad8b

They look ever so different to the ones in the Picture that tommccabevrs showed they sell those as well but they have the different part numbers 1K0615296 1K0615295.