Superb Peeling Paint Help!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Briskoda Forum and would like some help if at all possible. I gather there are links and threads on the forum somewhere but i seem to have a peeling paint problem on my front bumper. It started with, suddenly a small area of paint peeling between the grille and headlight on the front bumper about the size of a thumb nail. At first i thought it was a stone chip and touched it up smartly to protect the paint. About a week later after cleaning the car i noticed a blemish, again on the front bumper right next to the area that had a peeled previously. On closer observation it was a large blister of paint and when i touched it, it just moved across the bumper. I took the car back to the dealers the next day (4th November) to try and get a remedy and the dealer took photographs and said they would have to send it to the warranty department but didn't think it would be successful as they reckoned it was a stone chip, even though the paint was undamaged and blistered.

This is where the trail went cold. I ended up making various phone calls there after to fobbed off constantly with excuses like stone chipping, excess use of a jet wash and paintwork wasn't covered under warranty. I even tried to speak with Skoda UK but they have been of little help only acting as an intermediary and passing messages back and forth. The problem i have now is that i have what is a 4" x 2" section of missing paintwork that just keeps getting bigger and bigger and i literally am at the end of my tether in which way to turn next. This is the 2nd Skoda i've owned and found the service from my previous dealer impeccable, but this time it just seems that this dealer is being totally evasive. Sorry for the long post but has anyone any suggestions or had this happen to them and got the issue resolved? Hoping someone out there can help?

post-112543-0-65062800-1389727203_thumb.jpg

post-112543-0-17688200-1389727232_thumb.jpg

Regular problem and common amongst VAG I think, there appears to be an inherent issue with painting plastic bumpers. I had the same problem but on the rear - originally dealer suggested it was due to stone chips thrown up from rear wheels but in the end they relented and repaired under warranty.

Thanks everyone for the posts, i printed off some of your threads and emailed over to the dealer along with relative pages from the warranty handbook and owners manuals hopefully to quash some of the excuses i have been having. They have now contacted me and want to see the car again to be inspected by the after sales manager.

I'm hoping this is positive and not just a bull excrement exercise again.

I shan't name the dealer outright at present as there still is a glimmer of hope but they are in Stourbridge West Midlands.

To be honest as mentioned earlier it is some of the worst customer service i have received since owning my own vehicles including a previous Skoda, they completely mucked up my finance when i bought the car, the car wasn't properly cleaned ready for me when i collected it, When i booked it in for it's first service i reported an issue with the folding mirrors not working and when i received it back they still weren't working and they said it would have to be re-booked in to have a diagnostic put on the vehicle to find the fault. I actually solved the problem myself from posts on this site and ended up explaining to the dealer how i did it, and now this just about tops it all off.

Mellyboy's right, on a couple of occasions Skoda UK have bent over backwards to help when the dealer's come up short (got me a superb estate in November rented from Avis in Birmingham delivered to my house as a courtesy car when dealer would only give me a citigo for 2 weeks warranty work - I live in central Scotland!) Give them a call - ŠKODA customer services - 08457 745 745

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

I shan't name the dealer outright at present as there still is a glimmer of hope but they are in Stourbridge West Midlands.

Not too hard to narrow down though.

At least progress is being made.

Just an update so far. Took the vehicle in on Friday for further photographs and prodding and poking to be undertaken. Still no decision though. I can't believe what they were coming out with this time though. I took some of the printed off comments off this site with me to show that this wasn't an isolated incident and other peoples issues had been resolved under warranty. The response was "Skoda Uk won't take any notice of those". When i asked why, i was told that there were too many spurious and false comments made on these type of sites. I was absolutely flabbergasted!!!!

With regards to the guys who've mentioned contacting Skoda Uk, as per Silver1011 comments they have been on board since before Christmas and have not made an ounce of difference at this point other than they keep phoning me every fortnight to ask if i have had any news from the dealer. The conversation usually goes with Skoda UK:

Skoda Uk: Hello this is ********* from Skoda Uk have you had any feedback from the dealer?

Me: (Exchange of pleasantries) no i don't get any feedback from the dealer, as i have said previously the dealer does not contact me i have to chase them constantly.

Skoda Uk: Oh right, we have spoken with them and they have reported evidence of jet washing of the vehicle.

Me: And what evidence is this and are you telling me that Skoda's paintwork can't withstand general jet washing with a domestic type jet washer.

Skoda Uk: I don't know, i'm just reporting back what the dealer has informed us.

Me: Well that's just another excuse they are trying to use to get out of repairing the car under warranty, is there not anything you can do to help the situation?

Skoda Uk: Well no we are reliant on the dealer passing it through their system and we can only monitor it from our end. Do you want for us to leave the case open or can we close the case?

Me: Well the issue hasn't been resolved so how can you close the case.

Skoda Uk: Ok we'll leave the case open and contact you again to see if there has been any further developments..................

And this has been the same merry-go-round since November 4th when i first raised the issue..........hence the frustration!!!

That's the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard from a dealer.

I take it that their car valeter only uses a mains pressure hose and a bucket and sponge!, I dont think so!

Every second person who owns a car owns a pressure washer of some type and car manufacturers always state in their manual to beware of these cleaning tools due to possible damage but then they sell thousands of cars to hire companies who as you well know wash the cars between punters VERY BADLY using nasty chemicals and power washers. Poor paintwork is always a problem which every manufacturer tries to avoid liability for under warranty. A stone chip on a properly painted car should remain a stone chip, ok it may allow rust to form if it is deep enough on metal if not addressed but on plastic water should not begin to penetrate if the paint adheres to the car properly. MANUFACTURING FAULT end of story.

As I said earlier! AUTO EXPRESS.

My Superb is washed every week and I use a hot water pressure washer and I have no problem so the fault is with the car.

Good luck!

That's the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard from a dealer.

I take it that their car valeter only uses a mains pressure hose and a bucket and sponge!, I dont think so!

Every second person who owns a car owns a pressure washer of some type and car manufacturers always state in their manual to beware of these cleaning tools due to possible damage but then they sell thousands of cars to hire companies who as you well know wash the cars between punters VERY BADLY using nasty chemicals and power washers. Poor paintwork is always a problem which every manufacturer tries to avoid liability for under warranty. A stone chip on a properly painted car should remain a stone chip, ok it may allow rust to form if it is deep enough on metal if not addressed but on plastic water should not begin to penetrate if the paint adheres to the car properly. MANUFACTURING FAULT end of story.

As I said earlier! AUTO EXPRESS.

My Superb is washed every week and I use a hot water pressure washer and I have no problem so the fault is with the car.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments and i totally agree. I have just dropped my car into a body shop to have some vandalism damage repaired on the rear boot lid. The comments they made regarding the front bumper was the paint has not adhered to the plastic at all and it will continue to spread until the peeling paint either meets a section where correct preparation has taken place or the bumper is removed and the paint removed and reapplied correctly.

With regard to Auto Express this will be my next port of call i think. I will give the dealer and Skoda Uk another couple of days and go from there. (Not very hopeful mind)

Thanks for the support.