G251 Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Failure. Code 01279

Hi Folks !

Have got this sensor failure on my MK 1 Octavia 4x4 Turbo. Seems to be causing some confusion for dealership when my mechanic is looking into it. It causes both the abs and traction control lamps to come on, but can often be reset on the ignition. The problems we are having are A) its location, and B) is it repair or replace ? If anyone has a recommendation for someone who repairs the module, love to hear from you. Any help would be appreciated

The longitudinal sensor is located on the passenger side behind the dash, there's a panel you can remove when the passenger door is opened, it's in a little gold coloured metal clip with 2 little finger type things holding it, it's quite tricky to get to, might be easier if you remove the glovebox insert..

The lateral acceleration sensor is on the bottom of the steering column.

Quite common for them to go wrong, there is a procedure in vcds to reset them if they are out of calibration but it won't help if the sensor is open circuit. They are around £120 from the skoda dealer. The actual sensor is the same physical part both longitude and lateral but it's only the physical location which is different... ie: you could swap them round if you wanted to, worth having a look down a beakers yard for them, same sensor used on about 50 vag group cars.

I'm not entirely sure what's inside them, probably just a 5p component from maplin, probably just an accelerometer semiconductor device or similar, might be possible to repair it.. Like I said I can't confirm becuas I've never bothered to open one up to look

I replaced these on my MK 4 Golf, got the new ones off Ebay from a TT breaker in Kent, easy to change but fiddly as said above.

Just get the numbers off yours and you will find a lot of them about.

Sensors

They are difficult to get to pieces without destroying them, the one I removed was filled with silicone type stuff to seal it

These are the ones from GOLF

post-70698-0-46405500-1389809313_thumb.jpg

post-70698-0-62404000-1389809340_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone definitely say where the location of the longitudinal sensor is; is it behind the passenger glovebox or under the steering column ? Reason I ask is Ross-Tech says I have a failure of the longitudinal acceleration sensor G251, having taken things to bits and found the sensor behind the pass glovebox that part number is 1J2907638a which looking up Google corresponds to the lateral sensor ? But the post above states the lateral sensor is on bottom of steering column ? Any help appreciated cheers

The longitudinal sensor is located on the passenger side behind the dash, there's a panel you can remove when the passenger door is opened, it's in a little gold coloured metal clip with 2 little finger type things holding it, it's quite tricky to get to, might be easier if you remove the glovebox insert..

The lateral acceleration sensor is on the bottom of the steering column.

Quite common for them to go wrong, there is a procedure in vcds to reset them if they are out of calibration but it won't help if the sensor is open circuit. They are around £120 from the skoda dealer. The actual sensor is the same physical part both longitude and lateral but it's only the physical location which is different... ie: you could swap them round if you wanted to, worth having a look down a beakers yard for them, same sensor used on about 50 vag group cars.

Are you 100% sure on the location for the longitudinal sensor as being behind glovebox ?