Would a garage buy my car (not as a trade in)?

Hi

Trying to sell my car but having absolutely no luck whatsoever! Does anybody know whether a garage would buy a car - not as a trade in but just to add to their stock? I dont have much experience n this area and have tried selling on gumtree, autotrader and ebay but have not had a single call..(despite plenty of web views).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong - don't think the car is overpriced and it's in good condition with FSH and some fairly major work just done - new clutch and timing belt. However I don't live in an area with a big "catchment" and it might just be time of the year...

Please save me from webuyanycar.com!

thanks

An independent or small garage may buy your car but they will generally offer you much less than it's worth, as an example I traded in a 2007 Golf GT with 35k miles a few months back at a main dealer, they then advertised it for £1k more than they gave me PX. I still managed to get £1700 more than WBAC were offering though.

Also WBAC will give you a price online and then when you actually go to their site they offer you less.

Also to help sell your car via classifieds I would suggest that you do searches for what you are selling, work out the average price of the other cars up for sale and then knock a few quid off, £100 - £200. You need to get the buyers attention so things like low miles and options are things to play on, as are long MOT's, TAX and FSH.

Thanks Nigelz - good to hear that you can potentially get a better price from a dealer than WBAC. TBH I've priced the car quite a bit lower (over £1,000) than most I've seen on ebay or autotrader ,miles are ok for year (2006), has a FSH and 9 months tax (3 months MOT) - but still no interest!

Probably the issues is that it's a 2.0FSi Elegance hatch - had it been an estate, vRS or diesel I'm sure i would have had a few calls...

Hi ethos

Link attached - i've had the car up for around 3 weeks now and have already dropped the price by £450 - really need to seel it on as quick as i can due to buying a newer Octy.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/skoda-octavia-20-fsi-elegance-83800-mies-2006-55-plate-rare-high-spec/1044870067

Hopefully this won't get stopped by the moderators ...

I'd reword the ad a bit  - use dot points if possible & point out the benefits of some of the features - eg: timing belt done at 83k miles  = nothing to do until 160k (or whatever it is).  Done 84k miles - very low for age (it is for AUS).  Just sya it's got "tyres with plenty of life" (something like that).  I wouldn't worry about mentioning the 2 owners either.

The photos don't get me in at all - silver car on a dull day?.  We all have a mate with an excessively big camera that thinks he can take photos.  Get him in on the job - preferably on the 1 sunny day a year that you get in the UK. :-)

Also, send emails out to all your friends & workmates & post it on fb etc.  People are often looking for a cheap car but don't tell their friends.

Edited by brad1.8T

Thanks Nigelz - good to hear that you can potentially get a better price from a dealer than WBAC. TBH I've priced the car quite a bit lower (over £1,000) than most I've seen on ebay or autotrader ,miles are ok for year (2006), has a FSH and 9 months tax (3 months MOT) - but still no interest!

Probably the issues is that it's a 2.0FSi Elegance hatch - had it been an estate, vRS or diesel I'm sure i would have had a few calls...

Cheaper isn't always better. If it's cheaper people may think there's something wrong with it.

Maybe don't mention the mpg in the ad? Although it's good for a 2.0 petrol it will not sell the car. I had trouble selling my 2.0 TFSI a few years ago and same last year with my 2.0 petrol mondeo. There's a really limited market for 2 litre petrol cars these days. 

Also January not the best month for selling a car as many people skint after Christmas. 

• Like 1