Ferodo DS2500's, Performance pad? My Arse.

James I

I sent the email with disc pictures and as they were like new and not blue from tempering the rust answer came back. Rust is not covered by Ferodo warranty. And I posted the wrong email up, see the stress I am under with all this  :happy:

Here is the rust theory.

Hi Jamie,

I have spoken with the Ferodo UK importer after you called earlier and he advised of what the issue actually is but did advise its not a manufacturing fault. The reason the pads have done this is actually rust. The DS2500 pad contains a high ferrous metal content and when left the ferrous metals start to corrode and they expand as this happens, much like rust on a vehicle body, and this makes the pad edges start to crumble away. Although this scenario is not great there is no way to prevent this from happening and its not a manufacturing fault of the pad.

Regards Rob

Rob Watkins

Sales Manager

Larkspeed Ltd

Tel: 01132643231

Mail: [email protected]

Web: www.larkspeed.com

Thanks for your interest in Larkspeed. We hope you find any quotes acceptable and that we have dealt with your enquiry well.

Oh my life it gets better, they are turning to social media to try to figure out why their own pads are goosed after a couple of hundred miles.

The rust thing is understandable but not excusable unless they explicitly state that these pads cannot be left on an infrequently run motor vehicule. Does this extend to every occasional weekend toy?

The road legality on these is a grey area, so are they expecting track only cars to get run every day?

Grrrr annoying when a company won't suck it up and accept their responsibilities

That's a pretty poor customer service

Would have cost little to send out some replacements, rather than peeing a customer off

Have heard good things about about EBC Blue

The bedding in instructions the blue stuff basically the same as for DS2500/DS3000

I had a set of EBC Bluestuff - lasted a couple of hundred miles before the top edge crumbled. That wasn't the EBC of old either, that was a new set of pads earlier in 2013. I sent images over to Andy at EBC and he wasn't terribly interested so I shan't bother trying any more of his products.

Blue are apparently sintered and supposed to not need bedding in like an ordinary pad.

I'm currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons between Hawk HP+ at £120, Carbone Lorraine RC5+ at £160 and Pagid Blue at £200+.

Used DS2500 for along time never had a problem with them... Even after having discs glowing there were still okay

so what happened to mine?  I am at a loss as to why £150 pads died so young, also at a loss to the dire customer service attitude of Ferodo so they can screw themselves if they think they are getting any more of my money.

Maybe, just maybe I was sold a defective set of pads?  Everybody else seems to be having no issue with them.

I bought them in July last year for the MOT along with brand new discs too, I have only clocked up 400 miles since the MOT.

From fitting I did a long run out around North Wales to bed everything in, about 150 miles of combination driving, I have also done a track day in October but the first session was steady as I knew things were new, I was of the impression they should have been ok after that to perform on a track day, after all they are a performance pad..

Ferodo seem to think it is because they have been wet and the ferrous content has rusted and burst the pad, I know for certain the discs are nice and silver, no blueing so they haven't been cooked.

That is shocking! How can anyone expect a high performance pad to rust within 6 months!

Seek some advice from trading standards failing that going hard on them on their Facebook page will ruffle a few feathers and reflect on how bad their aftercare is

I agree they are not a track pad, they are a fast road/light track pad, IMO they are a great cross over pad, if your are using it very heavily on track then you of course will need the 3000s.  

Mine were fine for 8-10 lap hard stints at Silverstone when it was about 25 degrees ambient and running semi slicks with me being particularly hard on them.  After that they faded quite a bit, but thats expected tbh.  Mine looked nothing like that when i took my brakes off and they had done circa 5-6 trackdays!

Crap customer service though.

• 2 weeks later...

James, this is the procedure I have always used for bedding my new discs and pads in. Recently fitted brembo discs and the DS performance pads not the 2500's. They are amazing, was driving my mates ibiza cupra tdi yesterday with the AP's up front and he was driving mine, I expected the AP's to be awesome, compared to mine they were shocking, even he said he couldn't believe how good mine were and I'm still on standard 288's.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

• Like 1

I will take this on board as a new set of pads have been ordered for the Brembo's and I have to say after talking to a lot of people and also having a go of a few cars with different pad in I have bought some DS3000's for Golf, it caused me pain but I got a good deal on them too.

I will try the bedding in procedure and report back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you want to track your car, then you really need track / race pads i.e. Carbotech XP8 or above or Performance Friction 01. I also found that my braking technique (i.e. late and really hard, then off) affected the way heat was built up and dispersed, and how long the pads and tyres lasted. 

If you want to track your car, then you really need track / race pads i.e. Carbotech XP8 or above or Performance Friction 01. I also found that my braking technique (i.e. late and really hard, then off) affected the way heat was built up and dispersed, and how long the pads and tyres lasted. 

I have since used DS3000 pads and had no issue on the Oulton Park track day in February, I have to say the overall feel of the 3000's far out performed the 2500's even when cold driving to the circuit they work extremely well.

Ferodo have declined to respond to any of my emails or calls regarding the 2500 pad issue, this I find bad customer service on there part even if the outcome was that the defect was my fault. The discs that they claimed were damaged from excessive hear are now running on another car with no issues at all.

As for my driving style MT, I am quite smooth and tend to trail brake into the corner to load the front of the car up for better turn in, rather than a heavy jab of the pedal before every corner. I like to work on brake points and turn in when at the circuit because if the brakes are on then speed is obviously decreased and that means you are slow  :happy:     carry  as  much  spe ed as possible with a good line and one day I might even catch BossFox  :wonder:

• Like 1