Superb Boot Lid Advice.

So my boot lid is rusting, and I think this is a common problem.

It's rusting from the bottom up, all around the number plate bulbs and a few other small places.

Just wondering what's the best path to take, take it to a body shop and ask them to sort it?

Try and find a replacement boot lid, or a botch home job?

Any experience and advice welcome

I love this car and I hate to seem it rusting. It may be 11 years old, but it's so nice to drive, has all the comforts, heated seats, electric seats, climate. I don't want to have to get a new car lol.

In the sales brochure, the Superb Mk 1 is described as "fully galvanised".

My opinion is that these cars are not galvanised in some places and boot lids rust - badly. I apply Dinitrol anti corrosion wax to the boot lid after removing the number plate lamps as part of the annual maintenance. I also do this in a few other places which are corrosion prone.

Two conclusions: These cars are a real pain to own because of the extra maintenance caused by poor design. Pinch bolts, water sealing and rusting wiper spindle bearings are examples - there are many more. I have never ever had a car before with so many design stupidities. Routine servicing takes twice as long as it should due to poor design. Try changing the air filter element - then do it on a Toyota.

The other point concerns the business ethics of the seller. Is this car galvanised or not? How would you feel owning a 2.0 PD car, when VAG knew full well this engine was not fit for purpose when fitted to Audi and VW badged vehicles before it was sold in the Superb?

I'll vote with my cheque book next time. It's a shame, the B5.5 is comfortable and economical as a 1.9PD and also long lasting if you sort out their c o c k ups. The trouble is, it's just a car and I thought I'd already paid the designers.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel
  • Like 1

I've got a couple of little bits of rust now - top of the wheelarches, bottom corner of one door and the bootlid near the lights.  I had thought about getting them all done, but I think it is like this really; rust repairs unless new panels are patchy at best, and might only last a couple of years.  I'll be lucky if the car is still in service in 2 years (which is 60K more miles for me) so I'm better off saving the £4-500 for the next thing which will inevitably break...!

Likewise I was thinking of getting the wheels refurbed, but now I'm thinking the £200 is better off in the bank than the road.

That's the thing I love this car. But it's effectively worthless. Am I wasting money repairing things like this?

But I think to myself, what would I get to replace it?

I think I'd really miss the 1.9PD.

I've driven modern diesels and they're just not as good. And the DPFs are a nightmare!

The 1.9PD engine is almost unique as an efficient prime mover. The PSA 2.2 HDi comes close, but was fitted with a particularly nasty DPF system sooner that were the VAG units. The general build standard of the VAG vehicles is better than those from PSA price-for-price (if you buy a rubbish badge), but PSA do a better job of avoiding common sense design idiocies.

I bought my Superb as being the cheapest way to get a good 1.9PD engine in a roomy body, heavy enough to tow. It does these jobs extremely well. I'll keep it on the road for as long as it will economically go, which means addressing structural rather than cosmetic rust. So far, I have not found any structural problems.

I certainly won't spend any cosmetic money on it, but I do service it extremely carefully - to my own schedule (VAG don't tell you to grease pinch bolts) - and I expect to get a very high mileage out of it. It will never see a VAG dealer...

rotodiesel.

I own a 2008 superb, last of the first model and I am having the same problem (water ingress, rust on back lid,..). I can't believe, that they did not repair this stupid faults with facelift. I am thinking of replacing the boot lid in spring, just have to find a nice undamaged used one.

If your car is less than 12 years old then the boot lid should be covered under the rust perforation warranty. I got my car sorted by Skoda (bit of argy bargy from Skoda, but main dealer stood up for me) at 8 yrs old. Worth giving it a go?

If your car is less than 12 years old then the boot lid should be covered under the rust perforation warranty. I got my car sorted by Skoda (bit of argy bargy from Skoda, but main dealer stood up for me) at 8 yrs old. Worth giving it a go?

The boot lid on our 2005 Superb was fixed under warranty. It was rusting around the numberplate lights, and the body shop said they were seeing an increase in these failures.