Can I connect an amplifier to the Bolero multimedia system

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and need your help.

I recently bought the new Skoda Octavia (1.2 ambient) and I wanted to know if I can install an amplifier (and connect the rear speakers of my own with a subwoofer) to the Bolero system?

I know that in the old models the system couldn't recognize the AMP as speakers and would automatically turn it off with time.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Z

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any amp with high level/speaker level input will connect via the 4 channel speaker outputs. Most of these will power on automatically once input is detected. What won't work so well is the volume adjustment from the. Bolero, the amp will have a new volume adjustment.  Not sure if anybody has done this yet, but someone did add an active underseat sub which is the same principle.  Search for threads on bolero or canton and I'm sure you'll find it, it was Jan or Feb timeframe iirc.

• Like 1

I'm looking into this as well for my columbus without the canton upgrade (don't fancy the sub on the canton system)

Turns out Helix has a nice dsp amp that plugs right into your existing setup. It delivers 4x35w (but this box hands you the freedom to use dsp on these channels, so you are able to cut out anything from bellow 40hz or so) if it's setup to cut off the lowest frequenties, 4x35 is more than enough. you can add a helix subwoofer (160w) or add a separate amp/ sub you'd like.

• 4 years later...

On my bolero there is no factory amplifier so ,  I tap in to speaker cables at the back of the stereo with a Denison SLi2 RCA converter around £50. ( if you have factory amplifier running speakers then you need to tap in at the output of amplifier with this converter. 

This converter has no remote IN but it does has a remote OUT . It powers on ITSELF after detecting signal from speaker wire and triggers your Sub AMP ON. 

I have pinched a tiny mono amplifier from an alpine SWE 815 ,70 watts RMS to run a mazda 6 wheel subwoofer . 

Also a Sony xms400D 4 channel 50 watts rms x4  running Panasonic EAB component speakers all around.

The amps and RCA converters sit comfortably behind glove box on to the side and I am happy to report that the system ROCKS

The glove compartment has a pipe running into it blowing cold air (  I think it's there to keep cool whatever you may have in the compartment )  I cut this pipe at the back and point it onto the amps to keep them cool 

Screenshot_2018-10-03-22-48-47.jpg

Screenshot_2018-10-03-23-18-59.jpg

20180926_135212.jpg

Edited by 9@zA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genoa1893 said:

Good work! Thanks for sharing

G thanks.  Also added an old school alpine equalizer and the highs are so warm and smooth. Bose subwoofer hides perfectly in the boot pocket  :)

I'm bragging now ain't I

20180928_191037.jpg

20180928_152429.jpg

20180928_162148.jpg

Edited by 9@zA

54 minutes ago, Genoa1893 said:

Eheheh, old school is old school :)

You make me feel wire my old Sony unit as a final to make it sound a bit more powerful!

I find lot of new stuff expensive and no quality but the old stuff is well built and of good quality. 

What Sony do you have? 

Edited by 9@zA

11 minutes ago, Genoa1893 said:

Can't remember right now, yet it "sounded", and - look - I have the Canton unit: sound is pretty good but lacks power.

The MKII with Canton had more juice!

There is always room for improvement, providing one has the time and the energy to do so

Edited by 9@zA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have 2017 octavia 1.0 tsi start stop. I decided to add sub and amp. Combo to the stock bolero head unit via line level converter. Everything is working fine my loc is turning on with ignition on (powered from fuse n 48 acc power)and providing remote turn on for amplifier when head unit is turned on. I run my power from connectors in engine bay fuse box and ground wire from main ground point in engine bay behind battery control module. My only problem is start stop showing error message when amplifier is working. When I disconnect feed to the amp start stop works fine. (I checked the battery and is fully charged). Thanks for any replies and help. Hope that I posted in right place. 

Would you share pictures of all the connections you have made to run the sub.  

Also can you undo all the connections for sub and see how that effects your start stop function 

Edited by 9@zA

So I made adapter to extend speaker wires going to head unit as I dint want to splice into the originals conected the line converted and rca to amplifier. Power is coming as on the pictures. Ground on main ground point behind the battery and power in fuse box. The highlited connector  go to quadlock on the head unit. 1362490642_2018-10-2512_41_48.thumb.jpg.29bc4167429b3e3fec7bf59817f61c73.jpg634394706_2018-10-2512_41_09.thumb.jpg.1984e38936fe10e66f9275fa29a6b844.jpg

Edited by Herby12
  • Like 1

ill be running the same setup except ill power the mid range and tweeters from a PDX 4.150.

Running the power from the battery was a PITA, i was planning the same as you have done as there's no easy way to safely connect it to the battery post. what fuse holder did you use?... i can just see it poking out.

Fuse holder is the one which came with cable I just stick it in the empty space in fuse box. You can fit cable strait to the battery terminal you just have to undo the screw but it has some kind of safety washer which I broke and then I had to cut new thread but now I can fit o ring terminal there if I want but wanted to hide the cable. In few days I want to add fast plug for amplifier so I can remove it fast when in need for space. My only problem is start stop which doesn't work when amp is connected. Will add few more pictures later. 

783979256_2018-10-2521_40_07.thumb.jpg.af41f6a15960de047445e2e1ae8ad113.jpg

997792265_2018-10-2521_43_05.thumb.jpg.9153e81c8b7f775b5448285cef5d5c98.jpg

Edited by Herby12

I don't understand why your sub power feed is effecting your start stop :dry:

Is your amp connected directly to the battery or fuse box ???

On 25/10/2018 at 12:30, Herby12 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daHi thanks will take some imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da later. When I disconnect the power going to subwoofer amplifier start stop is fine.

if there's a parasitic draw on the battery from the Amp via a bad connection? then it might affect the start/stop as it disables itself if the voltage drops too low as a safety feature to stop the battery from going flat.

Edited by JohnnyType2

I don't think I have bad connection. Amp is connected as on the picture in previous post. I will try to take power from some 20 amp existing fuses (I use same circuit as lighter if possible so car will think I use something over the socket) an will see if that's help with start stop.