Iphone 5 mdi

A bit of hope for people waiting for new orders... I picked up my new golf 7 today (not skoda, I know!) and the dealer gave me the MDI cable with the iphone 5 lightning connector, and it works flawlessly.

He did say it was the first and only one they had in but at least it suggests they're coming and should be sent out with more cars as the months go on :)

• Like 1

Ah I see. I figured from what id read around various forums that you get the usb/old iphone cables but the lightning ones were still like rocking horse droppings and about £70 to try and order in!

In fact as recently as two days ago vw told me they weren't even available yet.

Flip side is I didn't get the usb one but I think I can manage without.

A bit of hope for people waiting for new orders... I picked up my new golf 7 today (not skoda, I know!) and the dealer gave me the MDI cable with the iphone 5 lightning connector, and it works flawlessly.He did say it was the first and only one they had in but at least it suggests they're coming and should be sent out with more cars as the months go on :)

Thanks for the heads up - my faithful iPhone 4 passed away today so intend to buy an iPhone 5S with the lightning / 30 pin adaptor to fit the MDI cable and wondered whether or not it would work!

This was discussed before Christmas and I did write about the new cable which I obtained off eBay in November. No one seemed bothered or commented on it though, even when I posted it twice!!!

I paid £17 including delivery for my lightning mdi cable. It is genuine and works fine with the iphone 5. I to have not been successful with video playback via the lightning cable. Just reports no playable files found.

• Like 2

This was discussed before Christmas and I did write about the new cable which I obtained off eBay in November. No one seemed bothered or commented on it though, even when I posted it twice!!!

I paid £17 including delivery for my lightning mdi cable. It is genuine and works fine with the iphone 5. I to have not been successful with video playback via the lightning cable. Just reports no playable files found.

£17!!! Good price, I ended up paying £27! That's two of us getting identical messages, probably means it ain't going to work for video. Never mind, it's a car, not a cinema :-)

• Like 1

Seems there are 2 VW cables for the iPhone 5 - 5N0 035 554 F and 5N0 035 554 G

Audi also has 2 - 4F0051510AC and 4F0051510AD

From what I found online 4F0051510AD is the Audi cable that supports video. AC doesn't. I'd guess the same is true for the VW cables and F doesn't support video while G does. That would explain why you're not getting video working with the F cable.

Only a theory don't set me on fire if it's not true!

• Like 1

From what I found online 4F0051510AD is the Audi cable that supports video. AC doesn't. I'd guess the same is true for the VW cables and F doesn't support video while G does. That would explain why you're not getting video working with the F cable.

I noticed that as well once I had bought it.... The thought did cross my mind that there may be another cable.

Too much money to fork out to get a replacement now though as it is something I wouldn't use that much tbh :-)

Well if that is true, and there is two cables I'm not to bothered as I only paid £17 (yes mine is a "F" cable), now if I had paid £70+ i might being feeling a bit sick!!

I am happy to be able to use an iPhone 5 now in car with most of features I use all the time. Once we find out if this other cable does do the video thing I may invest then, until that happens I will stick with the £17 cable. Thanks for the info though whether it be right or not. :happy:

• Like 1

Confirmed - my new iPhone 5S paired straight away through Bluetooth and with the lightening / 30 pin connector in place music through the existing MDI cable is perfect.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

today I got the iphone 5 MDI oem cable (5N0 035 554 G), but when I connect the iphone, a message pops up every 10 seconds ("connecting device"), the phone beeps as well and thats all... Im not sure that the iphone is even charging.

At media sources (bolero infot.) i can see cd, sd media in and Bt (however just Bt is active, if its turned on). The media in is grayed out, no matter that an Iphone is connected to media in or not. The car is a two week old Octavia RS.   

Any ideas?

The cable with white collar does not work :( I have the same issue with "G" (white collar) cable. Return if allowed. I'm stuck with mine - cannot return as it was ordered specifically for me, and no luck with reselling.

• Like 1