to remap or not to remap

Hey guys,

I've got a Octavia [MK1] vRS and I'm getting an FMIC, Performance Air filter, Free Flow Exhaust and diverter Valve installed.

Do I need to do a Remap along with these modifications?

Was planning to get the Remap done in a couple of months, but I've been told that it'll be bad for the engine to get all this done without a Remap.

any advice will be helpful.

Also, I've got an India Spec vRS which produces about 160 BHP, is there any way i can get the UK Spec map which produces 180 BHP?

- Sprucegoose

A remap will benefit you more with those parts but wont do any harm to the engine without one

Thanks man...

am planning to get a remap also, but in a couple of months.

Just didn't want to cause any damage to the engine.

Most of the guys who do remaps here say that if you don't remap the engine, you will damage it.

It's not going to damage it as such but you aren't going to be taking advantage of the gains you can get with those mods and if it's a decatted turbo back exhaust you'll get CEL engine lights until a lamda delete is done (part of a remap)

As for the Indian spec VRS I'd imagine it's purely a detuned map because of the hotter the weather you have, add an FMIC to it a then remap it to stage 1, should end up with the same power as the euro VRS on a stage 1 map

Is the india spec car the same engine as the euro car? As in AUQ engine. Not that it would matter in this case im just curious

Think i have the AUM engine.

pasting results from a VCDS Scan [not pasted all of the contents]

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AUM.lbl

Part No: 06A 906 032 HJ

Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0003 

Coding: 11500

Shop #: WSC 00028 

VCID: 6DDBEA0C278ADFB

TMBELL1UX4A025505 SKZ7Z0D2607420

As far as I know the AUM is basically a detuned AUQ using the same internals and turbo but with a detuned map to 150bhp opposed to 180bhp. That's my info though, somebody else might know more details

Half of the AUM cars here are running a stage 1 remap. Only a dealer can put the stock AUQ map on for you and they'll charge. They will run it detuned there because of the heat and humidity thus my suggestion for adding a larger FMIC and then putting a stage 1 remap on it.

for me stock 150 HP is the best option....the car is very reliable,MPG is very good and when I drive hard is still very strong.

I dropped the tranny for a fork replacement and the clutch is in a very good condition,DMF also very good with a tiny play...very happy with that

The old power question is an age old one and I always put it down to what sort of car you;re used to. I've always driven cars with a bit of poke especially when I worked abroad in Dubai and also in SA. I'm used to having the power and one of the first things I do with anything I buy is to get it remapped for power- that's just me though. Other people prefer less power and find it nicer to drive- it's just one of those things

The other thing to bear in mind is that there is plenty of documented evidence on here from respected tuners, that the standard map can have many versions depending on the year of manufacture. This has taken people like R Tech and Shark quite some time to perfect the boost spikes etc that are almost built in to the standard AUQ map.

You may want to consider a slightly detuned map from a tuner which has ironed out the glitches, over a standard map that may import problems for you, Just something to think about, as has been said, this is not a cheap decision.

• Like 1

It's not going to damage it as such but you aren't going to be taking advantage of the gains you can get with those mods and if it's a decatted turbo back exhaust you'll get CEL engine lights until a lamda delete is done (part of a remap)

As for the Indian spec VRS I'd imagine it's purely a detuned map because of the hotter the weather you have, add an FMIC to it a then remap it to stage 1, should end up with the same power as the euro VRS on a stage 1 map

That's the plan.

Getting an FMIC, and in a couple of months [because of cash flow problems] getting a Stage 1 Remap.

Aum engines map to 210bhp ish in the uk but i wouldnt recommend doing that in india unless you have a big front mount. It will heatsoak like no mans business

Getting a Fairly large FMIC. My tuner, tuned a vRS to around 250 - 300 WHP with the same one.

But that car had a lot more modifications.

If you send me your email address I will send you a standard 180bhp map. You will need mpps clone or similar to install the map

Thanks man, will PM you my email address.

All he needs now is a 3 or 400 quid mpps clone to do it

I know a tuner, will try to get it done for free. 

for me stock 150 HP is the best option....the car is very reliable,MPG is very good and when I drive hard is still very strong.

I dropped the tranny for a fork replacement and the clutch is in a very good condition,DMF also very good with a tiny play...very happy with that

The Stock is good, very good infact, but i'll eventually want more power :)

The old power question is an age old one and I always put it down to what sort of car you;re used to. I've always driven cars with a bit of poke especially when I worked abroad in Dubai and also in SA. I'm used to having the power and one of the first things I do with anything I buy is to get it remapped for power- that's just me though. Other people prefer less power and find it nicer to drive- it's just one of those things

I usually get an FFE and Air Filter installed. This is my first turbo charged car, so getting an FMIC also.

Eventually [when the cash scene permits] I'll get a remap done too.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there is plenty of documented evidence on here from respected tuners, that the standard map can have many versions depending on the year of manufacture. This has taken people like R Tech and Shark quite some time to perfect the boost spikes etc that are almost built in to the standard AUQ map.

You may want to consider a slightly detuned map from a tuner which has ironed out the glitches, over a standard map that may import problems for you, Just something to think about, as has been said, this is not a cheap decision.

Yup, I know. A good remap is generally more powerful and smoother than a stock Map.

Wanted to see if I could use the Stock UK map as an interim solution, before I do a proper Stage 1 Remap.

Hoping to save on some moolah.

:)

IF you;re on good speaking terms with any tuners they might be able to flash a stock map for you but like kentphil says, it's not quite as simple as there being 1 stock map. They're running a detuned map for a reason on the Indian spec one, hot intake temps seriously drop power and increasing the power just to 180 without an uprated FMIC may be damaging a lot of things. Same with turbo cars out in the Middle East, they're all detuned and there's garages out there who put charge coolers on for people and remap the vehicle as an option from the dealership. Heat is a turbo's worst enemy- if it's going into the turbo hot it then just gets hotter as it's compressed and then from heatsoak so ends up red hot as it enters the engine as that little SMIC really won't be able to drop the temp enough. You don;t need a giant sized intercooler or anything just one mounted with good air flow and in the case of pretty hot ambient temps. one where you can fit a fan to the rear of it for when the car is idling

Also on a lot of standard maps, a well masked boost surge condition exists in certain firmwares on the ecu, which as soon as they are mapped by some less capable tuners end up in a right pile of undriveable mess. It may look like a cheap option, but it might open a world of pain with your average intake temperatures out there as Nerd has eluded to.