1.2 petrol 86BHP Spaceback Thirsty?

They can be driven with a very light touch and still bowl along at a reasonable pace. The engine is so free-revving too that it will roll along without hardly any throttle input without losing much speed. Just done a 26 mile journey this evening, B roads and towns averaging just under 30mph and recorded 46mpg without trying.

I think that's the key, you couldn't do that in the Qashqui, you really needed to drive it but I'm seeing this us not the case in the Rapid bad find myself breaking more coming up to red lights rather than letting it just letting it run up without acceleration. I think it will improve as we get use to the driving style.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been an interesting thread to read.

I've just had a 1.2 TSi 86ps Rapid as a loan car for two days.

Nice little car, ride a little hard & a bit uninspiring inside, but a lot better than the Roomster we had on loan last time!

The long-term fuel consumption (No.2 on the Maxidot) was 43.8 mpg & that was over app. 35 hours of driving

I did 4 trips in the car, total 120 odd miles & the trip mpg's varied from 48 to 53, all interurban driving at sensible speeds except one 20 mile

journey cruising at 70 - 80 mph.

I'd agree that the engine needs to be above 1.4k rpm to keep the turbo working but once I realized that it was only the basic 1.2 lump

I was quite happy with the performance & the economy.

I was also quite happy to achieve 36.5 mpg coming back from the dealer in my Superb, but I do realize that the diesel lovers would expect more for their money...........

FWIW we don't really care too much about fuel costs, our total annual mileage is only about 12/14 K & we would prefer to enjoy our motoring

whilst we are still young enough to do so! 

DC

I've brimmed it today and logged details into fuelly so will see what that says. We got the car last week and the dealer filled it before handing it over (dial was saying full but you know it wasn't brimmed). So at €1.49.9 per litre it cost me €41 to fill it (which to me is a LOT for one week). I'd understand if this was been driven hard but I know it's not as my wife had to be encouraged to do 60 (100kph) by the dealer on the test drive. All I can think of is she may be staying in 3rd for too long. I took it out tonight and drove it very conservatively, currently have it down to 8.2 L per 100km (still high particularly when there was no traffic). The engine sounds so smooth so I don't think there is a fault with fuel mix or anything like that. I'm hoping the fact that she usually has at least 3/4 people in the car isn't the problem as that's not going to change (teenage kid and father-in-law usually with her). If it doesn't get better then this is going to be one expensive car to run :(

LOL, I wish I was paying 41 Euro per week on fuel.  I am paying about £70 per week!

Quick update, wife filled up last week,€74 (3 weeks driving between fill ups) and according to fuelly she was getting 63 MPG for the last fill up (56 MPG average over last 3 fill ups), at those type of figures you really can't complain. This would be better than what I'm getting in my diesel Superb (and no, I wouldn't swap).

Citigoallen, £70 pw is a hefty amount to pay on fuel, you must be putting up a lot of mileage.

Old newbie2, wife would say she enjoys her driving experience but as posted above she isn't a speed merchant and generally takes things easy, I'd be much more inclined to give it the beans :) What I would say is the Rapid is a more engaging drive than the Qashqai it replaced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not necessarily indicative, but I just drove from Runcorn to High Wycombe earlier today, stuck to 60 to save money and the computer claimed 69.2 for the trip (mind's the 105ps not 86 though, so I've got a longer 6th gear available)

Hi,

I've just got a 1.2 tsi 105ps and just filled up 2 weeks in after using most of the lovely free dealer fuel!

I got 430 miles from 47.5 litres which equates to around 41 mpg. I drive in the countryside in Devon so it is not flat smooth roads.

This is its first tank full so I'm hopeful it will improve as it runs in - I'm pretty happy with that as I was only getting an average of 43ish from my 2.0 TDi superb (not the best diesel engine ever produced apparently).

I think the MFD is pretty accurate - my superb would promise a lot with a full tank but never quite deliver!

I also concur on the driving style required - I was worried at how early the car wanted to be in 6th but it does not seem to labour as long as you keep the momentum up and don't brake and accelerate to much.

Cheers,

James

hi i was going to look at the rapid space back would like the elegance red with the cream colour and the glass sun roof 

i would go for the 1.2 tsi realy a good engine.but would like to try the 1.6 tdi ive got octavia estate can not beat it on fuel

runs on fresh air i do about 185 miles on a qualter of a tank a week easy pete.

hi i was going to look at the rapid space back would like the elegance red with the cream colour and the glass sun roof

i would go for the 1.2 tsi realy a good engine.but would like to try the 1.6 tdi ive got octavia estate can not beat it on fuel

runs on fresh air i do about 185 miles on a qualter of a tank a week easy pete.

If 185 miles a week is all u are doing I'd go for the 1.2 petrol and save yourself some money. I have the 1.2 105bhp. I get around 45 to 50 mpg normal driving.

Sent using my right thumb