Adding a tow bar to an already built car?

Just wondered what damage to the wallet having a tow bar fitted to the vrs would be all in. Having never had a car with a tow bar I haven't a clue what goes into fitting one and wiring it up.

I remember the option 'tow bar prep' in the booklet but my vrs didn't have this done.

Well down where the southern softies live the cost of living is Fn high, to be fair though, that is with the 13pin OEM wiring loom to ensure everything works properly, the OEM loom is £220 on its own.

I'm sure you can get a 7pin electrics set that bleep the reversing sensors at you quite cheaply but, mines on a PCP so, really gotta do things right or I'll be paying on the back end.

Regards

T

Depends what you want, my dealer fitted the OEM Westfalia Swan neck Detachable with fully coded CAN complaint electrics (kills reverse sensors automatically when a light board is plugged in and gives you a trailer specific ESC program) for £520 prior to collection. I thought this was a good price for all that, and as it's dealer fit no warranty issues.

If you want a fixed bar and butchered electrics at the other end of the scale you can pay less.

Niall

I just had a Thule swan neck detachable towbar with 13 pin electrics fitted by Indespension (other fitters are available). It cost just over £500 (a Westfalia would have been over 600 and Witter over 700). I'll post some pictures when I am back at my pc.

Neat looking job there spitzie, yes my quote was through the dealers too and sorry I should have said £500 + VAT for the detachable towbar & electrics done before collection.  In addition, I haven't paid Skoda anything for towbar prep which I think was £180 so, I'm pretty happy with it.

Regards

T

Had a detachable tow trust tow bar fitted yesterday £360 all in.

Took about 2 hours 30 to fit. Can't even see it without laying on the ground when it's folded away.

I only tow my track bike on a small motolug trailer about 15 times a year so not a heavy user, visited the tow trust web site that shows a supply only price of £360, so I'm guessing due to the time of the year got a bargain.

• 1 month later...

I just had a Thule swan neck detachable towbar with 13 pin electrics fitted by Indespension (other fitters are available). It cost just over £500 (a Westfalia would have been over 600 and Witter over 700). I'll post some pictures when I am back at my pc.