New car collected today - minor issues

Hi, 

Needing a wee bit of advice please.  Collected my new Superb Elegance estate (Jan 2014) model today and noticed a couple of things.  Hoping that someone will have the answers.

1, I have a light film of condensation in both headlamps - nothing serious, no water drips visible, merely a condensed film on the lower areas of the lights.  Is this normal?

2. Handbook has a paragraph about a 'new' front passenger seat control which can be operated by the rear seat passenger sitting behind the front passenger seat. These are shown in the handbook as being on the nearside bolster of the set, only I don't have any.  Not too concerned as they would probably never get used tbh, but just wondered if they are standard spec on certain models?

3. can the electrically operated tailgate only be closed by using the button on the inner section of the tailgate - whereas it can be opened by a button on the gearstick assembly or using the key or pulling on the tailgate external button?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Hi, 

Needing a wee bit of advice please.  Collected my new Superb Elegance estate (Jan 2014) model today and noticed a couple of things.  Hoping that someone will have the answers.

1, I have a light film of condensation in both headlamps - nothing serious, no water drips visible, merely a condensed film on the lower areas of the lights.  Is this normal?

I had the same when I pick up my car, it went after a week of use & the aid of the gel pack you get with new shoes. Hope this helps.

Edited by rabmurray121

1 not normal, take it back to the dealer

2 option, maybe standard on l&k spec?

3 for safety reasons to close the boot you need to stand next to it - and push the button. Can be sorted with vcds. Push fob, gearstick button, handle to open, push one of those again to stop, push one again to start closing. Works brill!

• Like 1

I was rather hoping not to have to start messing around with gel packs etc given it's brand new, but wasn't sure if it was normal. I'll try calling dealer in morning to see what they think. I was sitting in car stationery for over an hour at time with lights on sorting out all the various settings etc.

I'll also speak to dealer about sorting out the boot closing issue with VCDS, but that was handy to know if stopped before opening fully, it can then be closed using all the buttons and fobs, but not if it gets to full travel.

I collected mine yesterday and also noticed some misting at corners of headlamps however today ok. Also noticed this in the manual which i have included below, this will probably be a get out clause however if it kept misting i would complain.

Also same as you no extra controls on passenger seat

Note

The headlights may mist up temporarily. When the driving lights are switched on,the light outlet surfaces are free from mist after a short period, although the headlight lenses may still be misted up in the peripheral areas. This mist has no influence on the life of the lighting system. 
  • Like 1

I'll also speak to dealer about sorting out the boot closing issue with VCDS, but that was handy to know if stopped before opening fully, it can then be closed using all the buttons and fobs, but not if it gets to full travel.

The dealer will not have VCDS, and their VAS-PC will not allow the setting to be altered as it is designed to be the way it currently is. Your only route to fix the boot closure is to either buy VCDS yourself, or look in the VCDS owners thread (diagnostics forum) and see if someone is available local to you.

• Like 1

Hi!

1. I have the same on mine, and I have had it on most of my different cars. If there is no water in the headlights then I would say it is ok and pretty normal when moist air meets a cold surface.

2. No idea.

3. As said earlier, need to be sorted using VCDS, did it on mine and it works great.

Good luck with your new car!

• Like 1

Exceptionally grateful to everyone for their replies - what an excellent forum, never asked a question yet that I've not managed to get a reply to.

I'll keep my eye on misting and if it starts to get worse will see if dealer will do anything. As for boot closing, will try a search and see if I can find anyone in Lanarkshire in Scotland who might just have VCDS and could sort that for me.

Once again, I am very grateful to you all.

John

I was sitting in car stationery for over an hour at time with lights on sorting out all the various settings etc.

With the engine running I hope, if not you'll be back to the dealer anyway for a new battery :giggle:

• Like 1

I also noticed the misting on the headlights but it went in a few days and I haven't noticed it since.  Keep on eye on it though.  I also went searching for the passenger seat control and it is missing on my L&K (2014 model).  Again I'm not too pushed about it.  Having had a few Skodas at this stage (4 Octavias and 2 Superbs) I have noticed slight variations in spec versus what should be on the models.  It is never anything too major but can be annoying alright and Skoda should probably be more consistent especially as that seat control was one of the supposed selling points on the facelift version.

• Like 1

I think the reasoning is that a rear seat passenger, sitting behind the front passenger seat could adjust the seat to give more leg room etc. Can't say that I'd ever have found a use for it to be honest, and wondered if perhaps the handbooks had been printed in advance of the idea being put into production, before someone realised that it perhaps wasn't the cleverest update in the world!

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/superb-combi/technology

It may be one of those items that may be on LHD cars and doesn't get swapped over to RHD models. There wording is this "When travelling on the rear seat, you can increase your leg room easily. Just use your own controls of the front passenger's seat to move it forward or adjust its height and angle at your will."

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/superb-combi/technology

It may be one of those items that may be on LHD cars and doesn't get swapped over to RHD models. There wording is this "When travelling on the rear seat, you can increase your leg room easily. Just use your own controls of the front passenger's seat to move it forward or adjust its height and angle at your will."

I can see this being of use in say a taxi...

This feature was added for the Chinese market where the Superb is very popular and considered as a rival to the long wheel base versions of the Audi A6 and BMW 5 series. Cars with lots of rear legroom are popular in China because people like to be driven rather than drive. In fact, BMW even do a long wheelbase 3 series just for the China market.

This feature is commonly seen on high end luxury limos, such as the Mercedes S-class and Jaguar XJL.