VRS 2 FL DashBoard lights doing some wierd things Help please

I have noticed both boot lights have a small capacitor near the bulb wonder if that's at fault.

It's not a capacitor, it's a diode. It shouldn't have any effect and you can unplug both boot lights to rule them out.

Things that come to mind are:

- bad ground

- damaged wiring to the instrument cluster, possibly causing the bad ground

- low battery voltage

- there was a period of low quality soldering in the instrument clusters, not seen it on anything as new as a 62 plate

A scan with VCDS or similar is a good place to start :)

Update I've disconnected the battery and reconnected after lighting up like a Christmas tree and remembering to turn steering both ways all lights went out... But problems remaining.

Thinking back and maybe not connected after a jet wash the problem started I wonder if it's taken on water anywhere..

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update I'm now convinced it's a watet/ damp issue had a dry spell down here in Devon and all faults disappeared.... Then a massive downpour and faults are back. Had to visit Skoda for a spare key and they scanned for faults and returned a page of faults all to do with the rear light s saying intermittent earth faults and blammed everything on the towbar.

I was not convinced as the fault was there a long time before the tow bar !!!

So sunshine no faults then first sign of rain there all back. 

1 minute ago, Trodymoo said:

Quick update I'm now convinced it's a watet/ damp issue had a dry spell down here in Devon and all faults disappeared.... Then a massive downpour and faults are back. Had to visit Skoda for a spare key and they scanned for faults and returned a page of faults all to do with the rear light s saying intermittent earth faults and blammed everything on the towbar.

I was not convinced as the fault was there a long time before the tow bar !!!

So sunshine no faults then first sign of rain there all back. 

Left hand indicator now comes on when I open the boot with no keys in 

Wonder now if doddgy dash. Spoke to one of these dash repairers who said it's common with Vw group where light shines through the dash say from boot open to left indicator that's why it's only partially lit

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Your car is about the age the battery could well be on the way out. I've seen several people complaining of this kind of fault saying it was down to the battery starting to lose its magic and the car electronics getting the hump. The BCM does seem to act up if its supply voltage is out of spec.

My car is over 6 years old now and maybe not quite as willing to start now the temperatures are dropping. I was parked the other day with the stereo on surrounded by lots of other people still in their cars and I think I heard 3 low, soft "bongs". They could have been coming from the car next to mine but I'm going to assume it's the low battery warning (not heard it before to compare.) I shopped around and found a brand new Yuasa battery on Amazon for £72.49 delivered. Not going to give Halfords £110 for essentially the same thing. I'm just going to replace the battery as I've seen it quoted here that 7 years is about when they get their bus pass and I'd rather change it at a convenient time than it suddenly become an emergency.

Good luck,

Paul.

Edited by Papfox

A common problem on older Octavia's. The solder joints on the back of the instrument cluster dry out / and or get damp, causing the random and dim illumination of one or more of the dash warning lights. The threads always tend to appear around this time of the year as the insides of (typically damp-by-design Octavia's) become moist.

If you follow this link, and then the links on each of my posts within each thread, you'll see that several other people have suffered from the same, or very similar issue...