Citroen Berlingo

gallego1968

Guest BigJase88

Some problems my company has come across

Fried abs ecu @ 21k (in behind wheel arch so gets water splashes)

Front shock failure @ 40k miles

Steering rack failure @ 20k miles

And for some reason all the vans use the rear tyres at twice the rate of the fronts, generally 7-10k for a set of rears and 15k for the fronts

Compared to the older berlingo's they are not as nice to drive and feel rather skittish / unstable on the road

But for the price they do a decent enough job

Edited by BigJase88

Reliability is going to be the biggest issue, and the deprecation of a brick dropped from high which is typical of Citroen. None of the PSA group cars, even current models are renowned for their reliability.

They are ok, but lets not forget this is a van that has had windows and back seats added, as such they will handle and feel like a van on the road.

When I drove the previous generation as a rental car, I always felt like I was sitting on the car rather than inside it.

Probably not relevant now, but I had one of the first ones back in '96.

1.9 diesel

Great van, and no problems in the 2 years that I owned it.

Not overly quick (non turbo) and approx 38mpg.

Had the 2.0 Hdi Partner back in 2001. Much quicker and frugal (45mpg)  but had a front spring snap.

I believe the 1.6 Hdi engine is quite good.

I assume, this being an Enterprise, it's one of the last of the previous generation models that they continued to make alongside the current mode for a while?

All in all, it's a van, but a good one imo. I am a PSA (Citroen) fan however.

Edited by Mr Ree

I had a "previous generation" Berlingo MPV from new, but my experience was the opposite of Mr Ree's.  Although it never actually broke down, several items failed, broke or wore out during my 40,000 miles of ownership.  Electrical problems were the final straw.  The best thing I ever did was to part-exchange it for my Roomster.

The latest generation Berlingos must be more reliable. They are evidently a popular van/MPV.  But for me, once bitten.......

Guest BigJase88

Reliability is going to be the biggest issue, and the deprecation of a brick dropped from high which is typical of Citroen. None of the PSA group cars, even current models are renowned for their reliability.

They are ok, but lets not forget this is a van that has had windows and back seats added, as such they will handle and feel like a van on the road.

When I drove the previous generation as a rental car, I always felt like I was sitting on the car rather than inside it.

The older ones actually have a better driving position and handling

The new ones give you chronic backpain. Thats not just my observations thats everyone at the company.

I have the last remaining older berlingo van (all the others the rear axle failed) and although mine is as slow as a slug its far superior on the bends and for driving comfort. My mpg in the old 1.9d is 30! As you have to bust its balls to get it to move anywhere

Edited by BigJase88

Old chap near me has a mobility converted one on a 10 plate to take his wife around in. Very rarely parked outside because quote unquote "it's always got some major problem that shouldn't occur or Citroen have supposedly never heard of".