Broken Locking Wheel Bolt & Key

RS3100

While getting a buckled wheel replaced at the local tyre centre that I have used for over 20 years with no problems, they had a problem getting the wheel off as the locking wheel bolt and key failed.

Anyone else experienced this?

Looking at the design the key is relying on quite a small surface area to grip on the bolt so wondering if I should just forget about the locking wheel bolts?

Also having trouble convincing Skoda that the locking bolt and key are the orginals because they insist there is a 7 digit number on the top and all mine has is a letter.  I know it is the original key and bolts because I have had the car from new (Nov 2010).

While getting a buckled wheel replaced at the local tyre centre that I have used for over 20 years with no problems, they had a problem getting the wheel off as the locking wheel bolt and key failed.

Anyone else experienced this?

Looking at the design the key is relying on quite a small surface area to grip on the bolt so wondering if I should just forget about the locking wheel bolts?

Also having trouble convincing Skoda that the locking bolt and key are the orginals because they insist there is a 7 digit number on the top and all mine has is a letter.  I know it is the original key and bolts because I have had the car from new (Nov 2010).

Think mine only got 2 digits ... I ll chk

Have had similar experience when fitting non Skoda aftermarket alloys. Not sure if your replacement wheel is OEM or not. 

My problem was caused by the depth of the socket and how it fitted in the casting in the wheel - my non OEM wheels had a casting that very slightly tapered at the bottom hence the socket could not fully locate onto the wheel nut fully engaging the pins on the wheel bolt head.

Solution, put socket in vise and file off only a few millimeters of the socket base (2-3 max) - fits like a glove now and no more slipping on the wheel bolt when either tightening or loosening.

With regards to the key code - mine too has just a single letter, mine is 2014 MY.

Oh, that's a totally different bolt and key to the ones I have - have they changed ?  I can see that the ones in picture would be a lot more secure.

Do dealers fit different types of security wheel bolt I wonder ?

Oh, that's a totally different bolt and key to the ones I have - have they changed ?  I can see that the ones in picture would be a lot more secure.

Do dealers fit different types of security wheel bolt I wonder ?

Apparently the design change over time.

Those NEW bolts came FROM that box with pic of a chunkier lock nut.

And my original bolts were the same design as the pic on the box!

Those are the same as fitted to mk1 Superb and a host of other VAG cars. The pic on the box is just another model from the same series, no point in having them all the same!!!

• Like 1

Those locking wheel bolt head and key lok more substantial that what is currently on the car.

The wheel is the original style wheel, it had to be replaced last year after a pothole opened up on the M1 J20 southbound exit.  So currently making one claim a year for a buckled wheel and all happen at night in the wet so the whole looks like a lump of damp tar in the road!

Hope the new bolts are similar in style to the ones Chan shows.

Is your lock nut like this? Mine had the letter H on it . I emailed [email protected] with a picture of it and they identified the "key number". I think in my case it was 276 or something. They supply the keys at a cost of around £15 if I remember right.

Edit: I believe these are the originals from my '09 superb. I think you can't get them from Skoda anymore and have to go direct to manufacturer.

post-96955-0-58597400-1392196408_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperbBarto2012