Audi S1 BRIEF REVIEW in Autocar and Autoexpress today.

vrskeith

The Audi S1 & S1 Sportback have not had the best of reviews since the launch, and they are rather expensive,

and manuals only.

The Facelifted Audi A1 looks like they have a decent choice of engines.  Certainly better than the All New 3rd Generation Skoda Fabia which are clearly at the bottom of the VWG small family car class models that are going to be on sale in 2015 and without any Warm or Hot Versions.

but then the Audis are in a different price bracket. (lovely interiors, and 148 bhp or 189bhp is useful)

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/facelifted-audi-a1-revealed

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Skoda missed the window of opportunity, a year or so ago coulD have facelifted the vRS, WITH NEW MOTOR AND MANUAL BOX. 

But the crowning glory of the vRS was the DSG box and paddle change, agreed a motor with lower oil usage would have been nice.

• Like 1

Corking little motor but with everything Audi its too expensive.

By the time you've added sone useful spec and the styling packs you're looking at a 30k A1,just madness.

Don't forget it has no storage space in comparison with a Fabia, especially the estate, not available from Audi. 

• Like 2

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/audi-sd3rdfcdc-a1-facelift-34rfd-152.JPG

Does this mean that any buyer of the S1 ,say Sept 2014 will have a dated spec car within less than  12months? (Uplift features /SPEC from New A1 to S1)

If so then the already high priced demos and used will have to take a hit before April2015

Edited by vrskeith

The Audi S1 & S1 Sportback have not had the best of reviews since the launch, and they are rather expensive,

and manuals only.

The Facelifted Audi A1 looks like they have a decent choice of engines.  Certainly better than the All New 3rd Generation Skoda Fabia which are clearly at the bottom of the VWG small family car class models that are going to be on sale in 2015 and without any Warm or Hot Versions.

but then the Audis are in a different price bracket. (lovely interiors, and 148 bhp or 189bhp is useful)

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/facelifted-audi-a1-revealed

I suspect the S1 is manual only so as not to steal sales from its bigger sister the S3.

An A1 with the 1.8T engine would be quite nice so long as space not needed.

• Like 1

Wonderful interiors and plenty of room in the front, and not that bad in the back of the Sportback.

Looking forward to getting a drive in a 1.8TSI DSG.

(I went to get a A1 185ps before buying a Fabia vRS, i actually ordered one & would have had one if Audi Salespeople were just more honest on delivery times.)

As these Facelifted A1's are launched, you could buy 2 New MK2 Fabia vRS for the price of 1 2014 Audi S1.

so a his and her Hatch & an Estate.

Or a slightly used Audi S3 with S-tronic or VW Golf R with DSG & get 300ps.

http://carwow.co.uk/blog/2015-Audi-A1-and-A1-Sportback-revealed

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Best tell that to the Audi Dealers that are sitting with models not selling.

ie

Private & Business Customers are not walking in and ordering New Builds,

Audi might ensure residuals by making sure Dealers do not discount them when sitting used (Demonstrators),

& they will be exported out of the UK, if needs must so that they are not in 'Trade' with low residuals.

Like the A1 185 ps, cars get first Registered to Dealerships, then sold Used, because so few customers Order New,.

As happened with the Mk5 Polo GTI.

Lots of VW DEalerships First Register a 'New Demonstrator',  yet in 4 years there are only 1,400 First Registered in the UK.

It is a way that VWG can have cars showing as being First Registered each Quarter,

& they can manipulate residuals.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

All is not as it appears, it is the German way.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/volkswagen_polo_gti_s-a_180

Scarce cars. (there are a few 185 ps in other Trims in the UK)

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/audi_a1_s_line_tfsi_185_s-a

Edited by goneoffSKi

Note! Demo and or 1 owner vehicles currently at Audi Dealer Nationally.

3dr Version 28

Sportback 30

Total =      58 @ Dealerships Currently advertised for sale..

So does that mean approx 50% registered with private / business etc.owners.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Note! Demo and or 1 owner vehicles currently at Audi Dealer Nationally.

3dr Version 28

Sportback 30

Total =      58 @ Dealerships Currently advertised for sale..

So does that mean approx 50% registered with private / business etc.owners.

Just did an update of National Dealer stock on used / demo cars on Audi website.

Haven't done a precise check but still 3 pages showing approx. 60 cars.

Haven't done the actual calc but my observation suggest that 2nd hand /dealer demo prices have soften slightly - guess they are not shifting .

Not sure if Audi are offering good deals "quietly to shift New?

JoseDB,any inside information. How many have now been registered in UK?

Hope that you are enjoying yours.

Edited by vrskeith

Has any other Briskoda member bought an S1 or know a friend that has ,if so could you give us your or their  experience  to date.

Thanks.

Edited by vrskeith

Thinking of trading in the Golf R? ;-)

Planning/ thinking ahead , for the possible replacement of the missus's vRS in a year or so Polo GTI 1.8 tsi demo, S1 demo or 2nd hand - in George's words, if not selling, them Much Cheapness to be had or others  

Provided of course no Fabia vRS 1.8 TSI or 1.6 with guts available.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Has any other Briskoda member bought an S1 or know a friend that has ,if so could you give us your or their  experience  to date.

Thanks.

No reply yet ,so must be a reflection of lack of owners taking up the model.

I know of one member, who has one, I think he is very happy with his.

May be they all belong to the Audi Owners club/.S1

Thought I'd come over here! I also don't know anyone that owns one, but I work for Listers who franchise Audi, seat, skoda and they said the S1's are selling slowly.

I can't help but think it's only to do with its initial very high cost! I know it's an Audi and all but it takes the biscuit a tad.

That being said, my one hour test drive in one was a very memorable experience and has made me genuinely think of eyeing one up in the future! Very pleasent to drive around town as well as obviously giving it the beans on the backroads.

As a better comparison a bloke at work borrowed one for a month. He's 6'4" and said it felt cramped and he hated the suspension and lack of quality in the interior and the interior size just made him think, why not get a new seat leon cupra or S3 instead for similar money?

I disagree, I found the suspension liveable and by no means harsh. I'm 5'11" and didn't find it too cramped, although there is genuinely no room in the back seats. Plus it has tons of character and stupid power for a car so small.

Although with the new seat Leon cupra at 27k it seems like a silly decision to spend more on the s1 that comes with less. (Admittedly it's blessed with the Quattro system).

One thing I am royally cheesed off at is the fact that after speaking recently with the head of business at Skoda apparently no hot hatches version of the new fabia is in the pipeline.

Why?! I just can't understand this. Petrol or diesel, there are people out there that would LOVE to see the fabia go back to it a roots. You can't redesign a car and aim it at younger and sportier drivers and then offer these dire soul destroying measley powered engines.

I did say this in person to the head of business too lol. I don't think he understood my passion for the little fabias!

• Like 1

Seat Leon Cupra 280 are not selling either, so it is easy now to knock 4 grand off when buying a Ex Demo,]

and that will be even more discounts as it turns to 2015.

The S1 is unlikely to be a cult car,

& Audi got it wrong with the A1 185ps and the very low numbers that sold in the UK.

just as VW did with the Polo GTI 2010 on Twincharger.

VWG do seem to be rather poor at judging the UK market for Small Hot Hatches from 2007 on.

They could likely have a customer base for a All New 3rd Generation Fabia Estate with 150 - 190 PS,

Manual or Auto for under £20,000.

Even an AWD one with 220 ps for under £23,000 maybe.

But then that will hit their more expensive bigger estates & the overpriced Small Hot Hatches with VW & Audi Badges.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2