Clunking when turning steering wheel

Dann2707

Hey guys.

Having a bit of a problem on the nearside up front.

When turning the steering wheel it's making a springy donnnnngggg noise coming from the front left once every half a turn of the wheel. I've looked and the springs look like they're seated correctly. ARB drop links are fine and not catching.

Definitely sounds like a springy noise like when it's being tensioned then released, that sort of noise.

Anything else to look out for? It's driving me insane!

Thanks

Top mount bearing?

Exactly, and to the OP "how do I check this?", well, for a start you have heard it, next jack the front up, with the steering lock off get someone to move the wheels from lock to lock, or even grasp the road wheel firmly and move it lock to lock, you will feel at bit rough to move at certain points.

I have this job to do sooner than later - the bearings are not very well protected so this will always happen with time.

Top mount fine, strut top bearing... Knackerd!

An easy test is to hold the spring while someone goes lock to lock, feel for the spring juddering. It should be smooth.

Jacking won't always help as the weight is off the bearing and could give false results.

Use common sence and don't trap your finger or arm.