Blanking/removing ASR/ABS lights

joncc

I think someone had blanked or removed my ABS and ASR lights on the dash before my ownership.

Just a theory, but I have some evidence to support this theory:

1. ABS/ASR wasn't working and I traced it to the 40 amp fuse on the battery (Thanks to Briskoda members) - no lights were showing

2. The ABS/ASR seem to be working nicely now but still no bulbs.

3. The handbrake dashlight is missing a little of its left hand side as though someone has obscured the lights that would be next to it and accidentally obscured the handbrake light too.

Does anyone know anything about these dash boards or how I would reinstate these lights or de-obscure them please?

Thanks. Do you know anything about how the lights would be blanked please? Would it be programming, removing bulbs or some sort of manual physical obscuration? All advice welcome!

I think the route of the problem was this dodgy fuse issue that the 2000/2001 ones seem to have had. I think someone has assumed is a big money job to resolve and blanked the bulbs to get it through the MOTs...

If the problem is now fixed (i.e ABS/ASR working now) then VCDS won't really help.

If the ASR symbol isn't coming on in the cluster when you push the ASR button, someone has opened up the cluster and put a bit of paper or something over the light so it doesn't show.  That's my theory.  The cluster isn't a tough thing to remove / open up / put back together for someone who is reasonably techie savvie. :)

• Like 1

Cool thanks - That's totally what I reckon has happened. I'm technically lacking so is it possible I could rectify this or is it a dealer £££ jobbie?

I think both lights should come on when you put the keys in the ignition shouldn't they? And they don't. So that, combined with the little slice missing of the handbrake light, plus the fact that they were faulty until the fuse was replaced leads me to believe someone has physically obscured those lights. Just not sure how to remove the cluster and take it apart sufficiently to De-obscure them! Any links or advice welcome!

TMB THANKS! I found the offending piece of electrical tape over those lights. Now off to see what the lights do now I can see them. Exciting!

Wow, didn't take you long to get it off and dismantled :rofl:

Thanks! I'd seen your named mentioned and was going to message you in a couple of days if I was still struggling - but the guys here have been amazing. The previous person had made my life easier by leaving out the two T10 screws from the back of the cluster too!

It sounds like the previous owner was extremely pikey when it came to repairing/maintaining your car.

Recommend you get it fully checked over to see if there are any other hidden 'gems' waiting to catch you out.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm going to call them for a chat see if there is anything else I should know. To be honest the service history is exemplary and it's in great nick. I suspect they were confronted with a 1000 bill from Skoda for fixing the assumed abs fault and decided against it!