Auto Express Driver Power 2014

Whilst I agree with your comments the survey was about cars currently in use.

Fred

That is why I gave my 2012 Yeti high marks - if I was a new buyer I might not be so happy.

I hope we are all being honest here! I have given my Yeti good marks but TBH the face lifted model is a big disappointment technically. Skoda should have at least included stop-start technology and improved fuel economy across the range commensurate with the rest of the VAG group cars. The Yeti is dropping behind competitors technically and is in danger of being an "also ran", yes, it will always have it's fans but it is such a pity that Skoda funked the chance to put it ahead of its competitors again.

But remember the f/l Yeti is only a face lift not an all new car so most would not expect huge differences between the old and the new. It can't be expected to stay at the top of its class when the design is 5 years old or so. we will have to wait for the all new one before it kicks ass again. 

But remember the f/l Yeti is only a face lift not an all new car so most would not expect huge differences between the old and the new. It can't be expected to stay at the top of its class when the design is 5 years old or so. we will have to wait for the all new one before it kicks ass again. 

But there's good facelifts and lazy ones.

When the Superb II was tweaked it also got better engines with Stop Start and dropped down a few tax bands as a result.

I know the Yeti engines pull well enough but they seem thirsty compared to some alternatives and the styling seems to have been a step backwards for a lot of people too.

When the Superb II was tweaked it also got better engines with Stop Start and dropped down a few tax bands as a result.

I know the Yeti engines pull well enough but they seem thirsty compared to some alternatives and the styling seems to have been a step backwards for a lot of people too.

I agree that it isn't the most advanced car anymore compared to the others including our last car (an Astra Elite) that had all the bells and whistles, but maybe it's because the f/l is our first Yeti we find it works as a family car perfectly. Maybe if we had had a pre f/l previously we might have felt a little short changed but as a new customer of Skoda it's a breath of fresh air. We don't miss all the gizmos (maybe front parking sensors and the great stereo aside) we like the fuss free quality design instead of the spaceship interiors of most cars (including astras). It all just works without fuss. And this coming from a 30 year old.

• Like 1

Exactly, this was a lazy facelift to do just enough and to come into line with the company design image. It is an opportunity missed to provide Yeti owners with an even more attractive package.

Exactly, this was a lazy facelift to do just enough and to come into line with the company design image. It is an opportunity missed to provide Yeti owners with an even more attractive package.

An alternative view is that it means that Skoda were sufficiantly happy with the pre-F/L sales that there was no compelling need to change it. With waiting lists and minimal discounting, it's not as if they were getting a strong message that the car needed changing.

It's prehaps worthy of note that before the Yeti was launched, Skoda suggested that they expected to sell 70% 2WD and 30% 4WD but the reality has been close to the other way round, suggesting that economical running isn't top of the Yeti buyers' priority list.

An alternative view is that it means that Skoda were sufficiantly happy with the pre-F/L sales that there was no compelling need to change it. With waiting lists and minimal discounting, it's not as if they were getting a strong message that the car needed changing.

It's prehaps worthy of note that before the Yeti was launched, Skoda suggested that they expected to sell 70% 2WD and 30% 4WD but the reality has been close to the other way round, suggesting that economical running isn't top of the Yeti buyers' priority list.

This I think is very much the reason for the half baked facelift. It is also why there is ZERO advertising for the Yeti. The factory can only make circa 5,500 Yetis a month. Full stop. And every single one gets sold. Just look at Yeti sales over the last few years and you'll see it varies by 2 or 3% at most. Škoda desperately needs another factory but the overlords won't allow that. Unless of course said factory can also churn out Volkswagens and Audis...

But back on topic: I answered truthfully. And truthfully this car gets top marks for absolutely everything bar fuel consumption.

....this car gets top marks for absolutely everything bar fuel consumption.

Three design 'niggles' for me - lack of 'weather bar' above doors, low position of rear-view mirror and touch-control a/c.  Economy isn't a particularly high priority for me, as a low-mileage driver.  Otherwise, JMO, nothing to improve! 

Agree with most of that except minimal discounting. So many on here have been getting up to 16% discount (via broker or direct from dealer), so hardly call that "minimal". I can't understand though why they have to give such big discounts if they can sell everyone they make.

Agree with most of that except minimal discounting. So many on here have been getting up to 16% discount (via broker or direct from dealer), so hardly call that "minimal". I can't understand though why they have to give such big discounts if they can sell everyone they make.

Because list price has for yonks not been the list price. It's a fairyland price concocted I guess to sell a few cars at that price to the government or any fool that thinks list price is THE price. Everyone knows that every car out there from any brand is list price minus 5 to 20% (depending on brand). That's just how it is. How many they can make is factory dependant and that is already working flat out as it is.

Because list price has for yonks not been the list price. It's a fairyland price concocted I guess to sell a few cars at that price to the government or any fool that thinks list price is THE price. Everyone knows that every car out there from any brand is list price minus 5 to 20% (depending on brand). That's just how it is. How many they can make is factory dependant and that is already working flat out as it is.

Granted Johann, but why can someone like say Ferrari or Morgan sell at list, with absolutely no discount and a lengthy waiting time.

Point I was making initially to Gyp's point re minimal discounting, is that it is a fallacy in respect to most sales on Yetis if members discounts are to be believed.

Still, I bet that the majority of purchasers, especially those that have a trade in (the majority I would think), pay near to list.

I am not embarrassed to say, but I have paid almost list for many new cars over the years when no p/ex involved (Yeti included), not because I am lacking in the negotiating skills, but I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, and being impatient, normally means that maybe I give in a bit too easy I suppose.

However,  with a p/ex, you always end up paying list, no matter how the dealer dresses up the deal (ie; over book p/ex and list, or book and discount) - and that is a fact from the trade.

However,  with a p/ex, you always end up paying list, no matter how the dealer dresses up the deal (ie; over book p/ex and list, or book and discount) - and that is a fact from the trade.

Not always. I got a top book price on my Bravo plus a decent discount on the Octavia.

Not always. I got a top book price on my Bravo plus a decent discount on the Octavia.

Dr Z you finally ordered a car!!?!?!?! Wow. Sorry not seen the post as I guess it is in the taxi forum. Congrats.

And top book price for a Bravo... Erm yes well... :happy: That would still have paid for the leather on an Octy I guess. Hehehe. sorry.

Truthseeker: As to Ferrari et al: supply and demand. I was talking about bread and butter cars. Exotica have different rules.

Dr Z you finally ordered a car!!?!?!?! Wow. Sorry not seen the post as I guess it is in the taxi forum. Congrats.

Yep, back in October and I get it on Saturday. There was a thread about it and everything. Maybe if you ventured outside yeti-land you'd have noticed. ;)

Yep, back in October and I get it on Saturday. There was a thread about it and everything. Maybe if you ventured outside yeti-land you'd have noticed. ;)

I do venture out but not as regularly as I come here. Well done. Glad you got something and it's a Škoda too.

Sorry to disagree - but the rules of the game in the trade is "the price to change".

You may have got top book, and a supposed discount, but  with no p/ex you would have got more discount -  guaranteed. Or, with no "discount" you would have got over top book - it's just a game the dealers play to make the customer think they have won.

Dealers are like Magicians - now you see it now you don't.

Anyway, as long as the customer thinks they got a good deal, that's all that matters.

Sorry to disagree - but the rules of the game in the trade is "the price to change".

You may have got top book, and a supposed discount, but  with no p/ex you would have got more discount -  guaranteed. Or, with no "discount" you would have got over top book - it's just a game the dealers play to make the customer think they have won.

Dealers are like Magicians - now you see it now you don't.

Anyway, as long as the customer thinks they got a good deal, that's all that matters.

Explain to me how I would have got more than a 7% discount on a Mk3 Octavia while the 0% finance deal was running, because nobody else did, with or without a part exchange?

I was assuming you paid cash.

Deals on finance have different rules as the dealer gets a kickback from the finance company (not 0% deals though), so he can be a bit more generous on the deal.

If you were not taking the 0% deal, you would have been able to get far more than 7% as you probably are aware (Yetis getting 16% on average with no finance or trade in). The dealer subsidises the 0% offer, so are limited to what discount they can give away. In your case 7% seems about right with the 0% offer finance, and is the same as Yeti purchasers were getting when taking the 0% deal.

To all the new owners that got their cars a week ago - remember to fill this survey in please.   :love:

To all the new owners that got their cars a week ago - remember to fill this survey in please.   :love:

Link? Or do you mean the survey in message #1?

Edited by idh2013