Permanently disable Safelock

Not sure why you'd want to, is a key part of the cars security. Doing away with this would mean no deadlocks, car would then otherwise be quite easy for any would-be car thief to break into (bust a window and pull the interior door handle).

The message appears on the computer as a reminder not to deadlock people or animals in the car as if something happened they'd not be able to get out of the car without breaking a window (in other words would have to break out rather than break in, something children and animals wouldnt be able to do, hard enough to kick in a tempered window as a grown adult id have thought.)

If you dont want them on, press the lock button twice when locking and you'll hear the deadlocks disengage, this can be confirmed by the alarm LED as it will no longer flash. Not sure but believe it also disables the vehicles alarm system too.

Edited by pipsyp

Simple answer is you can't.

How do you know this?

I have since checked with Skoda and they have said they should be able to do this via VCDS if I bring the car in.

Edited by ozoccy

Not sure why you'd want to, is a key part of the cars security. Doing away with this would mean no deadlocks, car would then otherwise be quite easy for any would-be car thief to break into (bust a window and pull the interior door handle).

The message appears on the computer as a reminder not to deadlock people or animals in the car as if something happened they'd not be able to get out of the car without breaking a window (in other words would have to break out rather than break in, something children and animals wouldnt be able to do, hard enough to kick in a tempered window as a grown adult id have thought.)

If you dont want them on, press the lock button twice when locking and you'll hear the deadlocks disengage, this can be confirmed by the alarm LED as it will no longer flash. Not sure but believe it also disables the vehicles alarm system.

The reason is pretty simple, the Safelock system is potentially dangerous. It is not a fail safe technology and the message on the MFD to read the manual really does nothing to address this.

There is a recent case of a similar system malfunctioning in an Audi causing a women and her young child to become trapped in the vehicle until someone smashed the window to get in. The women had the key fob in the car but it wouldn't work. 

Likewise my 10 year old daughter was accidentally locked in the car, we haven't been able to work out how it happened but my wife is adamant that she did not lock the car as she walked away. It was only when she checked that she saw my daughter was still in the car and trying to get out.

In the summer sun the Safelock system can put life's at risk through a simple mistake or malfunction. I would rather deal with stolen contents or car, than endanger one of the occupants.

Furthermore the system does not stop someone smashing a window to get in to steal something, so it seems pretty pointless.

I am pretty annoyed that it can't be disabled from the menu by the user, as is possible in some VWs. So bottom line, I will get it disabled. In the mean time I have put a glass hammer in the glovebox and given my children instructions on how to use it if they become stuck.

Edited by ozoccy
  • Like 1

Just double press the remote when locking. Oh and don't leave the keys in the car when you get out.

Not particularly helpful, did you read the post?

Edited by ozoccy

Not particularly helpful, did you read the post?

Yes i did, and I also read other posts confirming it cannot be disabled so you only option is to double press the remote which will disable the dead locks each time you lock the car.

So someone says it can't be done with no supporting facts, and Skoda says it can be done. Suggest you have a look at the attached links as it is a potentially serious issue.

So someone says it can't be done with no supporting facts, and Skoda says it can be done. Suggest you have a look at the attached links as it is a potentially serious issue.

Even if the deadlocks on you can still unlock the car by putting the key in the door.

Oh and your second link is making my antivirus go nuts, thanks for that,

I didn't ask IF I should do it.

I'm quite willing to except and live with any legal, moral, ethical and or spiritual repercussions.

Look forward to a technical answer.

Edited by ozoccy

Even if the deadlocks on you can still unlock the car by putting the key in the door.

Oh and your second link is making my antivirus go nuts, thanks for that,

Great...on both fronts. You're not serious are you?

Edited by ozoccy

I understand your concern and as a short term measure you can double click the remote which locks the car then removes the deadlocks.

Obviously the double click option will not stop a malfunction, but equally I propose that disabling deadlocks could not stop the deadlocks malfunctioning and coming on.

It appears to me that you have already introduced the best solution with the glass hammer in the glove box and training, in fact in places with extreme heat car makers should supply glass hammers as standard.

• Like 1

I understand your concern and as a short term measure you can double click the remote which locks the car then removes the deadlocks.

Obviously the double click option will not stop a malfunction, but equally I propose that disabling deadlocks could not stop the deadlocks malfunctioning and coming on.

It appears to me that you have already introduced the best solution with the glass hammer in the glove box and training, in fact in places with extreme heat car makers should supply glass hammers as standard.

Good point, hadn't thought of that. Looks like the hammer will stay in the glove box, it's pretty small anyway.

If your dealer is using VCDS then it won't be a Skoda-approved modification. But there again if it is the diagnostic equipment supplied by the manufacturer then I guess it will be. I would be interested to hear which it is and whether your dealer manages to do what they say they can.

If your dealer is using VCDS then it won't be a Skoda-approved modification. But there again if it is the diagnostic equipment supplied by the manufacturer then I guess it will be. I would be interested to hear which it is and whether your dealer manages to do what they say they can.

I may have got that wrong, I thought it was V something. Will see how I go, but it must be a programmable feature.

The reason is pretty simple, the Safelock system is potentially dangerous. It is not a fail safe technology and the message on the MFD to read the manual really does nothing to address this.

There is a recent case of a similar system malfunctioning in an Audi causing a women and her young child to become trapped in the vehicle until someone smashed the window to get in. The women had the key fob in the car but it wouldn't work.

Likewise my 10 year old daughter was accidentally locked in the car, we haven't been able to work out how it happened but my wife is adamant that she did not lock the car as she walked away. It was only when she checked that she saw my daughter was still in the car and trying to get out.

In the summer sun the Safelock system can put life's at risk through a simple mistake or malfunction. I would rather deal with stolen contents or car, than endanger one of the occupants.

Furthermore the system does not stop someone smashing a window to get in to steal something, so it seems pretty pointless.

I am pretty annoyed that it can't be disabled from the menu by the user, as is possible in some VWs. So bottom line, I will get it disabled. In the mean time I have put a glass hammer in the glovebox and given my children instructions on how to use it if they become stuck.

I have had a good number of VAG cars with deadlocks and have never had this issue. I actually havent had a car without deadlocks for absolutely years. I also have two young children.

cars do not typically lock themselves,also the car would only deadlock if locked using the remote.

You know what the real solution is if youre really that worried about it....dont leave a 10 year old in a car unsupervised would be my honest answer, no disrespect but its more likely either your wife did accidentally lock your child in the car (these things do happen) or your child has had a play around, possibly with the remote. Kids do play after all.

I kind of get where you are coming from but a one off incident thats not all that likely to be down to a failing with the car wouldnt be enough for me to justify getting the deadlocks disabled sorry.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

You know what the real solution is if youre really that worried about it....dont leave a 10 year old in a car unsupervised would be my honest answer, no disrespect but its more likely either your wife did accidentally lock your child in the car (these things do happen) or your child has had a play around, possibly with the remote. Kids do play after all.

I specifically asked for some technical help which luckily a few people have provided.

I also kind of get where you are coming from.

At no time was anyone unsupervised and I have no reason to disbelieve my wife. Some people can't but help make unwarranted and unsubstantiated judgments, or provide help that hasn't been asked for.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately you aren't in a position to make the sort of uninformed judgement that you have just made.

As a practicing engineer I can assure you that electronic systems glitch and sometimes fail, and I really couldn't care less about your sanctimonious views.

Edit: And yes in case you didn't figure it out, I find your comments quite unsavory.

Edited by ozoccy

I specifically asked for some technical help which luckily a few people have provided.

I also kind of get where you are coming from.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately you aren't in a position to make the sort of uninformed judgement that you have just made.

Some people can't but help make unwarranted and unsubstantiated judgments, or provide help that hasn't been asked for. 

As a practicing engineer I can assure you that electronic systems glitch and sometimes fail, and I really couldn't care less about your sanctimonious views.

Edit: And yes in case you didn't figure it out, I find your comments quite unsavory.

In support of pipsyp I don't see anything unsavoury in his comments at all, quite valid IMO.. There is nothing unsafe about the Safelock system - nearly all cars have a similar system and the regulatory authorities would never allow such a system if it was unsafe. As has been pointed out if the electronics fail then the deadlock can be overridden manually by simply inserting thekey in the driver's door lock and turning it which is purely mechanical and does not rely on any electronic system. Better disable the handbrake and gearlever as well in case a child inadvertently left in the car whilst parked played with those controls and the car rolled away down a slope...

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 3