More trouble at Uni for my cub.

Mr Ree

Can you not go down the police and asbo Route? Assume it's similar to normal residences.

Doubt they'd be interested tbh.

"Civil matter guv. Not for us. Go see the Uni management"

All quiet tonight so far.

Going to tell her, as was suggested ^^^, to get some audio / video evidence of this misbehaviour.

More like a ruddy creche than a Uni . :wall:

Going to tell her, as was suggested ^^^, to get some audio / video evidence of this misbehaviour.

Breach of the peace would be well within the polices remit. Doubt they would want involved, no harm in enquiring with them, not '999' style though lol.

That is precisely what uni has been reduced to, its about money not about the leaening. Though trust me its worse going back and dealing with the ineptitude of the uni and the nieveity of students while working

If you lived closer I'd happily help you to re-educate them and "fill them in on the good news." CBRN suits were always good for that sort of thing... not that I'd know... just rumours I've heard :bandit:

I can just see you and a few mates turning up and end up joining in the party :P 

That is precisely what uni has been reduced to, its about money not about the leaening. Though trust me its worse going back and dealing with the ineptitude of the uni and the nieveity of students while working

And quite so too!  :rofl:

That is precisely what uni has been reduced to, its about money not about the learning. Though trust me its worse going back and dealing with the ineptitude of the uni and the nieveity of students while working

Bang on the money...if you'll pardon the pun.

Had to correct, soz  :kiss:

Edited by Mr Ree

Miss r has obviously been speaking to her mother, as she's now obviously got wind that I'm rattled.....don't worry, they're just acting like silly little boys."

PRECISELY, and they shouldn't be! They're at UNI for crying out loud, not play school. :wall:

Have fun, by all means yes yes yes, it's that time of life, but NOT at the expense of making others lives a misery with petty stupid pranks

Sounds like a group of insecure and immature young lads who are trying desperately to communicate with the ladies, but don't yet now how to properly. They probably can't believe their luck - locked in with all these ladies !  You'd have thought by this stage that they'd be over that sort of Middle School behaviour. trouble is, nowadays this sort of behaviour is endemic in our society, low standards of behaviour, morals and ethics, actively promoted by economic vested interests. The very industries that provide parents with the financial wherewithal by way of income from employment that enable them to send their kids to uni are the ones that are undermining standards of behaviour i.e. brewers and distillers, club environments, financial services :giggle:  - bit of a cleft stick there - some say, no wonder the kids of Chinese peasants are beating us educationally hands down !

That said, you got to recognise that behaviour in this sort of environment is going to be a little more varied than the home situation, and its all good up to the point where people's performance starts suffering.

As a first step, perhaps a group of Concerned parents" can write to the Vice Chancellor drawing his attention to the issue and suggesting that a security guard is re-deployed on a temporary basis to do a beat in this hall. See this as an intelligence gathering opportunity, identifying the culprits and what they are doing. If there real yobs, they will continue despite the security presence - job done - a third party has formally identified them.

They can then be disciplined under the university rules and probably will be referred for counselling to the person who runs the social work side of the  "Very peculiar practice" on Campus who will tell them formally of the effect they are having on other people, ask them, as human beings to desist and advise them of them of the escalation route if they continue. Their next of kin and bodies providing then finance for their course may get a letter at this point. That would help focus their minds on their future academic career and it will put em socially and procedurally behind the 8-ball. If they misbehave after that, the VC then you can sling the book at them. 

I presume the same group doesn't do this behaviour in lectures, seminars and any other public places on the campus (Apart from the bar). It needs challenging, because, in excess, its aberrant behaviour, which seeks to test the boundaries of acceptability and, if nobody challenges, it may progress to greater things  i.e. more than light vandalism and noise nuisance, i.e. setting off the fire alarm, climbing up the outside of the building when the external doors are locked, personal threats and intimidation, until they get the attention they crave.

If you were at home and this was happening  to you on an enduring pattern then you could get the local council  and possibly then Police to do something. The council can invoke the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and subsequent legislation to protect you from noise and nuisance and, if they persisted, then then council would intervene warn them and then prosecute if they didn't comply. Very often the council will install a special type of recorder in your property to catch them at it.

I've had the same problem in the early 1990s with the rental property next to me and complaining to the council did the trick - I submitted a months worth of diary sheets along with the complaint.It was so bad at one point, I went next door an actually turned-off the guys leccy at the consumer unit which was semi-external (he did nothing, apart from lean out the window and swear).

I presume that college authorities are responsible for implementing the provisions of the EPA on their estate and they are similarly charged with a duty of care as regards students  studying and accommodated on their campus - a duty a lawyer would  be happy to enforce on your behalf.

If the university fails to take effective action at first instance, (And  that may well be the case), then the avenue opens up for the same group of "Concerned parents" to write to the Vice Chancellor  again informing him/her that the situation still exists and that you the group will be taking the matter higher up the education hierarchy and informing the wider world how .To make sure this letter "Grips his ****" in short order you could copy it to the local MP, your MP and the educational regulation body for higher education - the political establishment and the VC won't like that in an election year.

Bearing in mind the financial sensitivities of  higher education nowadays, the VC won't like any adverse publicity for fear that Gove's mob claws back some money from his budgets and starts investigating academic standards. And you never know, the parents of the guilty parties, as well as the Student Loan Company, Local Authorities  and industry sponsors as mortgagees of these peoples "Education" might take a dim view if they were to learn how  their investment was being spent.

Of course, all this will take time - probably 6-9 months, by which time they'll may well have dropped out or flunked first year exams. On your side is the fact that places like colleges are like "Global villages" and once the word gets round that a group of parents are taking this sort of action, everyone will know, including the local press.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick
  • Like 1

Sounds like the kind of wildly immature but at the time hilarious escapades we all got into, girls and boys. I've not read through the whole thread, but if your daughter is unhappy then that's not good and needs sorting with the uni. Otherwise let her get on with it

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I used to be part of the team that ran the jcr in halls many years back.

1) Make friends with the cleaners and let them know who did it. Make them tea, be nice, treat them like humans

2) talk to the PhD student who will no doubt be there to "run" theoy place and get them all to do so.

3) tell her to let her subject tutor know it's affecting her.

4) complain to the business services running halls.

5) you, not her, may wish to tell them you believe they are not doing what they should and mention their loss of rent.

6) see if they have spare rooms in other halls.

7) get some laxative tablets and dissolve them in their milk.*

8) make some chocolate things or bake some cakes with laxative in. Leave them somewhere these lads will steal them.*

* I can't really suggest these two, but they were funny as f... to see it done to people who always stole food..

Also just makes sure all the women in the uni know these guys are not worth bedding.

• Like 1

I used to be part of the team that ran the jcr in halls many years back.

1) Make friends with the cleaners and let them know who did it. Make them tea, be nice, treat them like humans

2) talk to the PhD student who will no doubt be there to "run" theoy place and get them all to do so.

3) tell her to let her subject tutor know it's affecting her.

4) complain to the business services running halls.

5) you, not her, may wish to tell them you believe they are not doing what they should and mention their loss of rent.

6) see if they have spare rooms in other halls.

7) get some laxative tablets and dissolve them in their milk.*

8) make some chocolate things or bake some cakes with laxative in. Leave them somewhere these lads will steal them.*

* I can't really suggest these two, but they were funny as f... to see it done to people who always stole food..

Also just makes sure all the women in the uni know these guys are not worth bedding.

Can't you?  :D

I shall be speaking to her later on today, and will suggest that she and her flat mates DO NOT perform such an evil act.. :sun:

This is not a new or surprising set of circumstances.  There was a smallish group in my Uni Halls who used to get tanked up and grab the grils and throw them in baths filled with cold water, pee, vomit and beer and think they were hilarious.  See also general rowdy behaviour.

They go threatened with expulsion from halls and they stopped.  They still played tricks on their own group but stopped picking on everyone else.

They also chucked some of the boys into said bath, I found that gently persuading the first one who grabbed me that I did not want to go in the bath was enough and the rest left me alone and tended to the lad in question. :angel:

There should be a President of the SU that could be spoken to, an Accommodations Officer and if the security for the halls is outsourced some sort of manager to speak to.  It always has happened and always will, it is the same as 2 year olds testing their boundaries, young kids at 18 are likely to be "free" for the first time and go a bit wild, when they are shown where the line is they generally toe it.