No more ASDA PAYG: Next best mobile PAYG?

Chan110

Not bother about text nor 4G.

My mum uses non-smart phone.

I seem to remember that a smart phone was part of the criteria to get this deal. After all, how else would they be able to send their intermittent (which I've yet to see any) ads?

Don't worry though as I doubt they check.....

If you use all the 250 minutes then they charge a on a payg tariff which is 8p per minute and if you go over 300 texts is then 5p per text until the next month when the free allowance starts again. To be honest I have never gone over this allowance.i look upon their business model as ITV vs BBC.ITV are funded by ads and the Beeb you pay a license fee. You pay your money and takes your choice.

• Like 1

Smart phone is not required for this free tariff

^ this

My wife uses the free tariff, & for the first few months used an old Razr phone that never accessed the internet.

She has recently swapped her old phone for a Samsung Galaxy to take advantage of the free data.

I know this sounds too good to be true, but it really is free (except for a few ads on the tinterweb).

She has never been charged a penny for any month, & currently has £23 credit sat in her account from credits recieved from the initial purchase of the sim, porting a number & recommending other members. So even if she does go over her allowance it will be covered by her 'free credit'.

Highly recommended :)

Smart phone is not required for this free tariff

Au contraire mes amies.

I know that I've previously had their sim in a non smart phone (and everything worked just fine), but having checked their website, I came across this:-

Fair’s fair.

It’s worth noting that advertising is a key part of the OVIVO Mobile service, so you won’t be able to use VPNs or other services that bypass advertising whilst you’re using OVIVO. You also shouldn’t use any ad blocking software whilst on the OVIVO network.

Without doing more searching, that certainly implies to me that a smart phone is needed.

Maybe best to remember that:-

forewarned_is_forearmed_bumper_bumper_st

I recently checked with Ovivo because my partner has a non smartphone. They assured me they were perfectly happy with non smartphone use. I see nothing you have posted that suggests that a smartphone is required. Indeed what would be the difference in a smartphone used solely for calls and a non smartphone?

I can only speak from personal experience I mostly use my phone for calls and checking emails, with this use I would not be subject to any ads.

If however you use your data to browse the net then ads are apparent.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Cheers guys

Can thy beat the 321 deal?

That's on 3. I'd be carefull on signal strength. When I ditched the landline ,I opted for LYCAMOBILE, at a low rate to mobile and landline. Then I found 3. I use T Mobile for net access on PC, and signal is good. Lyca and Voddy great signal, but I can only use 3 upstairs or in the rear garden .

That's on 3. I'd be carefull on signal strength. When I ditched the landline ,I opted for LYCAMOBILE, at a low rate to mobile and landline. Then I found 3. I use T Mobile for net access on PC, and signal is good. Lyca and Voddy great signal, but I can only use 3 upstairs or in the rear garden .

Cheers VWD

I have 3 already on contract.

Have heard their coverage not that good.

But I had no issue so far - maybe coz I always in good reception areas!

Au contraire mes amies.

I know that I've previously had their sim in a non smart phone (and everything worked just fine), but having checked their website, I came across this:-

Without doing more searching, that certainly implies to me that a smart phone is needed.

I just signed up.

So will report back on what happens.

Though that small snippet of T&C only states one should not circumvent the ads. Nothing about u must have a smart phone to use their SIM card.

Having said that - I not read their T&C in the entirety! Eeek!

Au contraire mes amies.

As 2 current users have already said, smartphone not needed.

My mum s on Asda PAYG.

At the time (many moons ago),

thy were the cheapest per min.

Asda is now leaving the mobile sector.

I need to find my mum a new operator.

Mum only uses it very ocassionally.

Say a 10mins per month.

Or a £10 top up will last her a year!

Where should she go?

I think the 3 3-2-1 plan (3p call, 2p text, 1p mb) is quite good:

http://store.three.co.uk/mobile/view/content/simonlypayg

I don't think Asda are leaving altogether, it's just they are changing their carrier from Vodafone to EE. However, if you are looking to change, I find Tesco Mobile pretty cheap

I don't think Asda are leaving altogether, it's just they are changing their carrier from Vodafone to EE. However, if you are looking to change, I find Tesco Mobile pretty cheap

Yay!

I mean - i can reply now :-)

Cheers Gareth.

U right, and yes - want I want change of carrier anyway.

Update

Forgot the ONLY non-smart phone in the house is. .

... LOCKED! Lol

Ok.

Put it in a very old phone (14yr old Samsung E350) which does have internet access.

Signed up

Activate

Select phone to configure for internet + mms

Received 2 text to save settings for OVIVO internet + mms

Ignored the 2 texts.

Phone worked fine.

Rings out.

Recieves incoming.

Text out :-))))

Cheers guys!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some good news today.

PayPal agreed to refund me 2 of the OVIVO SIM cards i bought earlier :-)

>>>

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your

favour.

You have indicated that a partial refund of 20.00 GBP would be satisfactory.

We were able to recover 20.00 GBP, and this amount has been credited to

you. Please allow 5 working days for this adjustment to be posted.

>>>