help badly needed please

abla

hello fellas,i need some ideas or opinions on what is really going on with my octavia 1..and here it goes i started the car in a cold morning and i stepped on the accelerator while the gear is on neutral so the rev counter went up to about  3500 and then the engine suddenly died so i tried to start the engine but it wouldnt and i still tried about four times and on the fifth try it did start but it was like a different car, the engine was jolting and shaking and there was a lot of smoke coming out and when i tried to drive it away it had difficulty running as if the handbrake was lifted so i turned the engine off and waited for about 20 minutes,after that it ran better but not as good as when i first bought it..to those of you guys who had the same experience hope you can help me out and to those who has some thoughts on the matter any help is very much appreciated cheers!car is a 2003 octavia 1.9 tdi 110 110,00 mileage 

Why would you want to rev the engine to 3500 rpm in neutral from a cold start? I would take it to be seen by a mechanic straight away, it sounds like the timing belt may have jumped a tooth.

Ian

• Like 1

I would be tending towards not driving it too far... ie the nearest mechanic you trust.

Putting the hammer down like that though..... not good, at most i let mine rev to 2000 on a cold start.

Im with Countryboy, timing slipped when it got gunned cold.

Or maybe an injector? check all the fuel and air hoses in case something split..

• Like 1