My new 13 plate Fabia vRS DSG

I collected my Fabia vRS today from my local dealer... we concluded everything that I needed to know.. and he sent me on my way.. 

Well I tried to get on my way.. but I tried pulling off the forecourt as if I was driving a manual.. dohhh this was only my second time driving an automatic.. and obviously the car wouldnt move... 

I called the sales guy back... and he obviously moved it.. said dont be affraid just let out the brake and apply the accelerator.. worked this time...

But I noticed the car doesnt feel how it felt when I test drove it.. I seem to remember on the test drive the car moved forwards quicker just by letting out the break than what it has today... and the ride also felt more bumpy compared to the test drive.

Have I caused a fault?

Or im just imagining things??

Tahnks in advance 

I can't help with your query (lots of experience with both manual and auto boxes) but I would be very interested to hear on a weekly basis how you get on with your vRS over the next few months.

The first time I ever drove an automatic, I was "let in" to a motorway from a slip road, waved thanks, accelerated hard and then stood on the clutch to change gear - HORRENDOUS!

• Like 3

most DSG's will move by just letting off the brake, depends on the gradient, and the boxes can set themselves up differently, you will get used to it :) a lsight touch of the gas will get you moving :)

tyres make a big difference in this car, there maybe different tyres to the car you test drove.... (what are they?) may be worth checking the pressures too :)

I doubt you have caused a problem ;)

the DSG will take a few journeys to adapt to your driving style.Do be patient with the DSG while it adapts, especially at the roundabout as the throttle response will be different to a manual.

• Like 1

I can't help with your query (lots of experience with both manual and auto boxes) but I would be very interested to hear on a weekly basis how you get on with your vRS over the next few months.

The first time I ever drove an automatic, I was "let in" to a motorway from a slip road, waved thanks, accelerated hard and then stood on the clutch to change gear - HORRENDOUS!

Thanks for the reply. Oops! slammed down your foot on the break! Hope nothing disasterous happened...?

most DSG's will move by just letting off the brake, depends on the gradient, and the boxes can set themselves up differently, you will get used to it :) a lsight touch of the gas will get you moving :)

tyres make a big difference in this car, there maybe different tyres to the car you test drove.... (what are they?) may be worth checking the pressures too :)

I doubt you have caused a problem ;)

Thanks for reply. Yeah my DSG moves forward just by taking foot off the break. umm the car I test drove is this 1 strangely enough.. (the only fabia vRS they had in) the letting off of the break doesnt seem to move the car forward how it was when I test drove it in my opinion. Maybe its me. 

the DSG will take a few journeys to adapt to your driving style.Do be patient with the DSG while it adapts, especially at the roundabout as the throttle response will be different to a manual.

Thanks for the reply. When I was pressing the accelerator I noticed I felt some resistance??... 

Enjoy your car.

Is it a Brand New 2013,

or a ex Demonstrator with some miles done already?

Do you understand the HHC,  Hill hold control ?

Are you just using the right foot.

& not Left on brake and right on accelerator?

the prescribed petrol is 98 ron.

Read the Owners manual on the Running in.

The tyres need the newness off them, and the brakes, discs and pads need some running in,

there is a coating to wear off, newness on the brake cable etc.

Everything will loosen off with use.

Enjoy your car.

Do you understand the HHC,  Hill hold control ?

Are you just using the right foot.

& not Left on brake and right on accelerator?

the prescribed petrol is 98 ron.

Thanks. I understand HHC.. yes... but I wasnt on a hill in the described circumstances.. I was on the flat... maybe its me... I think im gonna take it out for a quick spin in a minute and see how it feels....talking of filling up.. I rang my dealer to confirm which petrol to use.. he said unleaded or super unleaded.. I put unleaded in?? He sia dit doesnt make a difference... maybe only performance??

It will run on unleaded 95 ron.

But I would get Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro.

The Prescribed fuel is 98 ron,

thats what the engine runs best on or a better octane.

I think it might just make a difference, and you might just notice the difference.

• Like 1

Yeah ex demonstrator car driven by skoda.. on 2200miles on the clock..

OK il have to try 1 of those..

I put in sainsburys unleaded... also nice of them to not have the tank at least half full haha..

Love the car though.. it can really shift... but im concerned about feeling resistance in the accelerator.. I think im gonna take it out and see how it feels...

it does take some getting used to but very very soon you will love the dsg

as for petrol, just put in whatever you want, dont get hung up on any particular brand although the super does better mpg i doubt anyone can tell whether it gives better performance in real world driving and as for better cleaning properties etc etc there are users on here that only have access to 95 ron and have zero issues

i personally use bp ultimate as its all i can get and it gave me about 50 more miles to the tank so being a lazy a$$ it saves me filling up as often

just try not to do what vxh26 did, ive done it too and it scared the sh!t out of the car behind

• Like 1

it does take some getting used to but very very soon you will love the dsg

as for petrol, just put in whatever you want, dont get hung up on any particular brand although the super does better mpg i doubt anyone can tell whether it gives better performance in real world driving and as for better cleaning properties etc etc there are users on here that only have access to 95 ron and have zero issues

i personally use bp ultimate as its all i can get and it gave me about 50 more miles to the tank so being a lazy a$$ it saves me filling up as often

just try not to do what vxh26 did, ive done it too and it scared the **** out of the car behind

Thanks for the reply.. Yeah love the car I have it in mean green. I got the extra amundsden sat nav.. its nice.. just a shame its not DAB+...

Yeah I think I might get my petrol from BP as its 1 of the nearest petrol stations to me.... 

Haha.. yeah the breaks are VERY responsive.. those are gonna take getting used to... just lightly pressing them you get good breaking....

Your motor is looking good in white.. thats probably the other colour I would get it in but im too lazy to wash a car like every week or somerthing haha...

haha neighbours accross the road from me... wash their car everyday it seems lol...

and yeah.. got the black alloys.. look amazing.. with the black wings mirrors black roof.. it all sets off the green well...

lol sorry sk4gw... im not thinking tonight... silly silly error.. almost school boy *hangs head in shame*

What George says about 98 RON fuel is worth noting. I ran mine on regular 95 for a while but then used a few tanks of sainsburys 97 which was ok... Then just this week I've used Tesco Momentum 99. Wow what an improvement! It's worth it for the sake of a few quid, it's not like it will add much to high costs we pay to fill up already, might as well enjoy it a little.

Going to try V-Power next, haven't touched it for years.

• Like 1

haha neighbours accross the road from me... wash their car everyday it seems lol...

and yeah.. got the black alloys.. look amazing.. with the black wings mirrors black roof.. it all sets off the green well...

lol sorry sk4gw... im not thinking tonight... silly silly error.. almost school boy *hangs head in shame*

Hey we have the same colours. I'm sure my neighbours actively whine about me washing mine every weekend (weather permitting) but why spend so much money on something and not look after it IMO... It seems odd to me how people appear to buy specific cars like MINI's, 500's etc which you could consider a car for someone who values it's appearance (less so the mini), so why do some people just let them rot... Baffles me! Edited by austenw90

Not washing a car every week doesn't cause a car to rot unless you live in Chenobyl maybe.

Some of my neighbours wash theirs once a week even if it's spitting on with rain, must have nowt better to do with themselves on weekends, if it's dirty mine gets washed, if it doesn't look dirty then it's left until it is, simples.

• Like 1

Yeah il have to try a super unleaded or an equivalent as u suggest tesco momentum or the V-Power or BP ultimate.. etc...

Hey we have the same colours. I'm sure my neighbours actively whine about me washing mine every weekend (weather permitting) but why spend so much money on something and not look after it IMO... It seems odd to me how people appear to buy specific cars like MINI's, 500's etc which you could consider a car for someone who values it's appearance (less so the mini), so why do some people just let them rot... Baffles me!

Yeah now ive got this car.. I think il be keeping it looking how it should.. like a new car... otherwise no point in it really...

You have the mean green too?? I think its the best colour for the fabia vRS.. and I like how Skoda UK advertised it.. very clever and different.. im sure that got many peoples attention.

I noticed head turns in just the short trip I went on tonight.. :D

GazBull17, I understand. I was referring to the people in the street here, I think 9/10 probably don't own a hosepipe and have never cleaned a car at all. I actually recently watched my neighbour attempt to clean his with a stiff yard broom... I think it is a bit of a hobby to me.

The Rallye Green certainly is a fantastic colour and gets some looks. The black wrap sets it off nicely too. The blue is also a favourite of mine but it does look great in all colours.

Enjoy it! All advice leans to driving it enthusiastically as well ;)

The Momentum 99 Ron, is 5 Pence a litre more expensive usually than 95 ron, unless you are able to buy cheap 95 ron.

So £2.50 a tank more and worth every penny, & the Momentum is Probably 5 pence a litre cheaper than you will find V-Power.

But the Momentum is worth getting even if it cost the same or more IMO.

If not for better consumption, just for the better running engine.

Shells Additives are not worth paying extra for, the 99 Ron bit is what matters. JIMO.

http://petrolprices.com

• Like 1

I was sort of jesting anyway, when I had motorbikes I used to wash them after every time I rode them, bit anal really.

I do like to have a clean car but now I tend to leave it until it looks like it needs one especially at this time of year.

The green vRS is defo the best colour yet you don't see many, not around here anyway.

What George says about 98 RON fuel is worth noting. I ran mine on regular 95 for a while but then used a few tanks of sainsburys 97 which was ok... Then just this week I've used Tesco Momentum 99. Wow what an improvement! It's worth it for the sake of a few quid, it's not like it will add much to high costs we pay to fill up already, might as well enjoy it a little.

Going to try V-Power next, haven't touched it for years.

Fuel wise this is my findings, I've not tried anything else yet.... (is there anything else)

Tesco Momentum 99 turns a Donkey into a Flying Talking Donkey! :rock:

Shell V-Power is good and gets my thumbs up :thumbup:

BP ultimate is only 97 and IMO is just expensive pond water :rain:  

Edit/added: Enjoy the car, when you get used to the box and the feel of everything is more instinct it is a cracker and if you make a few choice mods (I'm planning to!!!) the car by all accounts can be made to be even better at reasonable costs!

Wrighty

Edited by wrightcnc2009