Drivers side door loom...

alecg51

Hello!

I've got the issue with the drivers side door not locking on the keyfob, but with the key. The interior light works, but puddle light and lock led doesn't. I bought the car like this and it came with a replacement loom.

When poking about this weekend to upgrade the door speakers I noticed that a few pins from the door control unit had corroded, and cleaning with contact cleaner did nothing.

So, my questions are - is it likely to be the loom, and if so how hard is it to replace?

Thanks!

Hello!

I've got the issue with the drivers side door not locking on the keyfob, but with the key. The interior light works, but puddle light and lock led doesn't. I bought the car like this and it came with a replacement loom.

When poking about this weekend to upgrade the door speakers I noticed that a few pins from the door control unit had corroded, and cleaning with contact cleaner did nothing.

So, my questions are - is it likely to be the loom, and if so how hard is it to replace?

Thanks!

Not likely to be the loom buddy. 

More likely to be water ingress over time to the door /window regulator that has caused the corrosion.

Chances are the owner previous did not do enough fault diagnosis and just got a spare loom hoping it would solve issue.

Loom can fail but normally due to a break/fatigue somewhere in the loom and just prevent a component working but not to cause what you have.

What you have is quite common typical damp corrosion issues .

I have replaced all door components in the past and all reasonable to get to including and the  loom is quite easy to replace.. 

• Like 1

Hello!

Thanks!

I had the same problem and both the window motor and loom had been damaged by water.So I would replace both.

• Like 1

When I had a dig about at the weekend it seemed the door/window motor has been replaced at some point (the bit which has a big connector, with the corroded pins) as it has white writing all over it!

The pins on the actual motor itself look fine, but not so much in the loom.

I will check all my codes at lunch time.

Thanks for your help so far!

When I had a dig about at the weekend it seemed the door/window motor has been replaced at some point (the bit which has a big connector, with the corroded pins) as it has white writing all over it!

The pins on the actual motor itself look fine, but not so much in the loom.

I will check all my codes at lunch time.

Thanks for your help so far!

Ah ok then

In your first post you mentioned cooroded pins which is why I assumed you had a duff control unit. So it seems he went half way on the job then and replaced the unit but as you have suspect loom connectors now then yes replace the loom as that could be damaged now.

Reasonable job to do.

You will have to unplug from the A pillar, then unplug from all other components and pop out the wire plastic plugs. I would take a picture of how the loom routes around the door to be sure you fit new loom correctly.

I would also test cental locking and window before you fit panel back.

I have known the loom to stop the door led as well so hopefully this will fix your issue.

Sent from my Samsung S3

• Like 1

Ah ok then

In your first post you mentioned cooroded pins which is why I assumed you had a duff control unit. So it seems he went half way on the job then and replaced the unit but as you have suspect loom connectors now then yes replace the loom as that could be damaged now.

Reasonable job to do.

You will have to unplug from the A pillar, then unplug from all other components and pop out the wire plastic plugs. I would take a picture of how the loom routes around the door to be sure you fit new loom correctly.

I would also test cental locking and window before you fit panel back.

I have known the loom to stop the door led as well so hopefully this will fix your issue.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Thank you, sorry my terminology was a little flakey!

So the loom unplugs around where it goes through the door?

Thanks!

Thanks!

You need to remove the trim below the bonnet release handle, the plug is behind it. I would be surprised to find more water and corrosion in that connector.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Yes it does as trundlenut mentions to get good access the panel needs to be removed right next to the pedals the loom plugs in there.

Hello,

A slight update - I had a dig around and found a broken wire in the door which I fixed,but this only cured the light on the door which is quite annoying!

I removed the two screws for the panel directly above the pedals and had a look/feel about but couldn't see where the connector would go, I saw the relays etc

etc, could I further, more idiot proof info?

Thanks!

Thank you.

There was an oval cover and it covered two screws.

Next question really is has my "new" loom been butchered? Are the brown cables meant to be joined together and wrapped in cable (in the door end of the loom), and the brown and yellow cables towards the car end of the loom? Also, there is a grey and blue wire which splits from one wire into two? 

I can't find any pictures and forgot to look when I had the door card off last night, doh!

Thanks again.

It has a fabric wrap over it which seems to be keeping the loom bunched together, however at theose points I mentioned the wires were wrapped in duck/duct tape.

I took the duck tape off and had a look. The wires under this tape were stripped and bunched together - it looks quite a neat job, and there are marks from where they look to have been crimped. Not being a "wire man" I'm not sure if this helps?

Thank yhou so much so far though!

That's what I thought. I will take the door card off again later and double check with my existing one - there doesn't appear to be any new connectors or anything from where the grey and blue wire goes from one into two for example. I guess (in an optimistic way) it could be someone's extra protection!

Ideally I could find a decent picture of a new/known good loom, but I can't find one anywhere.

It has a fabric wrap over it which seems to be keeping the loom bunched together, however at theose points I mentioned the wires were wrapped in duck/duct tape.

I took the duck tape off and had a look. The wires under this tape were stripped and bunched together - it looks quite a neat job, and there are marks from where they look to have been crimped. Not being a "wire man" I'm not sure if this helps?

Thank yhou so much so far though!

The original loom is normally covered in a cloth tape, however this can get water ingress and just become powdery or pull apart and crumble . Most I have seen do this. 

I have also seen quite a few looms with duct tape which defo means someone have been at it, not maybe a bad thing as they may have just cleaned up loom , pulled off the old cloth tape and re taped in better stuff.

Mind you a lot of looms that have been messed with wheather for good or bad reasons end up failing because once the old frail wires are disturbed they can be pulled and cause breakages in the wires and loom and them give all sorts of issues. My rear door loom was the same and although i could not find the break i could press against loom and door lock would work. As the loom only get's a 12v when remote is activated (canbus) dam hard to replicate the exact fault.

Also the loom can fail at the door pillar side as all the door opening and closing can fatigue the wires , although the rubber grommets and plastic o ring should stop it they don't always.

Also the wires do part and split and go to other components like , electric windows, speaker, door puddle light, door lock, window regular etc.

I would first unplug the main components like A pillar loom, door look, window regular and hang in new loom and then connect these up and see if your issues are fixed.

That way you do not have to take off your loom.

But as your loom seems corroded best to replace anyway. But at least you can feel happy testing it.

• Like 1

I changed the loom over (the plug on the lock was a right sod) and bingo I have an led, and locking door on the remote,happy days!

However,it has come at the sacrifice of my front drivers side speakers...

I'm debating bypassing the loom wiring for the speakers now

Really confused!

I changed the loom over (the plug on the lock was a right sod) and bingo I have an led, and locking door on the remote,happy days!

However,it has come at the sacrifice of my front drivers side speakers...

I'm debating bypassing the loom wiring for the speakers now

Really confused!

did you connect up both speaker and tweeter wires ?

do you have a multi meter to check continuity at each end of wire?