Fabia II 1.2 60BHP nightmarish mpg

rbss

How is your mini geared though mate?

The pre facelift 1.2's suffer on fuel economy at motorway speeds because of the gearing i think. Theyre geared to do 3500rpm at 70mph, where as the facelift gets much better economy as your doing 70mph at 3000rpm.

I find i get best economy between 1500 and 3000rpm in my 2013 htp.

Theirs a noticeable step in power as it reaches peak torque at about 3000rpm. It starts drinking fuel at that point i find.

It is not a Mini it is a Picanto, (mini heliphlumps made by Kia)  and it has 4 gears that takes it from 0-105 in the gear it needs to be in when redlined,

and needs to drop from 4th to 3rd sometimes to keep going, that keeps it at around 5,000 rpm.

Low power output,& not lightweight, just boot them for more forward motion faster, 

& you drive to the power/weight for economy if that is what you are after.

Hardly  complicated.

No need to be, bought new, 2006, 27,000 miles always thrashed,

1 exhaust  back box on Warranty,

3 sets of spark plugs and 1 set of coils, and only 99 ron fuel & good oil.  

Treat them well, feed them good fluid and they behave as you want.

• Like 1

Okay, possibly my own ignorance here, but you guys are talking about any post 2010 Fabia having a drive chain, but when I look in the engine compartment of my 2012 Fabia, I'm pretty damn sure it has a cambelt!

Is this just my poor knowledge of engines, or is mine, err... wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Is that over a decent size run? You should defo be getting alot better than that.

Ill be interested to hear other peoples inputs on this, as i cant think of a way i can help myself. Especially if you were getting 42-45mpg on your previous engine over similar journeys.

im getting around 40/45 plus ,running a 2008 fabia sport,but im easy on the accelerator,if u put the foot down you pay the price.

Even if I boot my 70hp HTP around, I struggle to get 35mpg. (I never change higher than 5,000rpm).

Today for example, on a run from Buxton to Sheffield and back, which is a very hilly route, I averaged just over 49mpg. I wasn't exactly going slow (I prefer to call it not wasting my speed ;)) haha.

30mpg should even be possible, it certainly isn't right under normal driving conditions IMO

Edited by Otaylor38

If it's any help, I've got the 60hp one and I get about 280 miles from a tank by only doing very short trips (less than 2 miles), whereas on long journeys I get anything between 450-500 miles.

• Like 1