Yeti 110 diesel

Smudger64

Well, I'm on my second 110 diesel and am very happy with it.  

Economy?  Look at my signature box.

Refinement is (for me anyway) pretty good and I'm quite happy with the five speed box.  

I'd say about 40% of mu driving is urban and the rest is twisty country roads.  I'm not a hooligan though - I'd say I was just an average driver.

I have had my 110 3 years, 25k and averaged around the same at 49.4. This is based on actual fuel consumption not the maxidot which would have you believe the average is 54mpg. 60mpg is achievable as I proved driving back from Cornwall during the fuel crisis with diesel in short supply. Just ordered a new F/L which will be the 1.2 TSI but only because my situation is changing and I expect to do lots of short journeys. Refinement - well I think it compares favorably with its peers and to be honest think for comfort it is hard to beat. A 6th gear would not go amiss but there againyou don't have to change down on the motorway going uphill. Swings and roundabouts spring to mind.

Economy is  45-50 on average, down to 30-35 stuck in busy town traffic.

Refinement-could definitely do with an extra 20-30 bhp but then I've come from a 2.2 diesel Honda and that is the best (power delivery, refinement) engine I've ever experienced in a car. The 110 struggles on steep hills and you find yourself changing down but otherwise, I haven't missed a 6th gear and I'm starting to enjoy the slightly noisy growl it makes. Don't get me wrong though, most of the time it is a pretty quiet atmosphere in the Yeti's cabin. I suppose the refinement question depends very much on what you're used to and also what you're comparing it against.

Edited by fastestlouigie

• 1 month later...

Managed  61 - 66mpg today, on a 135 mile round trip to Kielder. On-board: 2 adults, 3 kids (2 of them teens) and 2 large dogs in boot, plus lots of picnic stuff.  Mileage is just under 10,000 miles, so the engine has loosened up nicely.  OK we did get stuck behind a logging truck for quite a while on the way home, but a fair bit of motorway driving too.

I know this isn't the recommended on the fuel cap, but I have found over the years, having all 4 tyres at 39-40 PSI helps both in fuel economy and handling on long journeys.

Now covered 8,000 miles in Seedy since taking delivery last October. Average on a 'brim to brim' basis is just over 51mpg.

Everyone to their own, but I prefer just the 5 gears as it means less faffing around and Seedy mops up the miles with aplomb. My 'wish list' would have included electrically operated seats but unfortunaely this was not available on the Adventure.

Edited by Shanco

As someone who has just spent quite a bit to trade up from a 2wd 110 to a 4wd 170, I'd say the 110 is a more refined and quieter car, and actually more fun to driver in a strange way.

No problem with the 5 speed; my main reservation is with the brakes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My dad has gone from a 140bhp Audi A3 to a 110 2wd Yeti. He hasn't really missed 6th gear or the extra 30 ponies and fuel consumption is comparable too, and I suspect the Yeti mpg will improve, I think he's only done 1500 miles in it so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I find the 110 PS engine very refined and surprisingly economical. My new Yeti is only 6 weeks old and it's done 2400 miles. Today we did a mixed 54 mile journey and the maxidot was showing 60.5 mpg when we got home. I find the 'sweet spot' is at an indicated 60 mph, true 57 mph, in 5th which corresponds to 1750 rpm. At this speed you can't hear the engine only a little tyre noise. We bought this version as a compromise - big enough to tow our caravan but with, hopefully, low running costs and we have not been disappointed.

The 5 speed box is very smooth and I do not miss a 6th speed since the gearing, at 33 mph/1000rpm in 5th, is plenty good enough for economy purposes.

• Like 1

After extensive research, this engine/gearbox combination was my definate clear-cut pick of the bunch choice.

(i) 110BHP is plenty adequate

(ii) I very much prefer a 5 speed box to a 6 speed

(having driven the daughters 6 speed Yaris, simply tooooo much gear changing in normal mixed driving, or so I found)

Cept we ended up buying an Octavia for the Mrs.'s wheelchair.

The 2.0TDi 110 comes with 2 gearboxes deepening on the type of drivetrain. If you have the 2WD then it's a 5 speed gearbox. On the 4WD it is a 6 speed gearbox. This is on the FL range as I don't know about the pre-FL