Engine Management Light Misery

Jinjacolin,

The fault code points the the cat.

Before you spend any more money, check all the fuses that have anything to do with the engine and the engine management.

SN

Many Thanks to Toxicvrs for the CAT removal guide, I jacked the car up today to familiarise my self with the CAT location and access to bolts to be removed. Fingers crossed it will go well. Not sure whether to buy a new CAT from Europarts so I know its brand new or to get one from scrapyard with no guarantee it will work. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice, what is the thinking behind this please? Please remember I am a novice car repairer.

Many Thanks.

On another VAG car, I had a warning light come on which pointed to a faulty cam sensor.  It turned out to be a blown engine management fuse which was caused by a totally unrelated component on the same circuit.

SN

Hi toxicvrs, thank you for that info, just looked online and they are quite a bit cheaper! Much appreciated, looking to change the CAT myself.

Hi Steve, thanks for your advice, I would probably have to get a vehicle electrician to chase that one down, unless a voltmeter across the fuse would quickly do it, are all the fuses in the side panel of the dash?

• 1 year later...

The engine management light came on my 2003 Fabia 1,2 about 18 months ago which showed fault code P0420. I had noticed the rear silencer was looking a bit ropey with some of the metal delaminating but it didn't appear to leak or sound noisy. As the MOT was coming up I thought I'd get it replaced as they'd probably give me an advisory on it anyway. After that the light engine management light was on for the next couple of journeys but then went off and has stayed off since so it looks like any part of the exhaust that is suspect in any way can cause the engine management light to come on.

Quite common for the cat to fail on the 1.2 motors.

You could just fit a lambda spacer to the post cat lambda and that would keep the eml light off. EBay has the spacers for around £6.

I'd do that unless the cat is breaking up.