handbrake woe

Hi the handbrake on my 2002 1.9 tdi octavia is crap ive paid hundreds over the past year or two! numerous cylinders shoes and new cables yet my handbrake still wont hold, it works for a little while but then goes. when trying to adjust the cable i noticed by the handrake  lever where both cables are linked they seem to pull out of line, is this normal? if not what have the garage done wrong i give up i,m doing the damn thing myself next time i cant do no worse. I appreciate any help Cheers Rich

id need to check, but Im pretty sure mine aren't equal either.

when replacing cables, are you definitly sure they are being replaced with the correct one?

i know theres 2 that come up on ECP as being correct for my 1.9, only difference seems to be 4mm in length, but still....

Hi Mac i left it with garage so assumed they got right one i took drum off yesterday and to top it all cylinder is weeping the adjuster just doesnt seem to push shoes out enough i slackened cable first then tried to adjust it up and still cant get hardly any handbrake with cable fully adjusted so i would guess they may have wrong one as the shoes aew in good nick. I think i,ll have to bite the bullet and start again with all new parts and go from there. Cheers Rich