some questions for sdi owners

Hi, im new on here and have posted my greetings on the intro forum. I am currently car less but will be getting a car in the next week. I am extremely interested in the 1.9 sdi engines and am considering a fabia sdi or an octavia sdi. I have done extensive research on these cars with that engine and know that they are pretty bulletproof reliability wise. I want to know if they are really as slow as everyone makes out. I am not a speedy driver, i am a relaxed, forward planning and generally cruiser type driver who drives for max mpg and longer lasting consumables and do not need a fast car. As long as it can pull up a hill (albeit slowly) without needing redlined im happy. How does it compare torque and rev wise to say...the 1.3 duratec ford ka i had a few months ago? Surely cant be any worse?. I just cant imagine its as slow as folks make out. Ill sacrifice speed for insane mpg and reliability anyday. Just want to know if you reallg have to rev its guts out to get it going. Thanks in advance.

Also...anyone in the edinburgh/lothians area selling an sdi car for £900 mark?

Edited by sparkymarc92
  • Like 1

I had a Polo 9n 1.9 SDI for a short while and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who enjoys driving. Brutally slow in some situations and a bit of a chore to drive if I'm honest. 

Steep hills were embarrassing if I couldn't get a good run up to them. 

Ive had an sdi fabia combi for over a month now....there aint many cars I havnt owned or driven...I got the sdi as I needed a workhorse for my work comute that I could rely on and wouldnt break the bank maintenance wise...

First thing first...IT IS A SLOW AS EVERYONE SAYS....but its a smooth comfortable not too noisy ride...ive been getting about 280miles to £30...which im very happy with.

Its really grown on me and the cruise style drive is so comfy im gonna use it to drive down to newquay with (from brum) instead of my much faster gti...

I cannot recomend an sdi anymore...and will happily buy another

Going by the first post, I'd say an SDI is ideal. 

70mpg+++ can be readily achieved with steady driving. 

More than enough torque for going up hills.

We had ours for 4 and a half years and about 60k miles.

In that time other than normal servicing it had console bushes done

(twice) because stupidly, the first time I replaced like for like and the two web ones

are poop. After doing the job a second time with the 4 web it was fine and made a

positive improvement. Apart from that we had a new clutch fitted at 100k as the original

factory fitted kit had a dodgy release bearing and was playing up a bit. That was it in 4

years and nearly 62k miles. Total spend on the clutch job and both times doing the bushes

was about £600 all in parts supplied and fitted. So under £150 a year in keeping the car

roadworthy beyond normal servicing expenses. I don't think that's bad at all. 

Not fast but will sit at 80 all day, I did Romford N/E London to Bath Somerset in ours in

2 hours and 10 minutes door to door. About 160 miles in total. Just under 75mph average speed

including the 'not motorway' bits.

I'd have another and am currently in the market for a new van.

If the right one came up with an SDI lump I'd buy it.   

What makes you want a SDI over a TDI?

And what do you call insane MPG?

My exhaust had that many holes in it, it looked like a colander, yet I could still get about 60mpg out of it without even trying.  

Yeh, we got our readout saying 83 for a 70dd mile run once, granted it was probably

less than that as I know they over read a little. 

But calculated brim to brim regularly exceeding 70mpg on Mrs Grrs normal usage when

she was using it for her commute. 

I have a 1.9tdi and my brother has a 1.9 SDI

Although he is the butt of all my jokes regarding power (as everyone say's, it really is that slow), the smirk is soon wiped off my face when he tells me he's getting 75mpg on his commute compared to my 55mpg (similar roads)

Personally, I would choose the TDI every time for a compromise between MPG figures and the ability to press on, however there is a massive case for the SDI and is more than capable of maintaining motorway cruising speeds, just not all that good getting there. 

Annnnndddd, SDI with Bosch pump? (somebody PLEASE correct me if im wrong :D) I think can be run on veggie oil..... if that's your sort of thing :D

Josh

Not owned an SDi, but had a golf SDi (same 1.9 engine) as a loan car when my Octy I was in for some body repairs.

I did a fair few miles during the time I had it including a 400-mile round trip to Cornwall.

Not fast, but a great cruiser and pretty good consumption. To be honest, modern turbo diesels will get similar economy, but by the sounds of what you say you're after it should be fine.

SDI was originally a boat engine if you go back far enough. 

Hence very frugal, bombproof and ultra reliable. 

You wouldn't want anything that goes in the sea to be anything

but reliable would you. 

titanic-sinking.jpg?resize=511%2C287

@Robbbbie...im going sdi over tdi as there is no turbo to fail (had this happen on a tdi i used to own, nightmare)...no intercooler to fail, pump less likely to fail, cheaper insurance and around a grand cheaper to buy (comparing to a decent condition tdi)..with the added bonus of an extra 15-20mpg.

I had an SDI and it was brilliant, as said above big mpg's easily achievable. It is slow but can go up hills fine, 0-60 in 16 seconds is just a long time but by no means too slow for driving happily and safely. I borrowed a ford Ka for a bit and id say the SDI was more pleasant but lazier was the best description i can come up with. Makes a great motorway car compared to something like a for Ka too IMO. 

@Robbbbie...im going sdi over tdi as there is no turbo to fail (had this happen on a tdi i used to own, nightmare)...no intercooler to fail, pump less likely to fail, cheaper insurance and around a grand cheaper to buy (comparing to a decent condition tdi)..with the added bonus of an extra 15-20mpg.

They also only have a single mass flywheel and no DMF either. 

Both of which can be weak on the diesel Fabias. 

Annnnndddd, SDI with Bosch pump? (somebody PLEASE correct me if im wrong :D) I think can be run on veggie oil..... if that's your sort of thing :D

Josh

Can deffo be run on cherry :) the tdi pd engine won't run on it as it blocks the injectors I'm sure I got told.

I have done many miles in Sdi Skodas, the Octavia's were a lot smoother than the 90 and 110 tdi's although of course less powerful, but acceptable. The Fabia Sdi's were quite a nice tool, reasonable refinement and really good economy.

If you buy with your eyes open and don't expect vRS performance they are a wise buy and proving to be long lived too. The simplicity is a major factor in running one as well.

If I needed a commuting hack I'd be hunting for an Sdi Combi - probably comfort spec with a/c. There are an awful lot worse places to sit!