Columbus and Apple connection ...

Hi folks,

My vRS is getting built this week and all being well collected 1st April (no jokes!!).

I've spec'ed Columbus - can anyone tell me how this works in the car with regards connection iPod/iPad/iPhone ... ?

Presumably the car comes with the Mitsumi socket but I'll need to purchase a cable - correct ... ?

thanks, Steve

Columbus comes with the USB socket but you don't need mitsumi (you can't infact order it with columbus) it already has built in compatibility, you have the same functions as Mitsumi but just through the USB socket.

thanks Neily03.

So I can just use the normal white USB-Apple cable and all works ... ?

That's what other owners have posted on here.  I don't have columbus myself.

I have Columbus and only got USB and AUX socket despite being able to order Mitsumi.  I can confirm that the USB socket works perfectly with my Iphone5 for playing music and phone using apple white cable, so no need for Mitsumi connection - wish someone had explained that at order point!!  Must admit dealership knew nothing about either.  I don't have an ipod or ipad so can't answer for those but expect them to work the same.

Hope that helps.

I have Columbus and only got USB and AUX socket despite being able to order Mitsumi.  I can confirm that the USB socket works perfectly with my Iphone5 for playing music and phone using apple white cable, so no need for Mitsumi connection - wish someone had explained that at order point!!  Must admit dealership knew nothing about either.  I don't have an ipod or ipad so can't answer for those but expect them to work the same.

Hope that helps.

You can't order Mitsumi with Columbus, it says so in the brochure, and also explains why.

Neily03 - Somehow my dealer (back in August 2013) put Mitsumi and Columbus through and I paid for both too - no feedback from Factory or comms about not needing them - I must admit back then I was confused by whether you needed them both and didn't get an answer.  Only when car delivered in January and didn't come with Mitsumi did I question it and still didn't get a straight answer from dealer who also said they wouldn't pay back my £100.  However that worked out in my favour as they didn't charge me for changing paint colour from Red to Rallye Green.

Maybe I just missed it in the brochure but worked out in the end.

Neily03 - Somehow my dealer (back in August 2013) put Mitsumi and Columbus through and I paid for both too - no feedback from Factory or comms about not needing them - I must admit back then I was confused by whether you needed them both and didn't get an answer.  Only when car delivered in January and didn't come with Mitsumi did I question it and still didn't get a straight answer from dealer who also said they wouldn't pay back my £100.  However that worked out in my favour as they didn't charge me for changing paint colour from Red to Rallye Green.

Maybe I just missed it in the brochure but worked out in the end.

I'd be speaking to SUK about that, they've charged you for an option that can't be fitted and refuse to give you the money back?  Don't you about you but i'd call that theft.

Exactly, use bluetooth, USB or AUX connect instead 

You can use bluetooth and Aux with an Apple device but the need Mitsumi and an Apple Device for full integration.

Well known incompatibility issue : ANDROID for GEEKS, APPLE_iOS for GIRLS

Real Skoda drivers are GEEKS... Ha  :rofl:

A perfectly sensible thread, derailed by an android owning muppet.

Thanks

• Like 3

I have colombus in mine. Works either with Bluetooth or the USB cable with my iPhone 5s.

The only problem I have found with the cable connection is that it doesn't want to play content from 3rd party apps. For example I use the audible app to listen to audiobooks and this doesn't work through the cable connection. It keeps defaulting back to to my music library. It works fine over Bluetooth.

I can see this being a bit annoying when my phone is low on charge. I haven't played around with it much yet (only got the car on Tuesday) so still hopeful I will figure out a solution.

I just use the Blutooth with my iphone 5... Works fine and I'm impressed with the sound quality. When I receive a phone call it's all sorted via the maxidot (answer, reject, listen to music etc), I didn't order the mitsumi as I had it on my Fabia Vrs and found it 'clunky' to use and go through the playlists etc.

All in all the Blutooth for me, which came as standard, is by far superior for my needs. I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket to connect it, make calls and listen to music!!!