Grind , squeal, rattle

CitigoAllen

After just about 6 montha and 5120 miles my Citigo broke down yesterday with a horrible metallic grinding, accompanied by squealing and rattling noises.  This happened on the M2 into Belfast.  Had to wait for some time for the RAC to pick it up, and now it is back with the dealer, and I am stuck in a basic SE model.  I wonder what has gone wrong.

It was not the engine, which continued to run, there were no noises when running in neutral.  Fairly sure it is the gear box or clutch, but the noise was so alarming I really did not want to keep the car running.  The RAC were of the same opinion.

+ 1

Hope it is sorted quickly and doesn't take the edge off a great little car, will be back with you soon I am sure.

Could be as simple as a small grit/stone jammed in the front brakes...

???

Certainly had this on my Fabias, and can sound horrible. Reversing has always dislodged them.

Funnily enough never had it on any other car in over 40 years, mind the early ones had drums on the front!

Funnily enough, I had this with the Rio last month, thought the diff had partially stripped a cog. Limped the few yards to home from where it happened, turning offside wheel by hand showed nasty grind running forward, nothing running rearward. Took wheel of to find half inch piece of road chipping between calliper and disc hat. Relief!

Edited by Chris GB

Sounded familiar noise my old Nissan Primera used to make when stone chips were wedged in the front brakes. I used to hate going near those newly laid road surfaces were they chucked the grit down, a night mare, and always some got into the brakes.

The Nissan dealer said it was a problem with the model, they had loads of them in to sort it, lucky to get away with lightly scored discs at best, apart from that it was a brill car.

Yes, the old stone chipping caught in the break again, had this loads over the years, usually find jamming on the breaks releases it.

Mind you, i once got a polysterene cheesburger box wedged in the wheel of a Vauxhall Astra once, it was on fire by the time i stopped!