creaking suspension

Sol ive got a creaking sound coming from my fronts suspension. When I turn at slow speeds it creaks and at up to 25mph on normal roads it makes knocking noises.

Is this a sign of shagged top mounts? They'll be replaced at the end of the month anyway, but would like to know theyre a necessity.

On joms if that helps

chris

Mine makes a weird rumbly knocking sound from suspension, my mate reckons its just the cheap joms. Gona try and save for APs as noise drives me demented.

I've just changed my anti roll bar links & track rods as I had a knocking noise whenever I went over any type of bump. It was driving me nuts!

It cured the knocking but I'm changing my shocks soon so I'll change the top mounts along with them, have you changed your console bushes?

I have a click from the front right of my car when I take off from a stop or junction.  Driving me bloody nuts.  I managed to get rid of all the other multiple clunks, clangs, rattles and bangs but the 'click' (sometimes more of a quiet clunk) has me stumped.  The only thing I haven't changed is the shocks and springs and the ARB bushes haven't been changed in about 2 years.  Other than that everything else is new.

We had my car on a 4 post lift 4 times last night, at one stage we found 5 bolts which had at some stage loosened very slightly at various points on the consoles and subframe.  We were convinced we had it sussed but the click is still there.  I may have one more attempt at getting to it as I know one of the dogbone mount bushes had the threads damaged before I got the car on the rear gearbox bolt.  I might drill it out and put a larget bolt in.

Here's how I can replicate the click every single time.

My dad's garage has a 3 - 4" lip/step at the main door.

I can drive the car up to the lip at slow speed and let the car bump up onto the edge of the lip and roll back down off it.

When the car rolls back about 1-2 feet away from the lip the click appears.

Sounds like someone tapping the subframe lightly once with a small hammer.

I have a click from the front right of my car when I take off from a stop or junction.  Driving me bloody nuts.  I managed to get rid of all the other multiple clunks, clangs, rattles and bangs but the 'click' (sometimes more of a quiet clunk) has me stumped.  The only thing I haven't changed is the shocks and springs and the ARB bushes haven't been changed in about 2 years.  Other than that everything else is new.

We had my car on a 4 post lift 4 times last night, at one stage we found 5 bolts which had at some stage loosened very slightly at various points on the consoles and subframe.  We were convinced we had it sussed but the click is still there.  I may have one more attempt at getting to it as I know one of the dogbone mount bushes had the threads damaged before I got the car on the rear gearbox bolt.  I might drill it out and put a larget bolt in.

I can drive the car up to the lip at slow speed and let the car bump up onto the edge of the lip and roll back down off it.

I had this problem, turned out to be the CV joint randomly. It only happened sometimes, any repetitive problem like that really ****es me off lol.

New CV fitted last week.  The old CV was actually still driveable and intact but was showing a bit of wear.  I just changed it for piece of mind.

It's mental that we have the click which is so constant and consistent and we still can't find it.

New CV fitted last week.  The old CV was actually still driveable and intact but was showing a bit of wear.  I just changed it for piece of mind.

It's mental that we have the click which is so constant and consistent and we still can't find it.

I won't hijack the OP's thread, I've PM'd you.

To the OP.  Joms are well known for loosening the top cap to cause knocking but it can be retightened.

Here's what I fitted on my car to get rid of all the knocks and rattles so these are worth checking too.

CV joints

New wishbones

Cupra R rear console bushes.

Poly front wishbone bushes

new ball joints

new track rod ends

Gearbox/dogbone mount

New main engine mounts

ARB bushes

Droplinks (twice as the old design was crap, hope the new ones are better)

Top mount and bearing on passenger's side.

I only have the solitary click left to suss out. (which is a minor thing compared to what the car used to be like).

I'm going to replace the rear axel bushes and probably the suspension at some stage too because I'm fussy but other than that it's reasonably solid now.

Sol ive got a creaking sound coming from my fronts suspension. When I turn at slow speeds it creaks and at up to 25mph on normal roads it makes knocking noises.

Is this a sign of shagged top mounts? They'll be replaced at the end of the month anyway, but would like to know theyre a necessity.

On joms if that helps

chris

Just seen that you mentioned you've got JOM's, I've had these before on a Golf I purchased with them on. The seals went and all the oil leaked from them which meant no damping causing a knocking noise. Also worth checking for leaks around the seals as JOM's are not renowned for quality.

• Like 1

Isn't that normally more of a clicking/knocking type sound??

Usually knocking, which is what he said is one of the symptoms. I recently did some on an Astra which were also creaking when the steering was turned because all the grease had dried out of them. The owner thought it was strut top mounts (and so did I at first), until I investigated further. 

As others have said though, could be various other things causing it too.

Just a thought but have you checked that the 18mm wishbone pivot bolts are tight enough? I had a very similar noise and that's what was causing it. 

Yes they were torqued to spec and then given an extra half turn just to make sure.  The only suspicion I have over that bolt is that the hole in the subframe which it goes through may have got mis-shapen and there's a chance that the bolt may be able to just move a tiny amount.  I might just put a camera under the car at some stage to check it.  An alternaive method to fixing it would be a tack weld on the bolt to the subframe.

If I do discover that's the problem i'll weld a washer onto the subframe so the hole is round again.

Just seen that you mentioned you've got JOM's, I've had these before on a Golf I purchased with them on. The seals went and all the oil leaked from them which meant no damping causing a knocking noise. Also worth checking for leaks around the seals as JOM's are not renowned for quality.

these have done a year or two and were pretty used when i got them, so it wouldnt suprise me that that is the case

To the OP.  Joms are well known for loosening the top cap to cause knocking but it can be retightened.

Here's what I fitted on my car to get rid of all the knocks and rattles so these are worth checking too.

CV joints

New wishbones

Cupra R rear console bushes.

Poly front wishbone bushes

new ball joints

new track rod ends

Gearbox/dogbone mount

New main engine mounts

ARB bushes

Droplinks (twice as the old design was crap, hope the new ones are better)

Top mount and bearing on passenger's side.

I only have the solitary click left to suss out. (which is a minor thing compared to what the car used to be like).

I'm going to replace the rear axel bushes and probably the suspension at some stage too because I'm fussy but other than that it's reasonably solid now.

How do you fix the top cap on joms?

Thanks