finally I get my . jungle green 2.0d elegance

etivman

Indeed I saw speculation, when the change was announced, that it might take longer/much longer to do exactly what you wanted to do.

Do you have suggestions / observations that would benefit others doing the same? 

What actually happens now then?....if it takes 4 weeks, what, in practice, takes place when you do a px and order a car that takes a month or so to arrive - and then takes a month for the plate to be sorted?

Yes I found out the hard way, by driving to very wet Maidstone dvla office to put my retension cert plate on the new yeti, whilst waiting for it to stop chucking it down, walking by me was a very rare and wet female traffic warden, who said don't bother to feed the meter, that office has been closed since November..   Go on line to dvla look at list of car tax etc   Each dept now has different post codes for each subject.   just send all ness paperwork to them, done.   My new log book complete with my reg on took around 1 week, tax arrived week later.   But when log book came back, there were not any instructions has when I could put my plate on?  but what the heck, on it went. :devil:

Probably best albeit more expensive to put a cherished plate on retention before the due collection and get the new car registered as normal, particularly now they have foolishly closed the DVLA offices. Be in a right pickle if Wales follows Scotland on the independence trail :giggle:

TP

• Like 3

Probably best albeit more expensive to put a cherished plate on retention before the due collection and get the new car registered as normal.

TP

This is exactly what Rainworth Skoda advised me to do.

Which means I will run around with the 63 plate for the rest of the years and then in a panic next December put my private plate on. Wonder if it will make her feel new again? :rofl:

Edited by Andy831

the dealer made a mistake when first sending it all away . so that took 8 or 9 days alone . :wall: on the resubmit it took 2 weeks and they had to call Swansea  then yesterday afternoon it arrived  :blush: the dealer didn't charge me the £80 transfer fee as the mucked up the first ...... but in the end if i put a normal plate on it it will be a 14  :sun:

loving the car but the dam km speed reading is driving me mad in the display...... :devil: any fix for that .....

Edited by etivman

My plates went on when I bought the car new.  This mean't that all the registration paperwork and insurance and breakdown cover relates to the personal plate.  So to put the plate on retention prior to px'ing for a another new car would presumably mean changing the vehicle insurance (and giving them their administration fee for this change in addition to their admin fee when the new car arrives) plus telling the breakdown people plus the purchased extended warranty people (CSMA) plus buying new  plates and fitting them as well as the actual application to DVLA and hoping they didn't take a month to do it (as per the example given above).

I would have hoped that by going to the dealer and giving them my old car and collecting a new one having had them deal with the registration details would just leave me to inform the insurer of the new car reg (and giving them just the one fee) and, maybe suspending the CSMA warranty.  By getting the dealer to take your old car and getting a new one I would have expected it to be more convenient but more expensive than selling privately and getting a cash discount on the new car but at this rate I might as well do the latter and save a few bob by not px'ing.

the dealer made a mistake when first sending it all away . so that took 8 or 9 days alone . :wall: on the resubmit it took 2 weeks and they had to call Swansea  then yesterday afternoon it arrived  :blush: the dealer didn't charge me the £80 transfer fee as the mucked up the first ...... but in the end if i put a normal plate on it it will be a 14  :sun:

loving the car but the dam km seed reading is driving me mad in the display...... :devil: any fix for that .....

The KPH readout can be changed but only by a vcds user. Not a dealer. It involves telling the car electronics that it is in fact in Australia

Regarding personal plate swop. 

2 Options:

1) Agree with TP that best to put on retention yourself prior to p/exing, then do the transfer yourself at your leisure - cost £105 (BTW, can never work out why this charge has not been increased for at least 25 years).

2) Let the dealer do it (at your peril) and wait around 3/4 weeks for DVLA to deal with (at their leisure) - cost £80.

I prefer option 1 - then I am in control.

• Like 1

The KPH readout can be changed but only by a vcds user. Not a dealer. It involves telling the car electronics that it is in fact in Australia

Or buy an Octy III that has a proper speedo with both mph and km printed on it, plus a speed readout in the maxidot that can be changed to either from the infomat system ;) 

Will get my coat :giggle:

TP

Interesting (and worrying) comments on moving personalised plates to a new vehicle! 

So you put your existing registration into retention, then in due course pass the V778 retention document to the dealer so that the personalised plates can go onto the new car.  Is that a quick process for the dealer (as an ordinary registration would be)?  Or does it involve delay between the dealer and DVLA?

I followed the advice from Allams and applied for a retention certifite for my TIBET plate about 6 weeks before collection was due.

The retention certificate, V5 and tax disc all came through from DVLA within 2 weeks. On top of the £105 fee was a £20 insurance admin fee and the cost of new plates from Halfords (£30).

I dropped off the retention certificate at Allams and it didn't cause any problems or delay getting the TIBET registration on the new Yeti in time for collection. I heard that now DVLA may insist on the 'donor' vehicle being inspected to insure it was legit.

[Many years ago, a BMW dealer had their MOT station certificate pulled when they were buying scrap cars, giving them a fictitious MOT and then transferring the pre-suffix registrations to their secondhand stock as private plates to up the value...]

I suppose what I'm really wondering is whether the V778 enables the dealer to register the car with the 'old' plates immediately, or whether there's any kind of postal delay.

Edited by docc

I suppose what I'm really wondering is whether the V778 enables the dealer to register the car with the 'old' plates immediately, or whether there's any kind of postal delay.

The retention certificate enables dealer to register new car from day 1 with the personal plate - no delay, as done there and then.

Your reference to "old" plates I assume means a current new 14 plate. The new car never gets registered with that in the first place.

Hope that explains.

• Like 2

Good to know about the plate issue, as I was pondering whether to get mine assigned from the start.

Think that's what I'll do then. As has been said, saves changing insurance details etc again, a few weeks down the line.

Just to add to the number plate issue.

Always make sure you make copies of everything before posting to DVLA, and give dealer a set of copies as well. I always post mine Royal Mail Guaranteed next day delivery for peace of mind (cost around £6).