Amundsen+ installation in mark II vrs need a bit of help

Hope someone can help. I just acquired an Amundsen+ sat nav unit and want to put it in my mark II 2008 octavia vrs. What do I need to do this? I presume there is a plate I can buy somewhere that frames it as it's a bit smaller on the right and left. At the moment I have a stream mp3 unit. Any tips or help for taking the stream out and what I need to get the Amundsen+ in? This is probably covered in another thread, surely a lot of people have done this?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jazzycian

I found a few threads talking about this already. So my big question is does anyone know where to buy the fascia? Searched on eBay but they only seem to have up to 2007 models. Mine was first registered in April 2008 so I suppose it could be a 2007 model?

Found this place through reading through a few threads. Out of any of these fascias which one would do me?

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-II/04-08-Dash-plates/

I think this is the one I need, anyone any experience with this?

http://www.superskoda.com/octavia-ii/interior/skoda-octavia-ii-dashboard-plate-for-mfd-2-3-climatronic-in-alu-look

Not sure because there are two there that are very similar. Also on the second link that I think is the one I need it says in the description that it is for a Nexus or Columbus navi, doesn't say anything about Amundsen+. So is the Columbus and Nexus the same size as the Amundsen+?

This is my radio at the moment

20140309_152623.jpg

And this is the Amundsen+ I got for it.

20140307_161531.jpg

20140308_012606.jpg

Edited by jazzycian

Amundsen is same size as columbus/nexus yes.

Great stuff. Thanks very much. Its a UK import into Ireland I have so I wont be fitting it until after I pay the VRT import taxes so I dont get charged for it as an extra. Anyone done this before? Do the rear parking sensors still work and are they represented graphically on the unit? Also I have the Aux connection under the arm rest, will this also still work along with the aux on the front of the unit?

Anyone gone from Stream mp3 to Amundsen+ and knows what works and what doesnt?

I got my fascia from the dealer: about £7.50

On the Amundsen you will lose the parking display (but not the beeps) and the climate control display (not a great loss as it only replicates what is 4 inches below anyway)

The Aux should still work, if not, a bit of VCDS coding should sort that, long with the CD-changer (if needed)

If you have a round black plug on the Amundsen, then you have the DAB model. DAB aerial is about £20 from dabonwheels.

If you have a MAC address on the side (looks like 01-23-45-67-89-ab   or   01:23:45:67:89:ab), then you have bluetooth: you'll need a microphone to complete the setup. (Give Eddie-NL a squeeze, see if he still has any)

If you have a large rectangular connector, then you can (with a bit of time, sweat and money) fit a reverse view camera, which trumps the parking display anyway.

Most people put their GPS receiver in the gap under the top storage box (just pulls out)

To remove the fascia, open the ashtray, put your hand in the top (fingers upwards) feel for the lip, grasp and with a gentle, but firm action, pull. It's only held in with clips (no screws). You'll need a T20 torx screwdriver to undo the 4 screws holding the Stream in place. On the Stream they are under covers located in the corners. You can install the Amundsen and use the original fascia as they don't "connect" in any way, it looks a little odd, but at least you get your new toy to play with.

Don't worry about the code for the Stream, when you put it back in, it will remember that it's been in this car before.

• Like 2

I got my fascia from the dealer: about £7.50

On the Amundsen you will lose the parking display (but not the beeps) and the climate control display (not a great loss as it only replicates what is 4 inches below anyway)

The Aux should still work, if not, a bit of VCDS coding should sort that, long with the CD-changer (if needed)

If you have a round black plug on the Amundsen, then you have the DAB model. DAB aerial is about £20 from dabonwheels.

If you have a MAC address on the side (looks like 01-23-45-67-89-ab   or   01:23:45:67:89:ab), then you have bluetooth: you'll need a microphone to complete the setup. (Give Eddie-NL a squeeze, see if he still has any)

If you have a large rectangular connector, then you can (with a bit of time, sweat and money) fit a reverse view camera, which trumps the parking display anyway.

Most people put their GPS receiver in the gap under the top storage box (just pulls out)

To remove the fascia, open the ashtray, put your hand in the top (fingers upwards) feel for the lip, grasp and with a gentle, but firm action, pull. It's only held in with clips (no screws). You'll need a T20 torx screwdriver to undo the 4 screws holding the Stream in place. On the Stream they are under covers located in the corners. You can install the Amundsen and use the original fascia as they don't "connect" in any way, it looks a little odd, but at least you get your new toy to play with.

Don't worry about the code for the Stream, when you put it back in, it will remember that it's been in this car before.

Thats a very helpful reply, thanks. Is there no way to code the radio so the reverse sensors show graphically on the amundsen? 

20140310_215254.jpg

20140310_215328.jpg

I have the mac address so the bluetooth is there. Big rectangular connection also so a reversing camera will be a little project down the line. No DAB by the look of it, no black round connection. So you think the both AUX connections will work perhaps with coding? Would be nice if the one under the armrest still works, be a bit neater than hanging a cable out the front of the unit. Will ring a Skoda dealer and find out how much they want for a fascia. Also can I get the coding done at a dealer or is it the kind of thing you can get done anywhere? Im in Ireland so not sure about where to get it done except the dealers.

Thanks again for your reply, very helpful and infomative.

The parking sensors aren't a coding issue, sadly. They are of a different type to what Amundsen is looking for, so you'd need to do a retrofit. A couple of people have done it. Personally if you're doing the camera, I'd question the need for graphical display as well, but that's personal choice.

Thinking about it, I can't remember if the Aux port was coded via VCDS or just activated through one of the Amundsen's menus. I have to admit, I've not used the Aux port since I changed from the Stream. It's all on an SD-card

Yes, that's the camera port. There are several cameras available: ones that come with numberplate light, Audi A1 for the release handle or you can get a standalone and fix it where-ever you choose.

Yes, no DAB.

Yes, bluetooth. The OEM mic fits into the little grille up by the interior lights, so there'll be some trim-popping involved in running the cable. Easy to do.

• Like 1

Been looking for an Amundsen+ for a while. The models with bluetooth are quite hard to find either becuase the seller gives no information or don't include a picture of the sticker.

Phil

I got mine from eBay for £280, with code, DAB and BT. It was the unit's 2nd time around as it didn't sell the previous week at £310

Sometimes it is "right place right time".

However, mine is a SEAT branded RNS315. The only difference is red buttons, red menus and a SEAT startup screen.

However, mine is a SEAT branded RNS315. The only difference is red buttons, red menus and a SEAT startup screen.

No! My OCD won't allow it... needs to be a Skoda green one ;)

Phil

• Like 1

If it's not rude, how much did you get this for? I was looking for one a while ago for my '58 before I settled on a Bolero which I'm happy with.

Not rude at all. I got it in a breakers yard near me. 200 euro is all it cost which is pretty good I think. The car it came out of is in a bad way

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/2012-skoda-octavia-vrs-tdi-breaking/4331234

OTA3NjEzNWM0NjU1ZjZmMmM4YmEzOWY4Yjc1ZWM1

Was looking at the car in the yard, the structure of the car held up pretty well. The guy walked out of it.

The parking sensors aren't a coding issue, sadly. They are of a different type to what Amundsen is looking for, so you'd need to do a retrofit. A couple of people have done it. Personally if you're doing the camera, I'd question the need for graphical display as well, but that's personal choice.

Thinking about it, I can't remember if the Aux port was coded via VCDS or just activated through one of the Amundsen's menus. I have to admit, I've not used the Aux port since I changed from the Stream. It's all on an SD-card

Yes, that's the camera port. There are several cameras available: ones that come with numberplate light, Audi A1 for the release handle or you can get a standalone and fix it where-ever you choose.

Yes, no DAB.

Yes, bluetooth. The OEM mic fits into the little grille up by the interior lights, so there'll be some trim-popping involved in running the cable. Easy to do.

Thanks, thats good info. Will go with a camera, probably the Audi A1 one. Also will get a mic. This makes the Nokia car kit that came fitted redundant now but its a bit tidier through the radio. As for the reverse graphic, I dont need it anyway. The beeps are enough, I dont think I have ever looked at the graphic for it on the stream. 

If I wanted to sell the stream, now I probably wont just incase, can I get the code for it somehow? Where and how would I get it? 

Edited by jazzycian

Did you get the code for the Amundsen? At a rough estimate, your unit was £170(ish), a nice score  on that. Even with £40 (about 48 euro)  to have a decode, that is still a nice price :) :)

I got my Stream code from my local dealer for the grand sum of (drum roll please).......................£0.00

Needed to take proof of ID and ownership though.

I previously had the Nokia CK7W kit when I had a Stream, they did work well together I thought.

Yes, the doner car does look somewhat knackered ;) ;)

The code for the Amundsen is scribbled on to the back in pen. Don't know how they had the code but hopefully it works and I don't need to pay more to get it up and running. Have to register the vrs in Ireland in a few weeks and get the Irish plates on it so will put the Amundsen in after that so I don't get caught for extras when paying the import tax.

Edited because I just rang a dealer about a fascia.

They hadn't a breeze what I was talking about, they had some fascia that would fit a bolero but couldn't tell me if it was the one that would suit the climatronic display. Would have to order it and take a chance. I'll be buying that one off superskoda I think to save time and hassle. 30 euro for it on superskoda, bit overpriced but not too bad. The guy on the phone also had a conversion kit for non skoda radios for 100 euro, madness.

Unless someone happens to have a skoda part number for it.

Edited by jazzycian

Sadly I couldn't find it. I thought I'd put the old trim in it. Found the old trim though :S

However this (or pokeing around in this site) might be of some use......

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-navigation-trim-2004-2008-31876

• Like 1

Sadly I couldn't find it. I thought I'd put the old trim in it. Found the old trim though :S

However this (or pokeing around in this site) might be of some use......

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-navigation-trim-2004-2008-31876

Very very nice, that's the job. I just bought this. Came in at roughly 16 or 17 euro with Sterling conversion charge and all that including shipping. Saved me a third at least off what I would have been paying there. Thanks, appreciate it.