Oil catch tank

Hi all, anyone had any experience of this type of catch can before? Looks like it should do a job and nice and discrete. Was £25 so not the end of the world if it is ****e.

20140311_185542_zpsfofl8sxa.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Brilliant, just out of interest though, what made you vent to atmosphere through the filter?

Brilliant, just out of interest though, what made you vent to atmosphere through the filter?

I did this to start with as this is what a lot of other people done to stop recirculating anything at all. But the baffle in the catch can isn't 100% efficient so I was still getting a slight oily vapor coming from the filter.

So now I just recirculate it again, like so.

9234517142_3b6738784f_b.jpg

I did this to start with as this is what a lot of other people done to stop recirculating anything at all. But the baffle in the catch can isn't 100% efficient so I was still getting a slight oily vapor coming from the filter.

Does recirculating it again significantly cut down the vapor being reintroduced to the intercooler, how often do you need to empty the catch can?

Black bit is metal and bottom is glass (doesn't appear to come apart) with a metal drain plug that screws in and out. Comes with the little clamp to secure it and two hose/jubilee clips. As you can see on the website you can specify various size connectors. This particular one has 19mm connectors.

You're going to be emptying that every 5 minutes. Also check if it has a filter in it. My CC looks very similar (but bigger) and is a filter for compressed air systems and the built in filter clogged up really quickly. So I removed it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

To be fair if I'm emptying it every 5 minutes I'd expect to be topping the engine oil up every 5 minutes which currently I'm not. It has a filter element but can't really tell what the material is that is used because it appears to be sealed.

Yes sorry that was garbage lol I'll see how it behaves anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained (even if I am £25 lighter) :-)

Check it a couple of days after you fit it, the filter element will likely make the oil and condensation form an emulsion mousse which will rapidly fill the cc. The more short journies you do the quicker it fills. But as the weather warms up the less condensation you will get.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I do a 160 mile commute nearly everyday so I will certainly keep my eye on it. Thanks for the advice.

I used to empty mine once a month when checked oil.

The design has changed slightly looking at yours, but the glass bowl should unscrew out of the metal top part ;)

Have you just covered your diesel pipes, or replaced them? :)

It looks a lot like one of these u3uradar.jpg

Whats the port size in the catch tank. On the air dryer above their 1/4bsp. I could fit whatever size fittings i want on there but the port size would still be 1/4 if that makes sense.

Yes the brass fittings are essentially adapters so it isn't a true 19mm port. Do you know if you can buy the sponge element bits separately?