'ALL WEATHER' TYRES

Paul_Bowden

We live in SW France, where the climate is roughly comparable with the Midlands/South of England, although the winters are usually milder and the summers significantly hotter.

We have been through the palaver of fitting winter tyres to our Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel (which is used for a long daily work commute across small rural roads) and, of course, the winter has turned out to be so mild that they probably weren't really necessary.

Before fitting new tyres to our 2WD Yeti 2.0 TDI CR 110 "Ambition" (which I think = UK "SE Plus"), I wondered whether anyone had any advice about - or, even better, any experience of - "all weather" tyres. The bulk of its annual mileage (not high: 12-15,000m) is probably done in good conditions - much of it in long runs the summer.

I'm reluctant to be swayed by our local 'professionals', 3 out of 4 (literally) of whom told me that I was bonkers to fit 4 winter tyres, when 2 would do; it's nice of them to want to save me money, but that wasn't what I understood the consensus to regard as safe (unless I misunderstood, in which case please correct me!)

Any advice or thoughts really welcome.

Two isn't safe. I know someone who did that and went off backwards on a corner in the snow.

And all tyres are some form of compromise, all seasons being exactly that. They wear less in summer at the cost of winter performance, but I've seen a lot of cars in countries where you have to have winters just leave them on all year around, in 30+ degree temperatures.

All the tyres on a car should have grip of a similar level.

In the situation you describe, such as all weather tyres in bad conditions, the front will go round a corner and the back won't.

This means you will experience oversteer which most people can't deal with and end up going backwards into a ditch/hedge.

• Like 1

I have the Vector 4Seasons on at the moment. I have yet to drive them in proper warm weather but I have been pleased with their performance through this mild and wet winter. They feel a bit more grippy in the cold but crucially they displace standing water like a hot knife through butter. They are 'snowflake' marked too, so would pass for winter tyres in those places that mandate them. I plan to keep them on the car until worn out.

• Like 1

Living in Greece (which I guess is quite close in terms of weather to the South of France), I have also fitted Vector 4Seasons as we rarely get the type of weather that would merit full-on winter tyres to be fitted. Additionally, even in winter temperatures are commonly above the 7oC mark where winters start performing better.

Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to test them on snow, as we have had a very mild winter this year, but I can also attest to their wet weather performance.

I am, however, planning on switching back to my old, part-worn summers in May or thereabout to get me through the summer, as temperatures are usually above 30oC (and often above 40oC) in the summer, and I am worried that the softer compound of the Vectors would not cope so well. The idea is to then go back to the Vectors as soon as we start having some rain and lower temperatures come October.

How brilliant Briskoda is (as if I didn't know already)!

I ask a question on arriving at work, check my email just after lunch and find 10 really interesting and useful replies!

Thanks you very much to those who have already responded:  I'm really grateful.

Any more thoughts also welcome.

• Like 1

This morning I had the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons fitted. I will let you know how i get on.

So just in time for all the rain ice and snow!  :sun:

One other observation: you can only rarely get the timing right with winters and summers / summer and winters. Last winter, I was just about bang on (I like to swap when the mornings get over 3c and daytimes are over 7c). This Tuesday, after a long bout of warm mildness, and grinding around at +9-10c on my studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta R winter tyres, I finally gave in and fitted the Uniroyal RainSport2s. And the forecast for Saturday is now 0c and snow. Hey ho. If you can live with the compromises, all season tyres could simply remove all of that nonsense.

I recently treated SWMBO to a set of Falken Euroall Season AS200 for Valentine's Day (I'm just a romantic at heart :love: ) as her Citroen C3's tyres were kinda low after 20k and it was due its MOT.  Drove it myself a couple of times in p***ing rain and surface water and was very impressed with the wet grip.  It's a relatively new tyre (first seen in 2013) but has good reviews already.  Got them for just under £45 each (185/65 R15) at tyreleader.co.uk and they were about 25% cheaper than the Vectors although rated very close to them.

I fitted Goodyear Vector 4Seasons to SWMBOs i10 15 months ago and they've done well so far**. Grip in last year's snow was excellent and they've been fine with all the rain we've had. As she only does 5000 miles a year it wasn't worth going down the winter/summer tyre route.

**With the exception of the horrendous potholes around here. One blowout and one trashed sidewall have meant two tyres have been replaced already :(

I have a 2WD Yeti 110 and replaced the original tyres with Vredestein Quattrac 3 all-season tyres 18 months ago. With the original tyres the traction control light flickered a lot in snowy conditions but the all-season tyres have been much better over the last 2 winters. They are slightly noisier in the summer but still seem to grip well. As has been said, you need to fit all four. There are videos on YouTube showing cars spinning off backwards on corners when only fitted with winter tryes on the front.

I am using Hankok optimo 4S in Germany, it works well in all conditions so far but i did not had the chance to test them on a snowy mountain B road, for around town snow there was no issues.

I got many warnings from my colleges to avoid 4S tires and i am happy i did not listen

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk