New turbo, more problems. Sick to ***** death. Any help appreciated.

Beard

Just got the car back after having a "new" turbo fitted yesterday and seemed fine on the way home, until I got up this morning and it now drives like a wet fish. Has nearly half the pull it had before and just seems to be a load of bark with no bite when you put the boot down. The back end of the car looks like somebody has took a can of black spray paint and blasted around the exhaust, up to the window, so it's kicking out some heavy black smoke. As soon as you take it higher in the revs, in comes limp mode until I restart the car and it goes back to 'normal'.

I've checked the boost hoses from the turbo, top and bottom and my untrained eye can't really see anything that looks untoward, other than there is quite a bit of oil around some of the joins on the bottom pipe.

There are no lights on the dash, but I did see something flicker red a couple times for a split second, then go off, so I don't know what it was.

Obviously I need to have it hooked up to get some codes, but I can't until next week. So I'm just looking for anything at all that I could try, or if you know what it could be even?

****ed off is an understatement.

It's an 05 vRS, remapped in the previous owners possession, so I don't know who's map it is.

Cheers

Just got the car back after having a "new" turbo fitted

, remapped in the current owners possession, so I don't know who's map it is.  

I am confused by these two statements, Firstly the quotation marks suggest something fishy about the turbo, and the second bit - are you not the current owner, so how do you now know what map it is??

• Like 3

I am confused by these two statements, Firstly the quotation marks suggest something fishy about the turbo, and the second bit - are you not the current owner, so how do you now know what map it is??

Oops, I meant previous owner, not current. wrote that out in a bit of a rage lol.

The turbo was replaced by the garage I bought the car from, at their expense, so I'm assuming it would have came from the breakers or something, so not actually new as such

Send it back, make them pay for it!

It's a pain in the arse because the garage is an hours drive away, and I also work stupid hours that don't allow me any flexibility. They had it over a week last time and I had no car for the time. Really stressing me out

I would be ringing them back as soon as they open to let them know you will be dropping the car off. Ask to see the receipts for the turbo whilst your at it.

I've checked the boost hoses from the turbo, top and bottom and my untrained eye can't really see anything that looks untoward, other than there is quite a bit of oil around some of the joins on the bottom pipe.

I would check again, did it look like fresh oil or old dried on?

I'd rule out a boost leak before you go taking it back. The pipes on the vRS are fairly bad for leaking to be fair.

You not know anyone with VCDS you can use? That would shed light if there are codes in the ECU and you can do a few diagnostics with it too.

I would check again, did it look like fresh oil or old dried on?

I'd rule out a boost leak before you go taking it back. The pipes on the vRS are fairly bad for leaking to be fair.

You not know anyone with VCDS you can use? That would shed light if there are codes in the ECU and you can do a few diagnostics with it too.

I couldn't see any blatantly loose pipes, apart from them having a bit of play they seem alright but I'm not exactly the best mechanical knowledge wise. The oil looks like fresh oil on top of old scabby oil on the bottom.

I've ordered a cable for vcds a few days ago by it hasn't turned up yet and I know somebody with a solus ultra but can't get it scanned till next week

Check all boost pipes from the turbo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the EGR valve, especially if you have excessive black smoke. It takes 10 minutes and will save you the hour long drive if that's the problem. 

Good Luck!

Simple answer........ Take it back 

If only it was that simple. Next time I buy a car it will be local. 

Anyway, got it looked at today on the lift and scanned too. Pipes still in tact and no codes coming up on diagnostics. 

Driving home it went into limp 3 times. Got stuck behind a coffin dodger doing 30 everywhere so overtook the first chance I got and it went into instant limp, then the good old engine management light came on. 

It's going back again to the dealer tomorrow. Oh joy

Definitely sounds like boost leak somwhere - I have a very similar issue. No loose connections but one if the boost pipes had slit. Can you hear a noticeable wooshing noise when you try and boot it?

Definitely sounds like boost leak somwhere - I have a very similar issue. No loose connections but one if the boost pipes had slit. Can you hear a noticeable wooshing noise when you try and boot it?

Yup, like I said its kind of all bark and no bite. Loads of induction/engine noise and very little power. 

I'm hoping they have just split a pipe or something when doing the turbo

Did the original turbo blow im guessing, its worth checking the boost pipe the goes from the turbo into the pancake pipe.

It has a tendancy to split anyway after a while, but its almost a guarantee to go if the turbo has popped.

Mine took a couple of days to split after i got it back from turbo replacement and you could see scoring from where the turbo blew.

Did it used to smoke when power wanted? Does it still bring the smoke?

If not its not putting the fuel in to match the boost. Mine did this until I cleaned my map sensor (new one on way), If i did a hard acceleration for a couple of seconds, initial puff then lack of smoke. If I tried it for more than 10 second it would go into limp mode.

I also had this problem when the connector/ adjuster for the variable veins on my turbo was not adjusted correctly ( by me  initially) and later but probably not if turbo new, when they were jammed when exhaust side sooted up.