Coilovers - worthwhile or not?

As a keen modder I'm always up for doing new things to my car.

I'm currently wondering weather it's worthwhile lowering my car on coilovers. What else do I need to consider?

New top mounts?

New control arms?

New bushes?

Is anyone else running coilovers on there Octy VRS? Is tyre wear more prone?

Has anyone got any pictures of there car on standard alloys with no spacers but with coilys. Is the arch gap completely gone?

Any problems? Tyres scrubbing on arches?

Pros & cons come at me!!!! :)

There are loads of us on coils on here, check a few build threads in the projects section. Some of us have different combinations of wheels (OE and aftermarket) and spacers. You shouldn't need new control arms or bushes unless they're shot. I had some TT top mounts fitted when my H&Rs were done. They're a bit firmer and mean the shock does the work it's supposed to do and is a bit more efficient as a result.

Haha! I will ;) but have to do a 1000miles a month so wanna do my research.

As for top mounts is that all that's recommended new top mounts and the coils nothing else needed? Best place to buy uprated top mounts from?

From my experience 4 wheel laser alligment is just alligning the backs to the fronts (tracking only). When i got the geometry done it took longer and i also got a before and after print out. Have never got a print out with 4 wheel laser allignment.

• Like 1

I was commuting 2000 miles a month on B14 coilovers and they were/are fine, but quite a firm ride. As a final note a lot of people upgrade the rarb as well, might be worth looking into that at the same time. I have only heard positive things about upgrading the rarb.

Okay! Some great replies. Thanks guys!

This might sound silly but I'm going more for looks than handling so I agree with the RARB but won't really serve me any purpose.

When it's comes to buying new top mounts and bearings .. Do I buy new VAG ones or aftermarket ones designed for coilies.

So many questions guys!

Sorry :/

Once I've bought the coilys, new top mounts and bearings ( which I'm yet to source ) do I then need shorter drop links aswell?

What about wheel spacers?

Once all this is answered I can then go and order them!

There are loads of us on coils on here, check a few build threads in the projects section. Some of us have different combinations of wheels (OE and aftermarket) and spacers. You shouldn't need new control arms or bushes unless they're shot. I had some TT top mounts fitted when my H&Rs were done. They're a bit firmer and mean the shock does the work it's supposed to do and is a bit more efficient as a result.

what he said.

shorter drop links are not required.  i had weitecs on the last car and bilstein and h&r coilovers on this one - stock drop links on both cars.

• Like 1

Looks like just the bearing. I'd get the complete top mount as sometimes the nuts spin in the mounts and get chewed up.

Euro car parts also sell O.E mounts at a good price. Look for lemforder

• Like 1

i got the spax rsx on mine (not vrs but 140), Bian is right the ride is firmer. the adjustable shocks are fun, set them soft most of the time but hard sometimes. i didn't change anything else when i changed mine.

i got stiffest whitelines rarb, couldnt be bothered with adjustable one. i did the rarb before the suspension and it changed the car drastically! for the better!

i was disappointed at how low the spax go at max drop tbh. they have a large range of adjustment as well. how much lower can droplinks take it?? :)

The pic is a bearing. Maybe best off ringing them.

I have the SKF bearings.