Tyre Noise!

My 1.2 TSI 86 SE is now 1600 miles old.

I like this car very much, but the only setback is road noise from the tyres.

My two previous fabia's had continentals fitted that were a little noisy BUT the latest one has Bridgestone Turanza's which are hellishly noisy and fatiguing, even at slow speed.

When you hit a patch of recent 'fine' tarmac the difference is amazing.  Would be interested to learn of others experiences with Vredestein or Michelin (which I am considering as replacements)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regardless of which tyre is fitted you will endure some noise as its a budget car , are the tyres over inflated ? Our Tarmac roads don't help either but the fabia will drone regardless as its soundproofing isn't adequate really where the Octavia is much better , the fabia is a cash cow so not built as well as the rest of the marque

Sorry not a proper answer to the question on Vredestein or Michelin

The likes of the Pirelli Zero Nero are quieter than the Dunlop Sport Maxx,

most obvious because they have slightly less tread on the road surface, are of a harder or different compound,

even with a pretty similar  tread pattern,

but basically the same as many other tyres which are quieter,  they are offering less friction and less traction.

Quieter tyres can often offer better fuel economy over noisier tyres, again because the are holding the road surface less,

that can be both in dry and wet at normal road speeds.

More ECO tyres are likely to be quieter basically, and not something i want,

Grip, grip when braking in the dry or wet & safe handling takes priority over noise for me.

george

• Like 3

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - enormously grippy tyre and rated at 67db (quiet) C Rating in the wet (respectable against other premium tyres)

Have your cake and eat it. (Within Reason)

• Like 2

2ndskoda, I too have the Turanza's on my 1.6 16v Tiptronic. Hellishly noisey and I'm about to change them for something quieter. My previous Skoda had the Continentals on which by comparison were hush puppies! So like you I am researching. We bought this 1.6 Estate with just 10k on the clock in pristine condition (it was like new). The tyres are the only fly in the ointment. But not for long.

Looking at my original post, apologies in that a mistake was made.

This should have read the first Skoda (09 plate) was on Continentals - the second  (61 plate) was on Dunlop Sp's. - and the latest (63 plate) on Bridgestone Turanza's.

ALSO - I should have also mentioned that the first was a three pot diesel (PD) 1.4 TDI

The second a 1.6 CR90 TDI

The latest a 1.2 Petrol TSI

These are cars with differing starting noise characteristics anyway.

I thank everyone for their comments so far, and particularly note Sparkly comments, and also Estate man's opinion of Bridgestones.

Would like to hear from anyone who has fitted Michelin Energy tyres, for their comments.

Many thanks

My SE has has the bridgestones on too. Im happy with how they perform, but they arent the quietest tyres.

Infact, iv had a look around before now at reviews on the tyres, and many of them say how noisey they are.

I certainly wont be replacing them with the same tyres again when these wear down.

So i too am interested to see what people recommend.

I wont want to sacrafice grip when i change, but would like quieter tyres that last well. I dont mind paying for top stuff, infact i prefer too.

Already spent £135 on my motorbike front tyre this week :( haha.

I am surprised that no one is admitting to using Michelin tyres on their Fabia's ??

Is this really the case?

I have had a further thought - on my first Fabia, I had mud-flaps fitted all round -  (not on the second and third cars) - I suppose this would also have some influence on road noise

Mine has factory mudflaps too. Had the same flaps on my last 1422cc 08 Fabia Estate (which had continentals on). Although it was a diesel, that first Skoda of mine was far quieter at cruise than my current 1.6 16v tiptronic due to the tyre noise these Turanza produce. Defo tyre noise. 

Otaylor, what bike ya got? 

• Like 1

Just an sv650s mate. I like to buy the best of everything i can afford though haha. Michelin pilot road 4 iv just put on.

You a bike man too? :).

I have to be careful how much i speak about bikes on here. Iv been told off a few times for going off topic to something i find more interesting haha.

If you're not averse to 'budget' tyres, try Barum - Continentals budget brand. I put a set on my mk1 1.4 16v after a recommendation on these forums and found them much quieter than the original Continentals. No difference in handling/grip that I could detect, but then I don't drive like I've nicked it, mostly.

Now have 1.2tsi 105 and will be fitting Barums when the Bridgestones have had it.

Oddlegs

If you're not averse to 'budget' tyres, try Barum - Continentals budget brand. I put a set on my mk1 1.4 16v after a recommendation on these forums and found them much quieter than the original Continentals. No difference in handling/grip that I could detect, but then I don't drive like I've nicked it, mostly.

Now have 1.2tsi 105 and will be fitting Barums when the Bridgestones have had it.

Oddlegs

I'm running Barum Bravuris 2's on my htp, having replaced the contis. Much quieter, much cheaper, similar grip, but softer sidewalls and they are wearing out quicker than the contis (think I'll get less than 20k even doing front to back, the contis lasted 27k). For the money though they are very good and have suited both sedate and progressive driving, I'd have another set on it next time if I don't try Rainsport 3's.

My father's car has Michelin Energy tyres on. With it being rear-wheel-drive, they're great fun because their grip is abysmal, so you get a lot of sideways action. They will also probably last for 100k miles, they really are THAT hard (their compound). They are quiet and (supposedly) improve fuel consumption, but their grip is terrible, so I would avoid at all costs!

I too have only good things to say about Barum tyres, have had them on a previous car. They are considered a budget brand, but they're worlds apart from the usual chinese stuff.

I am currently running Falken ZE914 tyres on my Fabia, a good tyre at a fair price, very pleased with them. Definitely quieter than the Turanzas they replaced.

Is the problem just with the rear wheels? What rear drive car has he got?

Its likely to be more powerful than a fabia if its a bmw, merc etc?

Maybe theyd be okay on a car which demands less?

When it comes to corners though, i do like it to grip haha.

It's an '08 Merc C180K. Trust me, they're really not a great tyre. If you also consider how expensive they are, they're not worth it at all.

For what it's worth, my mother has an '05 BMW 116i on Dunlop SP Sport 01 tyres, and it feels (on the same stretch of road) positively planted! They're both pretty even in terms of power and speed, since the Merc is automatic and the BMW a manual. It's not like the Merc is overpowering its driven wheels, or anything like that. These Michelins are just a sub-standard tyre when it comes to grip. For all I know, you may even get 5mpg more using them, but like you said, I agree that when going round corners, grip is a priority.

Edited by FAB59

Thanks for that. I was half considering them, but will avoid them now :).

I know michelins arent cheap, and i dont mind that if theyre good. Iv always had top spec michelins on my bike (even more important grip in the corners) and love them, so was eager to try the car tyres too.

A c180 isnt exactly the top engine. So id of thought these tyres would suit it.

I am surprised.I shall look elsewhere.

Thanks again :).

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at one of the tyre sales web sites, they list the tyre performance including noise rating.  For example:-

http://www.camskill.co.uk

My 2010 1.6 diesel has Bridgestone tyres and I agree the noise is terrible. But the grip is good and at 27000 miles they are wearing well.

The problem with the Fabia is that there is limited sound damping between the wheels and the rest of the chassis. So the road noise is transmitted through the chassis to the cab. Cars can have large rubber bushes in the radius arm mountings and on the upright mounts to absorb this noise. The problem is then that the supsensions wobbles about and the handling is poor. The Fabia has excellent handling as a result of the stiff supsension mounts.

Theres just too many to choose from haha.

They all of course claim to be the best, and theirs soo many manufacturers and soo many models.

Im glad im not due any yet, because its going to take me a week to read about them all when i am lol.

I had an old Saab 900 with shocking bad tyre noise - I changed the shocks and this improved quite a bit.  I don't know alot about suspension, but would anyone say getting a better suspension set up would help with tyre noise?

I'm running p-zeros on my fabia and they're not too bad. 

Bridgstone ER300 fitted to our Fabia 2 are the noisiest tyres I have ever encountered in 45 years by far. THey are also the only tyre that I would class as extremely dangerous to drive anywhere near snow/slush/ice. They also have pathetically high rolling resistance leading to shocking fuel economy and a hard ride. The only positive I can say is that they wear reasonably well (but not in the Michelin league). The Contis and Dunlops on the other cars are positively limo class in (noise and ride)comparison.

Next tyres will probably be Dunlop Bluemotion - euro rated as the quietest tyre.