Towball Height 4x4

Have just booked a detachable towbar to be fitted (by MDS Towbars) to my 63 Superb 170 4x4 Estate L & K. The fitter has told me that both Witter and Towsure have stated that the height of the detachable tow ball would be 510mm on the 4x4. As the recommended height for our Bailey caravan (and many other caravan’s) towbar is a maximum of 420mm how can this work?

We have a detachable tow bar on our 62 plate 4x4 estate and have no problems with the tow ball height towing a Bailey Unicorn caravan. We have the Westfalia fitted, and the towbar height is around 500. It's a great solid outfit

no difference between ride heights of 4x4 and 2wd Superb's - they run on the same chassis. 

that being said, a rough road pack with increased ride height is available, just not in the Uk! 

Al. 

We have a detachable tow bar on our 62 plate 4x4 estate and have no problems with the tow ball height towing a Bailey Unicorn caravan. We have the Westfalia fitted, and the towbar height is around 500. It's a great solid outfit

Inoffski - I have a similar outfit 2.0tdi 170bhp 4x4 estate with a S1 Unicorn Valencia. Just wondered if you could tell me what nose weight do you run it at?

Thanks in advance

Inoffski - I have a similar outfit 2.0tdi 170bhp 4x4 estate with a S1 Unicorn Valencia. Just wondered if you could tell me what nose weight do you run it at?

Thanks in advance

We try and run it at as near to 85kg as possible. Ours is the Almeria, so I think the nose weight is easier to achieve with the fridge freezer just to the rear of the axle. We tend to run with the front side lockers empty, and the awning (porch one) over the axle. It's usually a rock steady tow, only ever had one twitchy experience, coming up the M5 from Brecon, and I think that was down to a slow puncture on the car that we found a couple of days later

We too are running a similar outfit: 4x4 Estate, 170 Manual. Westfalia towbar. Unicorn II Vigo. We love it! My only niggle is the Milenco Aeros that fit the mirrors nicely, don't give a great view down the sides. What do you guys use? (sorry for the hijack!)