Service costs

Hi, just a little post for your information.

Last year I had a major service done on the GL2 at 40,000m. I supplied the Castrol edge (costco £23) and the bill came to £186. All the filters got done including fuel.

I have just booked her in for a minor service which is oil only. Again I am supplying the oil but the price is £60.48 all in. Not bad for a main dealer. They charge £40 for the oil so worth sourcing yourself.

This is on the south coast, near Chichester.

Kind regards,

Ed

Edward757,  

is that service a 'minor' 10,000 mile.

Are you on annual/fixed servicing but using Long Life Oil. Or they are quoting on that?

Fixed servicing vw 502 oil @ £26-£30 is expensive enough at dealers,

i take it any dealer taking £40 is charging for Long Life lll as required for Variable Servicing.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

they should be cheaper than this anyway.

Hi, yes it's fixed 10,000m servicing. Funnily enough they charge for a sump plug. I thought most big service centres use a suction hose to get the oil out.

Just because they charge for it doesnt mean you get it!

• Like 2

Being ex motor trade with 20 years experience I know the importance of getting a garage you can trust.

I still service my own - The systems are so basic that changing all the filers and oil takes an hour with the minimum of tools. So it only costs you the parts - Genuine service kits are cheap on the interwebs so its save save !

I always say if you have never done something before always look at youtube there are videos for most things including servicing cars - my mate believe or not taught himself to sail from youtube and now he enters competitions 

• Like 2

Oils and Fluids and visual checks of Air Filters etc are easy.

Its someone that knows looking at your brakes, steering components, suspension components that matter.

& not waiting for a MOT to have someone with experience and knowledge looking.

Oil & Filter Services and not Inspection Services are very basic,

even though some inspection/visual checks are done.

That is not 'Servicing and Maintenance', its just a Oil & Filter Minor Service.

Basic Vehicle Maintenance Evening classes are a good idea,

as is having someone trained or experienced showing you.

Checking the likes of Gators, Brake Pipes, Hoses, Bushes is rather important. & not just the tyre wall you see on the 

side with the wheel nuts etc.

• Like 1

Totally agree with all of that too. I left bangernomics after 9 years, last August, when I bought the GL2. I have spent many an hour, out in the sleet, in the dark, in the cold, jacking the 406 to find a cause for heavy vibration. Oil changes became a fine art. God bless the internet but I regularly broke the 'leave a day spare' rule and regretted it. There were many journeys to work that became adventures such as the mid exhaust section hanging down onto the road or wisps of smoke emerging from under the bonnet. The cars always got me to work. A great experience and I learnt a great deal. At the moment I plan to have them service her and I need to establish whether the warranty can be extended beyond three years. They can do the standard service and advise of worn parts that I will do myself such as brakes.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just back from a 60,000m major service(supplied own oil from costco) plus brake fluid and MOT. Happy to report that the total came to £165...plus £6 for a cake from tesco. Michelin energy savers fitted yesterday so all set for another 10,000m.

Previous dunlop sports managed 54,500m and brakes still have plenty left. What a car...

Hi there sorry for hi jacking the post.

Interesting read,when would you say it's not worth getting the service book stamped?

I have been fixing and servicing cars as a hobby for years ,but have been getting my 07 plate serviced by a garage because the misses wants to get the book stamped but I know I can save Money doing it myself.

So if I start servicing it myself do you think it would make a difference in resale value now .

Cheers

Of course it will, first thing I look at is for a fully stamped book. if the book is not stamped then I'd want to see VAT receipts from a garage at the very least. Without either, I would most likely walk away, or if its only recent history missing expect to negotiate a heavy discount so I could get the car serviced at a garage I trust.

Is the price you get for a 8 year old mk2 Fabia really going to be much less when it had dealer Servicing for the first 6 years. ?

Be that Private Sale or if a Dealer took it in Trade in, to send right off to Auction.

Considering the Dealer is taking £130 plus in year 7 & £200 plus in year 8 etc for doing the servicing.

So you either have a Keeper & DIY Service, or you are selling at 8 year old plus, and buyers might well buy on condition and your receipts and knowledge

rather than some Service Stamps for 'Minor' & 'Major' Services where they have no idea if the work really got done.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

A few years ago I sold our '98 bmw 540. She had full bmw history to 122,000m (back when the warranty could be extended indefinitely) and then diy maintenance up to 150,000m. The buyer was very happy with the diy bit as there was a stack of receipts, I gave a good talk on things I had done and he could see the packaging for all the genuine parts I had used. With the replacement car I plan to use land rover to service her up to when the warranty ends at just over 100,000m and then go diy. My fabia is going to come off warranty at three years so I will probably continue with skoda service until 100,000m and then go diy. Looks like a doodle to do. I may even invest in on of those vacuum oil extractors.

I serviced 520D recently - big service including front brake discs and pads. Saved £700 doing it myself. Over few years there's no chance the amount of savings doing DIY servicing would be reflected in potentially higher sale price if I paid through the nose for having it serviced at BMW garage and having the book full of BMW stamps. 

Brake pads are routinely replaced waaay too early by garages. Suspension elements are replaced unnecessarily - car drives perfectly fine yet you hear that half of the suspension has to be replaced as too much play in it. Still to see any figures/measurements backing this up. Rip off Britain I am affraid as charing north of £90/hr by a garage is simply immoral.

• Like 1

Full Dealer Service History with BMW will include the Big Service with the Fluids and Bulbs all being Changed.

The cost of the Big Service is often about the same cost of buying a 7 -8 year old Fabia.

Which is why High Mileage or just BMW's going out of Manufacturers Warranty are such good value, (Cheap), when the Owner never had

that very expensive Big Service done.

Independents can look after your German Prestige Vehicle perfectly well.

You just need to look out for the 'Much Cheapness' ones from Home DIY'ers not using the Correct Fluids & resetting the Service Indicator.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

All true and the dealers/industry love to make out how complex the cars are but the internet is a wonderful thing and you can quickly tell someone that has cared for their car. At the moment, to preserve the goodwill with regards to warranty issues I'll continue with main dealer as I haggle to a reasonable sum. If I get any gearbox, turbo or engine issues on the wife's range rover I am into big bills.

I have often come very close to getting a 520d...a wonderful car. The economics led me to the greenline but the 520d would be fantastic...my car has to offset the running cost of the rr...they are not as big as many imagine but £510 in ved and £210 pirellis still cost.

I would imagine I have saved a fortune doing diy stuff over the years. I tend to use the dealers to diagnose impending diy jobs like pads,etc.

It needs a 'Major Service'  (Inspection Service) if going by the Skoda Service Schedule, (Guidelines),  

so Oil & Filter, and Long Life if Variable Servicing or if you want on Fixed Servicing. & Pollen Filter. & the other checks. in the 40 point Health Check.

(& put On the VAS and any Software Updates or Enhancements done.)

A VW Dealership might do the Major Service for £249, & with Spark Plugs replaced if you request that, do it for £299. 

& you keep your Warranty OK with Skoda.

(They will do what Skoda Dealerships Workshops are supposed to do, and might do it with a bit more care and attention.)

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Well george took your advice rang vw. The same service is £188 longlife. And with plug change comes to £268. Booked it in for friday.they did say it needs an aircon regas and clean which is 60 but said no for now. Quite bit cheaper than skoda

Edited by walterwilson85
  • Like 1

Well I got a 60k service coming up,just contacted my local indie garage and they said £60+vat ANC might need the pollen filter doing at and extra £12.

Suppose I could do that for half price,I got a vacuum syphon as well is this the method they use?

Cheers