Should I say goodbye to my Level 3 TDI

I am at a crossroads

My 57 plate level 3 TDI has now done 48,000. I have serviced it every 6000 miles and it is bullet proof but the question is shall I say goodbye.

I originally fancied a Rapid SE1.6 TDI but got drunk the other week and bought an ocean kayak so my thinking has turned towards a Fabia estate SE 1.6 TDI which will be easy to mount the kayak.

Can anyone tell me about the 1.6tdi engine as I have been unable to find a videos of the engine on youtube (manufacturers training videos)

I had found a bargain at Simpsons but it got sold yesterday 62 reg 13236 miles £8500 = gutted

Sometimes better the devil you know.  costs must be low on the car you have, 

Do you need the roof bars that much further apart on an Estate, ( they are not that further anyway.) a Hatch does the job fine.

Kayaks hanging over the rear anyway, just tie that warning rag on.

You can have lots of adventures with the money saved not changing car.

have fun.

• Like 1

Its the 1.4TDI 3 cylinder beast

Costs are non existent as I service it myself - just don't know if its suitable for a kayak carrying roof rack ? 

The trouble we cause ourselves !!!!!!

Would love a set of Monte Carlo Alloys for it though

I dont think the estate is actually that much longer than the hatch though.

Only good thing is the estate has roof rails, but thats not the be all and end all.

Unless you fancy a change anyway, and can afford to change for something which isnt too much different, i wouldnt bother personally.

Iv no idea how big this kayak is though haha.

Who sells a Kayak to a drunk man?! Asking for trouble.....lol

To be honest sounds like you've got the itch to change. Once you start thinking about it it's only a matter of time! :-)

• Like 2

Keep your current Fabia. You've cared for it over the years and know it's going to serve you well.

Why risk getting a newer used one that you don't know about its past? What if it gives you trouble and you have to deal with the morons at the dealerships?

I can't tell you how happy I was when my warranty expired! I was literally ecstatic!!!

• Like 3

You just press the button,  'Buy Now'.

There should be breathalysers fitted to  home computers.

Haha yeah that's true. Don't know why but I had an image in my brain of him drunkenly staggering into the kayak shop and purchasing one, much to the amusement of the sales staff....!

• Like 1

My Monte, at about a month old, went to France and back with a roof box on.  Same bars as we had for the Octavia and Superb before it, just the fitting kit changed.  Halfords (or your local friendly Motorfactors) will sell you their own bars, or a Thule set for a bit more.

With a kayak on top, you don't need aero bars, which saves a few quid and I can lift the bars fitted with box off the roof with my wife, so no need to leave them on all the time to sap your economy.

EDIT: I won't lift off YOUR bars, I can lift off MY bars...just to clarify that.  Your personal manservant for roof bar removal, I am not!! :giggle:

Edited by PDIBK
  • Like 1

Thanks. for the replies 

The Fabia is a beast - I tend to do loads of preventive maintenance to her as well as regular servicing so I suppose you are right to stick with what you know.

SE spec is a bit poor, I love stuff like the Armrest

Would love to get Monte wheels though and Sat Nav to finish it off

THANK GOD, it"s not only me who buys stuff off ebay after a drink or two. [WELL DRUNK]  dont put the kayak back on ebay, cos i will probably have a bid on it, and how would i explain THAT to the wife.

• Like 2

If you fancy a private sale, I would be interested have been looking around for one, as long as its not yellow the only stipulation my wife and daughter have .

I would hang on to it - you'd have to pay a fair wedge of cash to get the same economy and specifications in a newer model. The fact that yours has done less than 50k in 6 years means you're probably doing mainly short journeys - potential DPF issues if you go for the 1.6 CR TDi. Your car has been very well maintained, the PD engine is renowned for trouble-free longevity, you can get 50 mpg without even trying, and with a level 3 spec car you've already got climate control, cruise control, nice comfy armrest, good seats, front fogs, and rear parking sensors. With all that, why change for an unknown car that is probably marginally less economical and that may well need DPF regeneration runs on a regular basis?

I have a level 3 1.9 PD that has been faultless for 6 years now - it's a trooper and a keeper.

• Like 1

DPF is really not the way forward, its like putting 4 thick socks up you exhaust which you cannot get out, 

I know that cutting emissions is a manufactures priority but how much further can we go before reliability is compromised even further, we have already seen how crap some ideas are that hit production and the cost of repairs that are massive for the potential owner, I am of the firm opinion if its not broke don't fix it (but maybe change it if its a wearing part just in case)

When I was the Service Manager / Warranty clerk for VW and Skoda I was amazed at the type of parts that would continually fail without a recall or tech note, It must cost the manufactures millions each year but as VAG reclaim this cost from the suppliers to which there are thousands as suppose it does not matter,

I do love my level 3 ! 

• Like 1