Estate Elegance Purchase advice

Hello

I am on the lookout for a Superb Estate Elegance trim with the 170 diesel and a manual box. Had a gander at the usual on line places and it seems I can pick up a decent sounding one with about 50K on the clock on a 60\61 plate for about 12-13k which is in budget.

What do I need to look out for when viewing and driving and if there are any really must have extras to keep an eye out for.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

If you're focused on the 170 with elegance spec you'll have all you need in a car!  What you normally find offered as 'extras' in a lot of cars will be standard.  Apart from the usual FSH etc nothing major to look out for as we've discussed on a few other threads on here.  Depending on the roads you are driving you may want to look for rough road package included (body protection, higher ground clearance) and the 18" wheels may not suit everyone - personally I find them fine and I do mixed driving.  No real recurring issues with the 170CR and its a proven engine at this stage with very good mpg.  Manual box is very good as well.

Happy searching!

You can't get the rough road package in the UK and its probably the biggest reason I've not gone for a Superb. Other than that, yeah, I wasn't looking at options as the Elegance had everything I'd want and more.

That's a pity you can't have the RR option there as the sheer size and rigidity of the car would lend itself to being a good option for those that needed to use it on poorer roads - or maybe our Irish roads are so bad that they have to offer it over here :happy:

Superbs aren't even run in at 50k..........

Check the service history thoroughly, check for the correct brake fluid changes.

Check all tyres thoroughly, the inner shoulders of the rears can wear badly and is easy to miss.

Check the battery is in good condition, some can get a bit tired after 3 years.

Bear in mind the cambelt must be changed at 4 years irrespective of mileage. An early 60 plate means a new cambelt in around 5 months time.

Check to ensure the radio reception is good, some early shark fin antennas could fail due to water ingress.

A spare wheel isn't standard so stick your head in the boot and see if the well is full of spare wheel or not. I never drive a car where I'm reliant on that useless tyre gunk.

As for spec, the Elegance has pretty much everything on it, the only naff thing about that model is the lack of a standard auto dimming interior mirror - until the recent facelift. Try and find one with a dimming mirror fitted.

Other than that, just make sure the gadgets and gizmos work correctly, chief among which:

Electric heated memory driver's seat.

Electric heated passenger seat

Folding mirrors

Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights ( the lamps should strike with a blue colour before warming up to a blue-white colour after no more than 10 seconds. Check both lamps are the same colour) The lights also self check when the engine is started.

The beams go right down, then swivel to the left and right simultaneously before coming back up to normal height. If this happens it means the self levelling and adaptive cornering lights are functioning correctly.

Climate control - dual zone

Columbus sat nav - complete with DVD player

Parking sensors.

These are all fairly reliable but worth testing.

And make sure the little removable (matchbox sized) LED torch is present, this can be found on the left hand side of the boot and doubles as an interior light. They can - and do - go missing.

There's an umbrella holder in the near side rear passenger door, My MY11 car missed out on the brolly. I'm not sure which cars got it and which didn't.

If the boot floor has two aluminium rails, it should also have 2 dividers and 4 adjustable fixing points - all of which can slide up and down the rails. These were standard on my car at least.

If you're looking at 170 Elegance, then why not look for a DSG rather than manual.

The 170 DSG is probably one of the most popular models so there will be plenty of choice, that said it also means that dealers don't need to sell at a loss.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice info - the roads are not that bad and I have the Landrover for winter duties.

As a Landrover owner I do have the mentality of all the toys mean more things to go wrong so I am going to have to be careful about checking all these electric things.

It had occurred to me that the cambelt would need doing very soon after purchase for a 2010 any idea what sort of costs am I looking at for that?

As for the DSG, after reading lots about the DSG I simply don't want the liability on an out of warranty car. The DSG sounds a great piece of kit but it does not seem to be quite there for reliability yet.

I see one of the mods on here may be selling his Superb estate as he put in on the for sale section - but a little more money than I was looking to spend but has even more toys (or stuff to go wrong - landrover thinking). 

Remember, websites like this and any other VAG related site, like everything only ever get to hear the bad things to do with DSG gearbox's or any other issue for that matter.... There will be hundred if not thousands of very happy people with reliable DSG gearbox's... 

They can't be that bad Bugatti Veyron use them http://www.bugatti.com/en/home/news.html?newsId=14 :)

OK I am biased as I specced the following to be fitted when I ordered mine and the reason why I chose them and the reason I left others untucked... the car was specced with no expense spared.

• Luna (6 spoke) alloys - The std Themisto’s have a polished face, which like ALL polished wheels will eventually get the ‘whiteworm’ appearing under the laquer, the Luna’s are also MUCH easier to clean... I also prefer the look of them, but that is all down to personal taste.
  • Electric tailgate - OK it was a dear option £500) but this is one of the best options I chose
  • Heated windscreen and washer nozzles - OK I lied about the tailgate ... the heated screen is equally as good  :giggle:
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror - this should have been a std fit IMO
  • 3 spoke leather steering wheel - much better feel and looking IMO
  • Park Assist - mainly a toy, but it’s great if you think the gap is too small (it is a big car after all) and the car tells you otherwise... it will get into a MUCH tighter gap than I would normally try to get into.
  • Sunset Glass - keeps the car cooler and looks nice IMO
  • Variable boot floor - essential if you ever need a flat load area, you can also store stuff under it out of sight, so unless you carry really large items you don’t actually loose any storage.
  • Škoda rubber boot mat - keeps the carpet nice and stops anything from sliding around (too much)
  • Wood decor - personal choice again... but I like it!
  • Spare wheel - a must IMO
  • Floor mats - wouldn’t have a car without them, but these can be bought from a dealer 
  • Mud flaps - they are not huge but they do keep the car cleaner.

Things I chose not to spec:

• DSG - Fine when under warranty, but I would hate to own one if I needed to pick up the £1,500 is the mechatronic unit failed. The demo car I drove was a DSG and it was jerky going into 1st and reverse.
  • Panoramic sunroof - I never opened the one in my last cars so I doubt this would have got used (I would not have ‘ordered’ it on the Yeti if it was not std fit on the L&K)

Yes the std Elegance is very well equipped as std but there are a few options that really should have been included out of the box, so it is very easy to add a few grands with of options to make it amazing rather than superb  :giggle:

Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights ( the lamps should strike with a blue colour before warming up to a blue-white colour after no more than 10 seconds. Check both lamps are the same colour) The lights also self check when the engine is started.

The beams go right down, then swivel to the left and right simultaneously before coming back up to normal height. If this happens it means the self levelling and adaptive cornering lights are functioning correctly.

There's an umbrella holder in the near side rear passenger door, My MY11 car missed out on the brolly. I'm not sure which cars got it and which didn't.

The xenons do not do their side to side check every time, worth bearing that in mind.

The umbrella was dropped for a few months a few times so it is a bit hit and miss what cars will have them, when I ordered mine it was in the brochure, it then got dropped  but by the time it was delivered it had been re-introduced (but both the umbrella and rear LED torch were missing... these were replaced by the dealer)

I thought the adaptive lights do the check at ignition on, whether the xenons are switched on or not. So if you switch the lights to auto after about 30 secs then you will have missed the little light dance.

I don't think the Veyron uses the same DSG as normal cars. Theres no way you can put that kind of torque through it.

I appreciate it will not be the same DSG, but it is the same technology and operation... :)

Here I go again about the damn timing belt..!

Here in Ireland, Skoda insist that it's due (with w/pump, rollers etc) at 180,000KM or 110,000miles with NO time limit ...

Just about to sit back with some popcorn to watch this episode of "Belt wars" :rock:

Hope this helps (honestly, I do) ...

Cheers,

Rob

We are the only ones in the UK that get the 4 year limit, make of that what you will!!

Made all the more strange as my car is imported from the UK. I gave Skoda IRL. my chassis number to be absolutely sure ...

Cheers,

Rob

Made all the more strange as my car is imported from the UK. I gave Skoda IRL. my chassis number to be absolutely sure ...

Cheers,

Rob

Yep my local guy confirmed this, he has changed quite a few on Audi's and says the belts show very little wear at 180.000km

• 3 months later...

Interestingly (to me anyway!) is the fact that the new models have this irritating stop start facility which presumably means that the belt is much more stressed than before as it is starting that causes the most stress.  I have turned mine off mind you - or I would if I could. I have to do it each time I start the car (unles anyone knows better?)

Interestingly (to me anyway!) is the fact that the new models have this irritating stop start facility which presumably means that the belt is much more stressed than before as it is starting that causes the most stress.  I have turned mine off mind you - or I would if I could. I have to do it each time I start the car (unles anyone knows better?)

It may be possible with VCDS, there is the option to unstick start stop, but I have not personally tried it to see if it works.