How To: Fit a Silicon TIP

Bowders1

Hi Folks another How to guide :rofl:

This guide is to replace a existing silicon TIP with the SFS oversize TIP but same process to remove std TIP for a Silicon one apart fro ma few points noted in this guide.

The  SFS oversize TIP (AH15/AIt flows loads more air than the stock part, and than any other silicon hose

This  took me around 2 hours as quite a bit more awkward  due to is thicker lower section to get onto the Turbo but nothing perseverance could not handle. The TIP generally does not come with hose clamps, so you'll have to  buy some. I should measure mine but I forgot a i already had a silicon TIP with hose clamps fitted. The std TIP uses those one time use clamps 

Tools required for the job: 

- ratchet 
- universal joint socket (for ratchet) and a few extensions
- 10 mm socket (for air box)
- 5mm and 8mm allen key socket (5mm for turbo lower snorkel if still got std TIP) and 8mm for coolant pipe
- Blanks (possibly for blanking the TIP holes if you have done some deletes / simplifications to vacuum hose etc) 
- Various Hose Clamps
- side cutters 
- Trolley jack and or ramps

Step 1 

Look at the work of art SFS TIP

2014-03-30165310_zps638662af.jpg

Step 2 

Remove your battery cover:

2014-03-30161344_zps26de1bdd.jpg

Unplug MAF sensor plug, then remove 2 x 10mm airbpox Bolts

2014-03-30161354_zps3a0522ac.jpg

2014-03-30161351_zpsb670717d.jpg

2014-03-30161348_zps7344d22f.jpg

Finally with a bit of jiggling you can slide your airbox out the way

2014-03-30161934_zpsfd406dae.jpg

Step 3 

Remove your DV, your N75 valve, and the air pump(PCV). All three of these are on the top of the air 
intake pipe You may have to snip off the original metal one-time-use ring clamps that Skoda originally installed.

2014-03-30161937_zps727977c1.jpg

2014-03-30162515_zps7359c571.jpg

Items removed and placed out the way

2014-03-30162524_zpsf50c2874.jpg

Step 4 - OPTIONAL 

You may or may not have to do this step but if you are fitting the oversize TIP i would recommend it to save further swearing and cut's. :rock:
Remove the 8mm allen nut that holds the coolant pipe to the engine block. This is quite hard to see as it is cover by other pipes and if you still have hardlines and SAI fitted (unlike me :rofl: ) even worse to get at/ This is where your universal joint socket and extension bars and socket wrench are needed. Yo could use a small mirror to see where you're going also.

By removing this nut, you can move / pull the coolant pipe outwards a bit (not a lot but enough so you'll have 
a bit more room to extract your old TIP and install the new one.)

Can just see the grubby allen bolt

2014-03-30162549_zps288baa37.jpg

And universal joint / socket 

2014-03-30174810_zpsfb94a1d8.jpg

Step 4 

Jack up your car or use ramps so the car is high enough so that you've got enough room to get 
underneath and work. You will need to get at the turbo side which is not a great deal of access. 

2014-03-30163833_zps3fdb7762.jpg

You'll have to remove the 5mm allen nut that's holding the stock metal section TIP to the turbo if still fitted. Not needed if you have a silicon TIP already fitted like me.
Again you'll also have to cut off one more ring clamp and remove the small vacuum hose from the stock TIP (don't forget to reattach this hose onto the new TIP!). Again mine was blanked off as was part of my engine bay clean up a simplification)

Step 6 

Right , pull your TIP out! Get underneath the car, and gently pull it away from the turbo. From the top of the car, 
you can gently wiggle it out. 

SFS TIP Alongside my removed old Autobahn88 TIP

2014-03-30165251_zps283e711b.jpg

Step 7 

Here's where the fun begins., the installation of the new TIP.  Slide the new TIP down from the top of the engine bay. Get underneath the car and wiggle it onto the turbo inlet (don't forget your hose clamp!). Make sure the TIP is 
fully on the turbo inlet! This may take a bit of wiggling just because it's a really tight fit. I had to work from underneath and on top to get hose to fit. I also used a flat screwdriver to carefully prize out the silicon hose around the turbo flange. 
From the engine bay, make sure that the new TIP is roughly in the right spot (ie. the hose points to where the 
airbox is going to go!). Get back underneath the car and tighten up the hose clamp around the turbo inlet,

Step 8 

Refit the airbox (reverse to removal!) and clamp down the SFS TIP to the MAF. I found that I had 
to slightly twist the TIP to get it to fit on my airbox. Once I got it on, I went back underneath the car and 
loosened the ring clamp on the turbo inlet. I then slightly adjusted the position of the TIP on the turbo inlet
so that the pipe wasn't twisting anymore (or as much!) then finally the airbox ring clamp was tightened up. 
Don't forget to re install your DV, n75 and PCV.
Also reconnect vacuum pipe(if fitted) and blank off any further holes on the TIP. 

I used these

2014-03-30170134_zps6eeca162.jpg

2014-03-30170129_zps75ef00c2.jpg

Tighten up all hose ring clamps to be sure and job done

2014-03-30172724_zps23ca514f.jpg

Admire new hose

2014-04-04190035_zps820cb0ce.jpg

oh I also found a spare spanner from a drop link change a month back lol...

2014-03-30173204_zpse3069b42.jpg

How that never dropped i don't know

Update - 06/04/2014

Purchased some colour coded hose blanks and fitted them to finish job off better

2014-04-04185906_zps7e297d55.jpg

2014-04-04185947_zps381234a1.jpg

2014-04-04185928_zpsfab1e829.jpg

Conclusion 

I also found the SFS hose was a little shorter than my old hose on fitting to MAF I found that my DV and n75 have slightly shifted their positions with the new pipe but no real issues. Also the DV and PCV are tight together.

My turbo spools up a bit quicker, and a  little more urgent low down. and I've noticed that boost delivery is smoother than before. Also car pulls nice on top end.

So all in all a great mod to do especially if you are gong from a std TIP and small snorkel :thumbup: 

• Like 2

Great guide - and love the stuck spanner, lol!!!

I lost my locking wheel nut key one day. Did some work on the car, piled all the tools back into the garage without putting them back in the toolbox, as one does when one is tired...

Two days later, I tidied all the tools away - then suddenly had one of those 'moments' where I thought - 'hmm, what did I do with the locking wheelnut key?????'

After much searching in the garage, it dawned on me what I had done. BUT.....I walked out to the car which I had been driving for two days, and amazingly....there, still stuck on the locking wheelnut - was the key. Amazing!!! How on earth did it stay there???!!!

Great guide - and love the stuck spanner, lol!!!

I lost my locking wheel nut key one day. Did some work on the car, piled all the tools back into the garage without putting them back in the toolbox, as one does when one is tired...

Two days later, I tidied all the tools away - then suddenly had one of those 'moments' where I thought - 'hmm, what did I do with the locking wheelnut key?????'

After much searching in the garage, it dawned on me what I had done. BUT.....I walked out to the car which I had been driving for two days, and amazingly....there, still stuck on the locking wheelnut - was the key. Amazing!!! How on earth did it stay there???!!!

lol

you were lucky mate

I have done that before and released after I had gone for a drive around local area to test car. I retraced the drive and found the locking key against a curb a half a mile away :rofl:  

people were wondering why i was driving like aunt daisy..

lol

you were lucky mate

I have done that before and released after I had gone for a drive around local area to test car. I retraced the drive and found the locking key against a curb a half a mile away :rofl:  

people were wondering why i was riving like aunt daisy..

Heheh, lol - glad I'm not the only one!

Well - we're all just human, right?! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the blanks for ?

Hi Dude I remember now.

I removed both of those when i did the EVAP and suction breather simplification

found here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221667-how-to-evap-and-vac-breather-lines-simplification/

you can see the green and pink section in the diagram below that lead to the TIP which are the item in the TIP i blanked

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification.jpg

The higher Blank removal is linked  to a hard line and then over cam cover and under inlet manifold to a small hose to to join  inlet "T" piece.

here:

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification1.jp

VRSOCCMod041.jpg

The lower Blank went from TIP to brake servo 

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification6.jp

If you follow my guide and check your pipe route you should be able to follow it.

cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

I've just installed my new tip cannot believe the size :-) did u find yours was rubbing on the engine a bit??? I'm using the standard air filter box an like u say its a tight reach but a bit of twisting an it goes on I was thinking of maybe wrapping part of mine in some heat wrap will this be ok?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

I've just installed my new tip cannot believe the size :-) did u find yours was rubbing on the engine a bit??? I'm using the standard air filter box an like u say its a tight reach but a bit of twisting an it goes on I was thinking of maybe wrapping part of mine in some heat wrap will this be ok?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

yeah heat wrap will work. You may find you can twist it in a more better direction. I did this too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bit of an old resurrection - but better than starting a new thread!

I'm buying one of these to fit to my 9n3 Polo GTi, did you find it fouled on the gear linkages at all?

Ta!

Bit of an old resurrection - but better than starting a new thread!

I'm buying one of these to fit to my 9n3 Polo GTi, did you find it fouled on the gear linkages at all?

Ta!

Hi buddy should go no where near the gear linkages. 

• 11 months later...

I have just removed the std TIP to replace it with a sfs oversized, i removed the pipe beside the turbo but there doesnt seem to be anywhere on the sfs pipe for this.

Im in the middle of doing this so any help wud be appreciated