Skoda Fabia Full size spare wheel speed restriction

This topic has been covered before and I agree with most respondents when they say "just take the 80Km/PH off". The best answer I have had is from my local tyre dealer who says, that in the event of a roadside tyre change you are unlikely to have a torque wrench to get to 140Nm. Hence the restriction. I now have 2 Fabias, 1 2010 and 1 2013. Both have 205/45/16s on alloys and 195/55/15 for the winter - which is the same as the full size steel spare.

It should be 120NM and its easily done with even the supplied wrench.

The limit is there because the tyre is not the same dimensions as the other one on the axle and possibly because it can be fitted with a directional tyre (because that's what they had in the spares bin at the time) and thus be the wrong way around.

There should be no problem if the tyre is the same size as the ones on the car.

The main reason for the warning is for cars that have bigger size wheels than the spare.

I'd suggest it's not butt covering. My wheels are alloys and I have over 40 years of car working DIY practice, from engine rebuilds /gearbox rebuilds to hydrolastic suspension work and brake re furbs. A couple of years ago, I needed new tyres and my SIL had a mate that could supply at cost.Daughter needed new as well, so we loaded mine into her boot and headed off. I fitted mine with the tool supplied and after a couple of days checked again ( I'm a sort of belt, braces and bit of string guy), and the nuts were not as tight as I'd like. So out with the 2.5 p torque wrench ( a dial jobbie), with 120NM marked in on the dial . It took a lot of effort to get them tightened and a few days later checked. This time no problems. So I now travel with my cheapo torque wrench in boot, in case of a puncture. But with one tyre fluctuating in pressure ( it stays at pressure for a few days then drops and after pumping stays likewise) ,I'm suspecting a midnight phantom tyre valve vandal , so I carry a can of the puncture repair stuff and a cigar lighter powered pump.

With regard to the OE tyre fitments referred to in the OP, Huskoda's advice is perfectly correct - the 50mph/80kph speed restriction applies because the 195/55R15 spare is a different size to the 205/45R16 tyres normally fitted (regardless of the fact that the diameters of these tyre sizes are almost identical). 

Under the UK Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations, tyres fitted to the opposite ends of an axle on a car must have exactly the same size marking. The size markings on these tyres differ in every respect - different section width, different aspect ratio, different wheel diameter. However, if one of the tyres is defined for "temporary use only" and speed is limited to 50mph, such mixing is permitted. The sticker applied to the wheel of the 195/55R15 spare defines this for temporary use only and it therefore becomes a legal fitment (but the 50mph limit must also be obeyed to avoid prosecution, the actual speed rating of the tyre is not relevant in this circumstance).

With the 195/55R15 winter tyres fitted, there is no need for the spare to be defined for temporary use only so the sticker could be removed and normal speed limits would apply. There is a potential problem. The spare will have a different tread pattern and tread rubber compound, and probably a different speed rating compared to the winter tyres. The law permits this mixing but motor insurers make up their own rules and it might lead to some difficulty in the event of a claim. The best practice would be to leave the sticker on and still treat it as a temporary spare and/or check with the insurer. 

We should be aware that vehicle regulations differ in other countries (even within the EU) so these rules might not apply elsewhere.  

• Like 1