Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2

Does anyone have these fitted on 18" wheels?

Am considering them to replace the Conti SportContact 2, as the label says they are 3db quieter, and better wearing from the reviews I've seen.

I've never tried any Goodyears on anything, so have zero experience!

Get good reviews across the board. I've had them on my Passat for a while and get about 24k out a front set vs 18k for contisport contact 3. I would say marginally noisier than the contis.

Very good in dry, wet and cold. Terrible on snow.

Does anyone have these fitted on 18" wheels?

Yes, I've done about 11,000 on mine so far - with 7-8mm left all round.  Definitely quieter than what the car arrived with - and better wearing: I think the originals were Continental SC2 - but can't remember.  Much better grip, especially in the wet, and the car feels much more settled in cornering - purely subjective, of course.  Can't comment on the snow performance in Devon :-)

I'm just about to replace my original SportContact 2's with Goodyear EfficientGrip. I've never been particularly happy with the front traction on acceleration in wet conditions, nor was I impressed with 16k miles (to 1.6mm) out of the SportContact 2's. It is of course a big front wheel drive car, so I have kept my expectations low.

You might have seen this:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-Top-15-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

If you Google "Auto Bild Sommerreifentest" you can use Translate to get more facts and figures, which is what lead me to settle on the Goodyear, hoping for better wet grip and a few thousand extra miles.

Ideally I'd have gone with Michelin Primacy 3 but they don't do it in a 225/40 R18.

I appreciated that the patterns and compounds have come a long way in the last couple of years thanks to the labelling and I think the SportContact 5 has a lot of good feedback, there's very little in it in the review test.

But to answer your original question, I've only had Goodyear Eagle A2's on a Golf GTI and they were average for a premium brand. The trouble is that people are always changing from 1.6 - 3 mm to 8-9mm of tread when they change tyre and probably with a compound & pattern update, so it's impossible to do a back-to-back comparison unless you are a car magazine!

Sorry, if that's all stuff that you know already!

Edited by artichoke273

Excellent tyres. Changed out the original contis for these at ~26k, and after about 18K they have ~6mm left all round so holding up well wear wise.

So highly recommended here.

That's a good price from camskill too, mine were about £120 fitted at the time IIRC

I had them fitted to my V6 about 1000 miles ago

They replaced my Conti 2's which lasted about 23K miles (had about 3mm left), I rotate the tyres front to rear every 5k miles to even out the wear, that and I like to replace all 4 tyres at the same time, makes life easy if you either want to change brands or a manufacturer stops making your old tyre.

Too early to comment much on the Eagles, but they appear to be very quiet, grip well, lets just hope the wear as well as the Conti's, or better . 

Edited by sadgit1

I'm coming around to Eagle's after reading some negative user comments elsewhere about soft tyre walls of the EfficientGrip.

Could I ask anyone with Eagle's if they have a decent side wall protector moulded in i.e. part of the tyre sticks out further than the wheel to protect against low speed kerb damage? The ContactSport 2's have that in their favour and have saved my alloys on many occasions.

Could I ask anyone with Eagle's if they have a decent side wall protector moulded in i.e. part of the tyre sticks out further than the wheel to protect against low speed kerb damage?

Yes, it seems much better than those on the SC2s. I've only managed to kerb a wheel once (Channel Tunnel transporter) since having the Good Years.  Previously I managed to kerb them regularly - turns out Dartmoor granite is quite unforgiving as a material for kerbstones :sweat:   Or maybe I'm just a better driver now :giggle: 

m.

Edited by Mark S Morley
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps. All sounding positive about the Eagles. I've got 3mm on the fronts and 4mm on the rears at the moment, at 18k miles. I think I'll get another 1,000 miles on the fronts at current wear rate, and probably another 10,000 on the rears.

I guess I could rotate them, and get another 5,000 miles total and then replace all 4 at the same time?

Could I ask anyone with Eagle's if they have a decent side wall protector moulded in i.e. part of the tyre sticks out further than the wheel to protect against low speed kerb damage? The ContactSport 2's have that in their favour and have saved my alloys on many occasions.

There's a pic of rim protector on post I did when I had mine fitted...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252071-fitted-2254018-goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-2s/

• Like 1

The OE PremiumContact 2E tyres fitted to my Greenline were outstanding- 50k for the front tyres and 85k for the rears (50k on the rear axle and then moved to the front axle where they lasted another 35k miles).

I'm now running on four Dunlop FastBluResponse tyres, which although being slightly more comfortable, have more flexible sidewalls. This equates to less precise handling, although, the silica enhanced rubber appears grippy in wet and dry conditions. I doubt they'll last anywhere like as long as the Contis.

Thanks chaps. All sounding positive about the Eagles. I've got 3mm on the fronts and 4mm on the rears at the moment, at 18k miles. I think I'll get another 1,000 miles on the fronts at current wear rate, and probably another 10,000 on the rears.

I guess I could rotate them, and get another 5,000 miles total and then replace all 4 at the same time?

I rotate mine when the fronts are down to about 2.5-3.0 mm, I have the Eagle A2's on a focus, they replaced original fit conti's on 18" rims. I noticed a big change in steering weight, more so than you would expect from fitting new tyres. The focus has adjustable steering settings and I switched from std to sport and the helm was still lighter than previous. This makes the car feel as though some of the grip has gone but after a little understeer the grip is still there. Takes a few miles to get used to but actually gives you more confidence and makes the car a bit easier to drive imho. Wear rate seems competitive so far with what I would usually expect. :sun: